Stop/ start frequency

abmat

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
How often do you experience your stop/ start activating?

On my 40tdi it hardly ever seems to activate, and if it does it’s really random. On some journeys it will, others it won’t. If stopping at lights I’ve tried applying the handbrake, putting it in P, both but nothing. Drive most of the time in efficiency but have tried other modes with no change.

we do get the coasting feature kick in, but compared to my works vehicle, where it kicks in pretty much every time you stop it seems non-existent on the A6.

worth booking in or is this normal?

My 45 TFSi engine cuts out all the time. It will depend on battery condition I think, and electrical system load (whether the A/C is on versus A/C Eco for instance). It's also sensitive to how much pressure you apply to the brake pedal. I notice that if I press more firmly it will cut the engine, but dab it lightly in slow moving traffic and it won't.

I run a/c on eco all the time, but have experienced the same with braking. I’m quite light on the brakes so that makes sense.

I was lent a TDi model when my TFSi was being repaired and actually I remember noticing that the start stop would trigger far less often than mine. I wonder if that was coincidence or not. I used my typical settings, A/C Eco and so on.
The loan car was a drug dealer spec A8L 50 TDi all in black, privacy glass etc. and I hated it. It drove sluggishly and handled like it was twice as heavy as my own car. Afterwards when my car was returned, neighbours came up and told me they had thought it was odd that I would have chosen that as my new car!

On my 40 TDI Quattro stop/start comes on frequently as I mainly use AC eco mode and also have a heavy foot on the brake LOL But I've gotten used to disable this feature everytime i fire up the engine so its not a huge bug bear anymore, its a damn shame it can't disabled pemanently in VCDS or OBD11.

Another thing to bear in mind is if the engine is up to temperature. Diesels take longer than petrols it’s the fastest I have ever seen in my 45 TFSI so stop/start is active very quickly.

Not for me I’m afraid. Kicked in last night after driving 300m from the house. Car hadn’t been driven all day.