Stop/Start on S-Tronic Gearbox

/dev/null

Reaction score
I have the 218ps Quattro S-Tronic and in the manual it states that when you're coming to a stop if you press lightly on the brake pedal then stop/start doesn't engage. A heavier press then engages. This would be very useful for when you know you're only going to have to stop for a second or two and don't want to go into SS, however mine seems to be extremely sensitive! I don't brake heavily regardless but it's extremely difficult to brake lightly enough to get it to not SS. The car slows down gradually and then just before it comes to an actual standstill it stops the engine. I've tried a feather-light touch and still the same. Sometimes I can get it to stay running from very low speeds, but anything "normal" (i.e. stopping from 30) then it's virtually guaranteed to SS unless you want to take 300 yards to pull up!
I asked the dealership if it could be adjusted and they said no, it's just how it is and if it bothers me then I should just disable it completely.

Just wondering what others experiences are of this "feature"?? And whether I should be considering taking it in and asking for it to be resolved under warranty if it's not meant to be so sensitive.

I have the 218ps Quattro S-Tronic and in the manual it states that when you're coming to a stop if you press lightly on the brake pedal then stop/start doesn't engage. A heavier press then engages. This would be very useful for when you know you're only going to have to stop for a second or two and don't want to go into SS, however mine seems to be extremely sensitive! I don't brake heavily regardless but it's extremely difficult to brake lightly enough to get it to not SS. The car slows down gradually and then just before it comes to an actual standstill it stops the engine. I've tried a feather-light touch and still the same. Sometimes I can get it to stay running from very low speeds, but anything "normal" (i.e. stopping from 30) then it's virtually guaranteed to SS unless you want to take 300 yards to pull up!
I asked the dealership if it could be adjusted and they said no, it's just how it is and if it bothers me then I should just disable it completely.

Just wondering what others experiences are of this "feature"?? And whether I should be considering taking it in and asking for it to be resolved under warranty if it's not meant to be so sensitive.

Ours works exactly as described in the manual, in that its easy to stop the car on the footbrake and NOT engage Start/Stop, but then press harder on the brake and then it does indeed engage Start / Stop - well Stop but you know what I mean.

Ours works exactly as described in the manual, in that its easy to stop the car on the footbrake and NOT engage Start/Stop, but then press harder on the brake and then it does indeed engage Start / Stop - well Stop but you know what I mean.

Hmmm... I'm sure mine must be too sensitive then. I make a conscious effort to try and stop without engaging the S/S and very rarely manage it.

Same car as you and same result. Our car has switched off before its come to a complete stop. This was not the case with my last A3 which you could control with the brake.

I also noticed that sometimes have switched auto stop off and back on again it won't stop the engine no matter how hard I press the brake pedal.

I tend to turn it off on the button when I don't want it.

Ah right - interesting. I wonder whether it is just luck of the draw then (a "featurette"). Or a common fault?

I think it states in the vehicle manual that the start/stop is activated before the car stop moving...

Mine works very well, as described in the manual

Mine works fine too - where it's different from my last car (Golf MK7) is that the hill hold does not kick in if you press lightly, but then stops engine if you press harder to hill hold! Ha can't win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you guys with stronic and hill hold put the car into neutral and pull on the handbrake? I've an a3 with hill hold but a manual gearbox and I always put the car in neutral and pull on the handbrake, I think of it as being kind to drivers behind me by not shining brake lights in their faces..

TBH no I don't, mainly because with Hill Hold it keeps the brake lights on. And when using the driver assist it does too when you are sitting in traffic. I think they do it as a safety thing as there is no way of knowing if there is a car behind you or not, and bright brake lights are spotted sooner than someone stopped with the handbrake on.

Even without hill hold, with the stronic it holds the car for a few seconds anyway?

Going back to the original point. What drive select do you have the car in? My works like the manual and as described by others, but if I put it in efficiency, it will turn off regardless of how hard I brake.

Aha - yes am in efficiency most of the time.

I was referring to being halted for more than a few seconds, yes I know hill hold puts on the brake lights as it applies braking to all four wheels. However, as stated, to be courtious to drivers behind, once they've pulled up, I always operate the handbrake and to prevent clutch wear I put the gearbox in neutral. That is how I was taught to drive.
I would have thought leaving a stronic in gear whilst stationary for any length of time will also cause clutch wear as well and might also cause the 'box to overheat.
I'll find out when I get the car on friday on how the car responds to my way of driving, I can see a learning curve for both of us as I adapt from having driven nothing but manual gearboxes all my life...

The way to do it is as follows:
Come to a halt on the footbrake, leave in `drive`, pull on the parkbrake...when ready to go simply push the accelerator. Job done.

I drive in "Auto" - I'll try changing that tonight and see if it's any different.

The way to do it is as follows:
Come to a halt on the footbrake, leave in `drive`, pull on the parkbrake...when ready to go simply push the accelerator. Job done.
That is how I have done it when I have driven stronics previously, however that was in traffic only stationary for something like traffic lights. When you get to traffic that is stationary for a long time what do you do. I guess in my case, is use the traffic jam feature and just let the car do the work. I gotta get my head around that one though and that'll be a whole new ball game. Interesting times...

Even without hill hold, with the stronic it holds the car for a few seconds anyway?

Going back to the original point. What drive select do you have the car in? My works like the manual and as described by others, but if I put it in efficiency, it will turn off regardless of how hard I brake.
I'm also normally in Efficiency so that might be why it so aggressive in stop/start, will try the other modes. Though I was also in Efficiency in my A3 and it behaved differently so will also RTFM, I just naively assumed it might be consistent across the models.

@dts439 I put it down to it differing because of improving the technology. The hill hold was never different in drive modes on Golf MK7, so guess it's bringing in more intelligence.

Tried different modes, no difference apart from dynamic which disables s/s completely because it puts the gearbox in S mode.