Stop the clock...Start the thread-My baby is home

I’m Sorry to hear dude, It horrible thing to have to do I never forget my buster died in my arms carrying him to the car to take him vet, walked in to the vets crying my eyes out

Reactions: tcg
Arh man.. that's a sad state of affairs, I hope your all doing okay. :(

Screenshot 20190113 204717 Chrome

Cheers guys...it was for the best...it's just left me with a hatchback when I should have a coupe!

Reactions: warren9022
well a TT is only half the price of an S3 with all the same problems.

Your hound was lovely and I am sure in a few months you will be after another companion - cockapoo or those French Bulldogs are very popular (although quite a few issues at this early stage of the breed - missing kidneys, bypassed bladders etc)

I would say avoid anything that is prone to eating it's own **** and taking 2 years to housetrain (shitzu etc) our ****-a-doodle-poo is great at over 10 now (mum cockapoo and dad large labradoodle)

best of luck to you are yours it's incredibly sad, I remember blaming our beagle (when I was a child) for dying for making us sad and reckoned the vet was wrong and it was still alive (although I cannot hardly remember it's name "judy" I think)

Could only ever be an English Pointer for me...but no more dogs,been there done that for 13 years.

Where i walk at night our dog regularly behaves like a pointer where it can't quite see something in the distance, you know where it is totally still, straight line from nose to tail, with one front leg in the air.

Sad sad times dude. I had to put down my fathers trusty work dog “black lab” he was 13, back legs gone, hardly eating, seizures. Incredible dog such a lovely character. The old man didn’t want to take him to the vet so I had to use the shotgun. Buried him in the garden next all the other various animals we’ve had to say goodbye too over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My old soldier had a raft of issues but it was old man's prostrate enlargement that stopped him being able to pee.

Not a working Pointer but he had a good time pretending as luckily we live in an area with a lot of game and wildlife.

FEB 17

Seems strange with no dog guard in the S3...he was that good that when I had my coupe,he would sit behind me on the back seat and I trained him to duck down when I needed to check the 'blind spot'...quality.

Reactions: CHEZ, S3AMJ, Stuart B and 2 others
ha ha - not at the dog passing but the exact photo I described, now imagine a curly haired cockadoodlepoo doing it - I'll get a photo. They really are concentrating - or pretending to be focused on some object in the distance or a sound they are hearing or a smell they are smelling. it's usually just nothing.

Warwick barked at a sleeping horse this evening to wake it up, animals just dont sleep standing up so stop not moving horsey. you are supposed to sleep upside down dreaming of eating ice cream and pizza

Has it really been 3 years!...it has been a smoother passage with regards to my S3 over the last year,it has behaved much better and adding the RNS-E certainly updated the center console.

After the loss of my faithful friend,I found some solace in Gumtree and picked up these from Exeter yesterday...

IMG 20190210 110618

17 x 7.5 ET35

So when I can afford to get them refurbed,if they're not knackered as they were a great price,so much so I had to take the Fiesta to collect them as if I had gone in the S3,the fuel would have cost more than the wheels.Hopefully they'll add a bit of kerb appeal to the S3 when they finally get sorted.

Car went in for it's annual oil change this week...it had also started a random rattle last week but nothing performance wise...turned out to be my old Nemesis,the aircon pump :rage: so now no aircon on the car just as the weather is improving.

That's two compressors in 18 months so won't be buying from that company again...still leaves me a sweaty black box to drive and the joy of sourcing a new pump and paying again to get it fitted and gassed.

I do wonder sometimes if these cars are jinxed,so many of us take way above more care on these S3 8L's than ever yet mine seems to bite me in the @r$e everytime I sit down in it.

Not a happy bunny me.

They must be jinxed cause I took mine to a garage this morn to find out if my exhaust was leaking only to find out it's the downpipe hitting some heat shield so no big prob there. They did find out that there is a large wet patch of oil gathering at the gear box which wasn't there 3-4 weeks ago when 3 drive shaft boots where fitted.

That's a bummer mate...also had to get my mech to tighten up the middle joint on my Milltek.

There's no hanger around the middle joint so keeps flexing and loosening,may have to get a hanger fitted to support it but right now my toothache is taking priority(ouch!)

At least that takes my mind off thinking how much my S3 annoys me...a bit like a game of Snakes & Ladders,except I seem to keep landing on a snake every throw.

That's a bummer mate...also had to get my mech to tighten up the middle joint on my Milltek.

There's no hanger around the middle joint so keeps flexing and loosening,may have to get a hanger fitted to support it but right now my toothache is taking priority(ouch!)

At least that takes my mind off thinking how much my S3 annoys me...a bit like a game of Snakes & Ladders,except I seem to keep landing on a snake every throw.
Some S3s came fitted with a middle hanger. Something you should source.. I know mine has one

Right guys,doesn't look like I'll have the budget to do my aircon for some time so I thought I'd go Old Skool Retro and use the windows!

Looking to get some wind deflectors to reduce buffeting and also stop the rain running down inside the car...really annoying.

I take it everyone goes for the TEAM HEKO ones,something like this?...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A3-S3-8L-3-door-1996-2004-Front-wind-deflectors-2pc-set-TINTED-HEKO/201868096761?fits=Car+Make:Audi|Cars+Type:S3+quattro&epid=1239501077&hash=item2f0046b4f9:g:pKAAAOSwlMFZHur7

Any thoughts,advice appreciated.

Also got confirmation from my mechanic that my fuel gauge sender is knackered so another job to add to the list :huh: this car seems to have two lists...one for jobs that need to be done and one for jobs I'd like to get done.

Don't seem to get much done on the second list as the first one keeps getting longer!

Cheers for confirmation mate...forgot to add I actually have three lists...

1. What needs doing
2. What I'd like to do
3. When do I sell it :bye:

Number 3 seems to appear in a reoccurring dream I keep having,where it takes the place of number 1 almost nightly!

Another job that I've meant to do since getting the S3 is to upgrade the interior bulbs to led but like most minor things like that they always seem to get bumped to the bottom of the list as more important things rear their ugly heads.

Happened to get lucky the other day whilst trawling ebay and found these...

IMG 20190524 145139

...for under a tenner :yahoo:a full set of interior/door/boot led's plus sidelight and number plate bulbs!

Still managed to pop the fuse 14 when I was adjusting the contacts on the red door lights and lucky I did as a previous knob owner had put a 7.5A instead of a 10A...****.

I won't bore you with the white light photo's as there's plenty about...things are brightening up,well at least inside the cab.

Bargain that but How it **** not a swear word but c r a p is?

Reactions: S3AMJ
Beats me mate,as together they describe both me and my car :blush:

Reactions: superkarl and S3AMJ
It's one of those little touches that makes a real difference, I'd defo recommend it to anyone who still hasn't done it

Now you see it...

IMG 20190926 105027

Now you don't...

IMG 20190927 122617

If only it was as easy as that...must be in the top ten chart on S3 8L frustrations Billboard...it only took me 4 hours...those door blades,don't you just love them.

Considering I'd taken this one off not long after I got the car and made sure I copper greasd all the screws,etc. I still ended up with one of the middle screws 'rounding off'...and yes,you guessed it,when I drilled it out the white plastic broke up and the nut was wrecked :rage:

Luckily found a nut in my vast collection (must open my tat museum someday) and did manage to resin bond it in place along with the white strip.

Sorry guys,no pics of the workings as I was so frustrated that such a simple job could be so annoying.

The S3 is in for it's MOT on Tuesday...so a restless night Monday for me no doubt.

Fingers crossed...

Reactions: DCH, superkarl and <tuffty/>
Did it pass the MOT?...you bet your R's it did!...and only a couple of minor advisories.

So when I picked it up I opened the windows to cool it down inside as my car it is currently non-aircon spec. and gets nice and toasty being black.

The passenger side window wouldn't work :blink: I know I had the door card off the other day but was sure I checked it was all working ok before refitting...obviously not.

Armed with my trusty philips screwdriver I thought I'd get started but just check the window function first and yes,it was working but not the one-touch function.I cycled the ignition and now it is back to functioning properly...what's going on there?...the S3 8L Gods playing tricks on me again!

Anyway,mustn't grumble,another year of highs and lows ahead,keep the faith guys...if I can with my S3 relationship,you guys will breeze it with the time and dedication with your builds.It puts me to shame reading them :blush: and I still have my set of RS4 reps to get refurbished,I've only had them in the garage for 9 months!

Reactions: ADs3 and DCH
Think of all that free time you have not dedicating yourself to a endless quest of trying to improve something that's never gonna be all that brilliant in the end anyway lol

I suppose I'm lucky as I have a guy who wants first refusal when I sell so at least I know I'm guaranteed to lose 8k when I sell mine :blush:

Reactions: ADs3
Been quiet on the S3 front lately...although it's a Good news/Bad news day as far as the replica alloys are progressing.

The Good news is...I've made some progress...the Bad news is...all I've done is buy some Audi wheel bags off ebay and stacked them away in the corner of the garage...maybe one day I'll find the budget to get them done,but not this year...

IMG 20191121 134350

As I've put the replica wheels on the back burner,I thought it was about time I smartened up my Avus alloys centre caps.I wasn't sure what colour to paint the grey bits that were looking shabby...

IMG 20191209 115205

So I decided to go with grey carbon vinyl wrap instead.I got a sheet from ebay for a few quid...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bubble-AIR-Free-3D-Carbon-Fibre-Vinyl-ALL-COLOUR-ALL-SIZE-Wrap-Textured-4-CAR/200801892626?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=500084409197&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The tool kit I used was...

IMG 20191209 123347

First I used the small philips screwdriver to push out the Audi logo rings from the back...

!!!!SPOILER ALERT - WHEN I DID THIS I BROKE AT LEAST TWO OF THE LUGS ON DIFFERENT CAPS - THEY ARE VERY FRAGILE AND IF YOU TRY THIS, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

Now that's over,on with the show.

Once I had got enough of a gap between the rings and centre cap,I used my 'handy' knife to prise them out.Next was the black surround ring which can also be pushed out from the back,there are several tabs and I used my flathead screwdriver to push each one a bit and went round all of them until it popped out...

IMG 20191209 115431

IMG 20191209 115453

My trusty knife and screwdriver were used to flake off the remaining paint and the cap was wiped with a white spirit cloth and dried.

I cut a square of vinyl wrap big enough to cover the centre part of the cap,applied it to the middle,then used the rounded end of a 'half' lolly stick to push the vinyl wrap into the grooves for the rings.I then used my sharp scissors to poke holes from the back to fit the rings.

Once I had the rings in place,I warmed the vinyl wrap with my heat gun so it shrank a bit and used the lolly stick to press around the outer edge and trimmed with my stanley knife...

IMG 20191209 131403

Just the black ring to pop back in...

IMG 20191209 131444

IMG 20191209 123627

My first wrapping event and not the best but look a lot better than before so that's a ladder for me...and not a snake this time :happy: I wonder where my next throw will take me...?

Reactions: tomjol and s3mad_dude
After smartening up the centre caps I noticed my calipers were looking like they would benefit from a bit of paint so used some gloss black engine paint and couldn't resist adding some S3 decals,albeit a bit wonky...

IMG 20191209 140414
IMG 20191209 140438
IMG 20191209 170108
IMG 20191209 170131

Time for some wheel spacers next...

Reactions: hydro s3 and ADs3
They've come up well with the decals:icon thumright:......stripped & rebuilt a pair of brembos last yr, already chipped & looking like they could do with a freshen up so it'll be powder coating next time

Cheers mate, not quite in the league of powder coated Brembo's but look better and with the wheels on you can't tell how wonky the decals are :blush:

Reactions: ADs3
I've started early...first job of the year carrying on with enhancing the look by adding wheel spacers. I've pondered the idea since getting my S3 and when I decided, I then couldn't make up my mind whether to go 10mm front/15mm back or 15mm front/20mm back as that seemed the most common pairings on here. I've read far too many posts, and viewed far too many pictures, which didn't really help. I thought 15mm was a definite so got a pair of 15mm bolt through Hubcentric spacers. These ones are with tapered bolts in preparation for my replica wheels so no good for standard wheels...luckily had some extended standard bolts already...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15mm-VW-AUDI-5x100-Hubcentric-Wheel-Spacers-57-1-bore-10x-TAPERED-Bolts-UK-Made/123795221261?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I took my car down to my tyre man and got him to fit both spacers on one side of the car and lower it down to the ground to see what a 15mm spacer looked like on the front and also on the back. Sorry guys, forgot to get a photo but to me 15mm on the back was not enough.

So I went 15mm front/20mm back. A special mention to @DPM for helping me choosing wheel spacers...he had nothing to gain from it but was willing to offer his help and advice, many thanks for that.

In the end I opted for FK Automotive Hubcentric bolt on 20mm spacers...

https://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/ca...-hubcentric-wheel-spacers-boltss3-8l-19992003

So for all you Geeks out there, I put a plum line down the center of both wheels with a ruler to show how close to the wheel arch the wheels approximately are...

Standard wheels and tyres
Standard suspension

Front
IMG 20200108 104404

Back
IMG 20200108 104853

Not an exact science but hopefully you can see the front wheels are still slightly further out, I might change the fronts to 12mm spacers in the future and see what they look like.

Hope you find it useful guys...here's some photo's from a few different angles...

IMG 20200108 115854

IMG 20200108 115822

IMG 20200108 115805

IMG 20200108 115741

Happy New Year spacers...keep the faith!

Reactions: ADs3 and DPM
Damn those Snakes and Ladders...last week started off well by picking up a secondhand pair of 12mm H&R spacers so swapped them over when I had two new front tyres fitted...looks better I think, but now wonder about 10mm on the front as although I knew they would stick out further than the back, I thought it wouldn't show too much but to my eye, they still look like there's an obvious visual difference between front and back wheel tracks.

I haven't taken a side on picture yet...for a reason I'll come too later...but my GF's Fiesta needed a new front shock in readiness for the upcoming MOT so I decided to change all four and let her take my car to work during the process...should have only took me a steady day but the second front top mount snapped a bolt on me when I was torquing it up :rage:

With the three top mount bolts you can only get to one with a torque wrench so I tightened the other two to the 'TT...TTF' setting just fine and sod's law it would be the one I could torque that would break. So I had to wait two days for a replacement which meant my girlfriend got some bonus mileage enjoying the S3.

Being the thoughtful BF I am, every morning I got my S3 out of the garage and warmed it up for her so she could 'boost at will'. Oh, of course, like a true male of the species, I didn't bother to adjust the seat/mirror combo from her 5'3" to my 6'0" height...why it's only a little reversing and turning...even an idiot could do that without trouble, couldn't they?

Well on the third morning, apparently not...

IMG 20200203 125911

Concrete fence post versus plastic rear bumper...what a See You Next Tuesday I am. As if I don't have enough jobs I either need or would like to do to my S3, bumper scratch repair is not one of them, hell I wouldn't trust my level of bodywork skill to improve that right now.

I'm really p1££ed off with myself...whilst improving my GF's Fiesta I have managed to make my S3 look like one of those cars you see parked in the supermarket car park and think...I'll avoid going near that one, it might be contagious.

Aaarrgghh!...rant over, I'm off to stick my head in a bucket of sand hoping when I resurface it might have gone away :blush:

Well guys...how are you coping?

Personally, I've been trying to practice social isolation for 54 years now, so for a person like me, it's not hard. I'm sure some people are worried so we all need to be nice to each other and get through this as best we can.

And now I've got my GF working from home until further notice!...it doesn't look like her boys will be racing for months, so spare a thought, she could be home all summer...might have to self isolate myself in my S3 to avoid any murders over the coming months.

Time for some positive news, I finally got round to taking my replica wheels to be refurbished today (whilst adhering to social distancing rules) it's only been 14 months since I bought them :blush: I also needed some new center caps and luckily the guy had a new set there that he sold to me for £20 so that saved me some hassle.

As I wasn't sure what shade of 'silver' to go for, I thought it best to let him match the colour of the wheels to the colour of the center caps as best he could with one being powder coated metal and the other sprayed plastic.

Should have them back in a couple of weeks if we're not in lockdown by then!

Stay safe everyone...time to give our S3's some love.

And when you're out, just as if you were following my S3...try to keep your distance :icon thumright:

'only a fool breaks the two metre rule'

Keep your spirits up guys.

Reactions: tomjol, S3AMJ, ClarkeS3 and 5 others
As expected, my replica alloys are ready but they can wait...my tyre man is closed anyway.

Good to read a few of you are spending some time on your S3's during Lockdown...just think,less mileage and more new parts...win,win.

Have been shopping for my elderly neighbours in isolation and another positive is that he had the tools to shorten the thread on 2 of my new locking bolts in readiness for fitting...

IMG 20200409 095931

Also purchased some standard length tapered bolts so we're good to go...

IMG 20200409 100059

Stay safe all...cherish what you have and enjoy what you can.

The cut on them bolts is pretty impressive........I know I need to get out more don't I lol.......don't we all atm though!

What are the replica alloys you have waiting to go on?

The cut on them bolts is pretty impressive

Probably the neatest part of my S3 when they get fitted...along with refurbed reps (17" 5x100 ) that hopefully look a lot nicer now than in this picture...

IMG 20190210 110618

Probably the neatest part of my S3 when they get fitted...along with refurbed reps (17" 5x100 ) that hopefully look a lot nicer now than in this picture...

View attachment 200648
And they'll be out of sight lol......those reps on the other hand are arguably one of if not the best wheel for our old 8l's:icon thumright: obviously I'm biased as I've a set fitted although there finished in gloss black..........wheel choice really is a personal thing, I reckon you've made a wise choice my friend

They're back...

#nopeeking

IMG 20200513 120504

Reactions: hydro s3 and S3AMJ