Storing the A4 For The Winter

CMD

Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
I may be storing the A4 for the winter months.. Do and Don't please.. The reason for storing the car is .

We have just bought this . Gti 1.8T Black Pearl

872629031-2-1.jpg

872639351-1.jpg

I just don't want to use the A4 or the Polo during the winter..

Lol it's an A4 mate not a concours e-type

Nice golf though. I loved my mk4 golf. Really fancy getting another anniversary tdi for the journey to work.

Reactions: bowen
My A4 means the world to me . 2004 was the Birth of the S-LINE.. The A4 wore The S-LINE Badge first on the A4 B6 190T it ran for only 1 YEAR Now day's every Audi that roll's out of the Factory has a S-Line Badge.. So for me The A4 B6 190T was the beginning of it all .

Thank You.

Lol fair do's mate.

I have an 04 tdi sport quattro. It looks identical to yours. Out of curiosity What's the difference between my sport and the s-line u have?

a mans pride and joy is worth parking up in the winter mate, fair play to you for doing so, TBH i dont take my A4 out much in the crap weather because of the other nob jockeys on the road, but i do take it out in the snow at night when all the wallys are off the road and its all mine to get jiggy with the Quattro!

The only time I've ever stored a car for the winter was a while ago.

It wasn't inside a garage unfortunately, but from what I can remember....

1) Battery. I left mine in the car and ran a cable from out underneath the bonnet, under the garage door to a trickle charger. If you don't have the facility to do this, then the only option is to take the battery out and keep it charged indoors. Don't let the battery fully discharge.

2) Engine; change oil and filter prior to storing, and then again when you start using it. I also stopped ignition to the motor when I went to use it again just to turn the engine over and make sure all the oil was distributed around before actually starting. I'd also recommend you get your cooling system flushed and replace all fluid; make sure that the anti-freeze/water mix is correct and that there are no leaks etc. If possible, leave the car in neutral (not in park if an auto).

3) Wheels / Tyres; try and keep the wheels/tyres off the ground if you can. If you can't, then check pressures weekly and top up as required. I've never heard of modern tyre's flat spotting from a few months of storage, but if this worries you, then try and rotate the wheels occasionally.

4) Fuel; there seems to be some conflicting info out there about whether to store with a full tank or an empty tank. I don't really have an opinion either way, but this is what I did. I ran the car I stored down to nearly empty, and I got a jerry can for a few fresh litres when I put it back on the road. I didn't have any problems with doing it this way, but it's up to you which way you want to go.

5) Brakes; if you can, store with the handbrake off. Pads have a habit of sticking to the calipers/discs when they're not used for a while. Also, if you can, back the pads away from the discs. I flushed the braking system and replaced the fluid prior to storage.

6) Bodywork / Interior; plastic and tarpaulin type covers don't work. You need to get a purpose designed soft car cover of the type that 'breathes'. They can be expensive, but they're worth it. Fully clean and polish all the bodywork prior to storage. Fully clean and valet the interior. If you've got leather, then some leather feed or such like to keep it soft so that it doesn't crack etc.

7) Other stuff you might want to consider; block up the exhaust so that moisture vapour doesn't get in; this also stops small rodents from making your exhaust pipe their winter home... use some water/moisture repelling lube to smear over all rubber seals. Lube the door hinges, boot hinges etc. Remove any CD's, DVD's and USB drives. Remove anything from inside and the boot that's likely to leak, go off or cause a smell. Get a new air freshner and put this inside.

That's about it.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: CMD
Loads of thing's are different.. Wheel's Five spoke 18's (rs6). Steering wheel and gear knob are perforated leather (steering wheel is badged). S-Line sill plates x4, Half leather seats, 190T engines. Rear door mouldings are badged, Log book also must state S-Line.

1) Battery. I left mine in the car and ran a cable from out underneath the bonnet, under the garage door to a trickle charger. If you don't have the facility to do this, then the only option is to take the battery out and keep it charged indoors. Don't let the battery fully discharge.

2) Engine; change oil and filter prior to storing, and then again when you start using it. I also stopped ignition to the motor when I went to use it again just to turn the engine over and make sure all the oil was distributed around before actually starting. I'd also recommend you get your cooling system flushed and replace all fluid; make sure that the anti-freeze/water mix is correct and that there are no leaks etc. If possible, leave the car in neutral (not in park if an auto).

3) Wheels / Tyres; try and keep the wheels/tyres off the ground if you can. If you can't, then check pressures weekly and top up as required. I've never heard of modern tyre's flat spotting from a few months of storage, but if this worries you, then try and rotate the wheels occasionally.

4) Fuel; there seems to be some conflicting info out there about whether to store with a full tank or an empty tank. I don't really have an opinion either way, but this is what I did. I ran the car I stored down to nearly empty, and I got a jerry can for a few fresh litres when I put it back on the road. I didn't have any problems with doing it this way, but it's up to you which way you want to go.

5) Brakes; if you can, store with the handbrake off. Pads have a habit of sticking to the calipers/discs when they're not used for a while. Also, if you can, back the pads away from the discs. I flushed the braking system and replaced the fluid prior to storage.

6) Bodywork / Interior; plastic and tarpaulin type covers don't work. You need to get a purpose designed soft car cover of the type that 'breathes'. They can be expensive, but they're worth it. Fully clean and polish all the bodywork prior to storage. Fully clean and valet the interior. If you've got leather, then some leather feed or such like to keep it soft so that it doesn't crack etc.

7) Other stuff you might want to consider; block up the exhaust so that moisture vapour doesn't get in; this also stops small rodents from making your exhaust pipe their winter home... use some water/moisture repelling lube to smear over all rubber seals. Lube the door hinges, boot hinges etc. Remove any CD's, DVD's and USB drives. Remove anything from inside and the boot that's likely to leak, go off or cause a smell. Get a new air freshner and put this inside.

That's about it.

Cheers.

Thank you very much.

My A4 means the world to me . 2004 was the Birth of the S-LINE.. The A4 wore TheS-LINE Badge first on the A4 B6 190T it ran for only 1 YEAR Now day's every Audi that roll's out of the Factory has a S-Line Badge.. So for me The A4 B6 190T was the beginning of it all .

Thank You.

the beginning of what ? a few badges is hardly the beginning of something, like has been said the 2004 sport looks just as good apart from a few badges.
the quattro was the real beginning, im not sure what the point of buying a audi 2wd is and then storing it in winter, you might aswel of bought a bmw which have better engines and better handling.
the whole point in buying a audi is for their quattro !

the beginning of what ? a few badges is hardly the beginning of something, like has been said the 2004 sport looks just as good apart from a few badges.
the quattro was the real beginning, im not sure what the point of buying a audi 2wd is and then storing it in winter, you might aswel of bought a bmw which have better engines and better handling.
the whole point in buying a audi is for their quattro !

I had 2 BMW'S 525D m SPORT AND THE 320d M Sport both 56 PLATES BOTH were crap.. The Point of the beginning is the S-Line. The S-line range started with the A4.. Everyone to there own.I also have a Polo 6n2 show car, year 2000 which is the run out model . Again very special to us..
I choose to store my car for the winter for the reasons stated WINTER. I'm lucky to work close to home so milage on the A4 and Polo are very low. Car's for me and my company are not a work tool's they are hobby's and have been all my driving life. . Don't knock what you don't understand.. The Golf GTI we have just bought will also be cared for in the same way. It's how we do thing's.

Last edited:
Nice and Dry In Storage, whilst working on it sadly only get to use this place a few times a year

IMG_0191-1.jpg

Storage Location 2.. (winter months)
IMG_0100-1.jpg

You dont seem to understand there is nothing that special about a sline apart from a few badges over the sport model wow!
You missed the importance of what quattro was to audi and went for a perforated steering wheel.
you had a oppertunity to buy a real audi quattro as a winter car and you bought a golf that will be useless in the snow and ice compared to quattro.
Why not get a quattro?
I can understand wanting to keep your street queen immaculate and at its best any buy a cheap car to get around in over the winter but why you opted for a front wheel drive when you could of had 4wd for the snowy,icy roads is beyond me.
4wd is better in them conditions than 2wd thats a simple fact.

Last edited:
With respect I think you've missed the point of what Colin is doing, and it isn't for you or I to determine whether the car is worth it. If Colin feels it is then end of story really.

Given that virtually every Audi coming out of Ingolstadt these days is an S-Line then I think the very rarity of a B6 S-Line which started the whole thing off makes it an interesting model, and there is more difference than a perforated leather steering wheel! You've only got to look on here at the "How do I make my car an S-Line" type threads to see how desirable the the true S-Line models are.

No one would dispute the effectiveness of quattro over fwd, but as Colin has said he lives close to work, and unless he lives deep in the Valley's (!) then I'm sure a fwd car will get him to work the same as it does 99% of the population 99% of the time.

Hello everyone,

The best thing to do would be to keep your car off the ground, on a jack stand for example.

If you're not able to do that, you should pump your tyres right up. Checking them once a week is totally unjustified, twice during the winter period should be enough, but during these checks you should roll the tyres forward, so that it's not always the same part of the tyre that's in contact with the ground.

I hope this helps!

I just dont get it and thats my opinion.
I also cant understand buying a 2 wheel drive audi, for 2 wheel drive the bmw is a much better drivers car and driving is what we do in them.
For 4 wheel drive its gota be audi for me with true heritage that doesnt consist of bells n whistles

Nice and Dry In Storage, whilst working on it sadly only get to use this place a few times a year

IMG_0191-1.jpg

Storage Location 2.. (winter months)
IMG_0100-1.jpg

Both look very cozy. Lol

Glad to see my akoya silver isn't the only one with different shaded bumpers compared to the rest of the paintwork. Why is it so bad on the b6.

You can go too OTT with "preperation"

If it were mine, i'd be concerned about tyres going flat (as in deflated) and the battery becoming drained. The engine itself isnt going to care if its parked for 2 weeks or 4 months. So long as the coolant has the appropriate level of antifreeze in it, it'll be fine.

I'd give it a good run (15-20miles at least) to drive all the cobwebs out, then park it up indoors and disconnect the battery (it doesnt need to be charged so long as its disconnected). Maybe stick a bit of extra air in the tyres and give it a good coat of wax to protect the paintwork. I wouldnt use a cover, they can cause more damage than just leaving the paint alone. If the place your leaving it is dry, then it might be an idea to open the windows a crack to allow air to circulate.

For every possible "do this" theres almost certainly a negative to it as well. Jacking the car up to take the load off the tyres for instance stresses all the rubber suspension components.

The fuel tanks are plastic, so theres no real advantage in keeping it full. My saloon sat on my drive for 8 months and still started and ran perfectly fine on the dregs of fuel that were left in the tank, so even if it does "go off" its still not going to stop it starting come spring.

the s line was also petrol not derv,

im hoping not to have to use mine over winter either, will be sat on the drive if the weather gets bad, plus the joys of having an old bin of a discovery to use if needs be

You dont seem to understand there is nothing that special about a sline apart from a few badges over the sport model wow!
You missed the importance of what quattro was to audi and went for a perforated steering wheel.
you had a oppertunity to buy a real audi quattro as a winter car and you bought a golf that will be useless in the snow and ice compared to quattro.
Why not get a quattro?
I can understand wanting to keep your street queen immaculate and at its best any buy a cheap car to get around in over the winter but why you opted for a front wheel drive when you could of had 4wd for the snowy,icy roads is beyond me.
4wd is better in them conditions than 2wd thats a simple fact.

I choose to buy my A4 fwd as i have NO need for a Quattro, less than 3 miles to work. I veiwed so many A4's more than i care to mention both fwd and quattro private and dealer stock. I bought this 1 owner car from a private seller with very low mile's (still low) and spot on service history (Not Long Life Service Crap) and the car's condition

People make there own choices when buying a car. Kid's Bus, Shopping Trolley, Transport for work, Fuel Economy,Engine or Look's.. I bought the A4 B6 S-line for me to enjoy. No Kid's Bus , Not for Work, Not for Shopping or Economy, Just for me to enjoy and to meet other Audi Owners..

Street Queen, you crack me up, shame you were not at last years RRD with ASN at Badger5. I take the car the loads of show's with ASN and other forum's and NOT at show and shine level , thats what the polo is for.. The A4 is NOT immaculate it's just clean and cared for that's all.

BMW's IN MY OPINOIN ARE CRAP.. Crap service schedule, Crap Customer Service, Crap Paint (thin), and Crap in the Snow (from what i have read and heard from owners) and will never own one again RIP OFF BRAND.

James is 100% correct when stating forum member's asking about S-Line Parts and Trim level . In the classifieds there are many A4's TDI's and Sport models for sale with S-Line part's and emblems , some dealers are even trying to sell them as S-LINE's . Check the ads for 2004 (04/54) B6 A4 S-line fwd or Quattro see how many you find that are the real deal. Remember 2004 A4 1.8T was the Start S-line

This is all i need to say about the matter and Hope your A4 ownership is as enjoyable as mine is with the 1.8T S-line

I agree that audi are better in everyway than bmw cars apart from handling in dry conditions and like for like their engines are better.
i also agree that alot of people like the s line styling but my point is that its not rare nor is it any type of turning point in audis history.
it was just the start of the s-line which 90% now are so its just become the norm.
i also see most people come and go, they join certain sites and say i want s-line this and mtec that and within a year they have moved on to a completely different make of car.
i also understand its your choice of what you wish to like/want but to me its like someone thinking that their 1996 mondeo is special car because only 1000 were made in that colour in that year.
i am a car trader and have had around 80 personal cars, pretty much 5 of everything and the nicest cars i have owned have been audi's.
i also know with first hand experiance that i sold a 2005 b7 a4 2.0tdi very easily for £4550 but had trouble selling the equivelant s-line because the s-lines are around £800-£1000 more in that bracket, so yes they are more desireable but the majority of people tend to save their money and buy the lesser spec model just to get into a b7 a4.
i also recently sold a 54 plate b6 a4 2.5tdi sport which looks almost identical to the s-line and again ive sold the standard models alot easier because most people choose to save their cash and buy the base models, at least thats what i have found in the second hand market.
my quattro is a little rough but its just a run about that i got very cheap, i also find to keep a car in great condition is very hard due to idiots in car parks.
when people have owned as many cars as me they tend to start using them as tools and thats it as you lose alot of regard for them except very rare cars or very special cars.
anyway thats enough of that rambling, i hope you continue to care for your car as much as you obviously do.

Last edited:
The S-line Brand must of been a turning point for Audi as everything Audi roll out is wearing the S-Line emblem there number 1 seller
Car Enthusiast's and car dealers are world's apart ..

as mentioned above about people sticking s line stuff onto there cars, ill admit ive turned my tdi sport into an s line wannabe all the s line parts are on there, door sill gaurds, steering wheel, side badges, exhaust/rear bumper, rs6 style wheels (all though polished finished) but all genuine parts, the only part inside the car that isnt s line is the gear knob, but this is due to me fitting an aftermarket one,

as regards to people not wanting to spend a little extra on a sport / s line model i would disagree, when i was looking for an A4 it had to be a sport model with all the extras, its all down to personal taste.

The S-line Brand must of been a turning point for Audi as everything Audi roll out is wearing the S-Line emblem there number 1 seller
Car Enthusiast's and car dealers are world's apart ..
Not a turning point, they just capitalised on the sales and made it common.

as mentioned above about people sticking s line stuff onto there cars, ill admit ive turned my tdi sport into an s line wannabe all the s line parts are on there, door sill gaurds, steering wheel, side badges, exhaust/rear bumper, rs6 style wheels (all though polished finished) but all genuine parts, the only part inside the car that isnt s line is the gear knob, but this is due to me fitting an aftermarket one,

as regards to people not wanting to spend a little extra on a sport / s line model i would disagree, when i was looking for an A4 it had to be a sport model with all the extras, its all down to personal taste.
I was not talking about you it was a generalisation! And you cant say everyone has the same outlook as you so whats your point?

I was not talking about you it was a generalisation! And you cant say everyone has the same outlook as you so whats your point?
If you have read something you cant understand just ask. Over and out.

Last edited:

That's about it.

Cheers.
You missed out:
8) Cover up to exhaust pipes in duvet, but leave them free to breathe;
9) Leave a warm hot water bottle on the driver's seat to prevent chills;
10) Leave a TV/DVD on in the corner to prevent your pride and joy getting bored (something like Ronin would be good for an Audi);
11) Use a 2 way baby monitor to constantly keep in contact and just to let it know you care;
12) Prior to leaving your pride and joy, ensure you read it a bedtime story - this is most important as an upset car left for winter is likely to slit it's brake lines.....

Alternatively, stick it in a friggin garage and pick it up when it gets over it's fear of rain/snow!!!:scared2:

Reactions: gkf9
Not a turning point, they just capitalised on the sales and made it common.

It must of been a turning point as the demand was there and since 05 Audi have capitalised from the S-Line Brand, Common YES on all the Model range from 2005 to present. This topic will go for ever as we both have different outlooks on car's, yours is Value and Practicality. Mine is my living,Hobby and long term ownership along with enjoying the clubs,show and event's... Same with the Golf I have veiwed loads of Golf GTI's (since june) again Dealers and private.. I traveled from Wales to Plymouth to buy it, again i wanted a clean well maintained car.

The bottom line is as stated before The S-line emblem and Trim level and engine spec was placed on the A4 B6 it's as simple as that, i'm not braging about it i'm just happy that i own one. I'm 40 years old and have owned many car's most were RS's GTi, Gsi 'm sport' brand's but my A4 just feel's like the complete package.

Last edited:
You missed out:
8) Cover up to exhaust pipes in duvet, but leave them free to breathe;
9) Leave a warm hot water bottle on the driver's seat to prevent chills;
10) Leave a TV/DVD on in the corner to prevent your pride and joy getting bored (something like Ronin would be good for an Audi);
11) Use a 2 way baby monitor to constantly keep in contact and just to let it know you care;
12) Prior to leaving your pride and joy, ensure you read it a bedtime story - this is most important as an upset car left for winter is likely to slit it's brake lines.....

Alternatively, stick it in a friggin garage and pick it up when it gets over it's fear of rain/snow!!!:scared2:

And yet they still keep coming.. My A4 is not a show Pony.. I Follow the Club event, Meets, RR Days, Shows and everything VAG . Rain Or Shine.. There are to many Forum know All's but Know Nothing about being a Car enthusiast.

Last edited:
And yet they still keep coming.. My A4 is not a show Pony.. I Follow the Club event, Meets, RR Days, Shows and everythign VAG . Rain Or Shine.. There are to many Forum Now All's but Now Nothing about being a Car enthusiast.
I think you'll find my ironic response was toward the wire.
By the way, it's Know All, and I am a car enthusiast but only to a point.......

Stand corrected .. Car enthusiast to a Point ??

CMD, the_wire has it all comprehensively covered there!

If I can just step over the argument about whether it's worth storing your car, all I will say is that it's your car, and you can do what you want with it. It's special to you, so fair play to you for wanting to look after it over the winter. It's clearly not just a commodity to you, and I don't understand why some are trying to say that it should be...

And, I have to say, yours is one of the finest B6's I've ever seen on here. In fact, you've just inspired me to de-chrome my grill too, as all my other trim is already black, and yours looks fab! :)

You dont understand because im not trying to convince him of anything just giving my point of view. But can not understand why anyone would think that the sline is a turning point in audis history as it clearly isnt.
If you define a company that makes more slines to suit the new market demand in a company that was doing extremely well anyway as a turning point in the history of that company then mine and your definition of a turning point is different.

CMD, the_wire has it all comprehensively covered there!

If I can just step over the argument about whether it's worth storing your car, all I will say is that it's your car, and you can do what you want with it. It's special to you, so fair play to you for wanting to look after it over the winter. It's clearly not just a commodity to you, and I don't understand why some are trying to say that it should be...

And, I have to say, yours is one of the finest B6's I've ever seen on here. In fact, you've just inspired me to de-chrome my grill too, as all my other trim is already black, and yours looks fab! :)

Thank You .. I have now put the the Chrome grills back on, only due to me not having any time to rpaint the black ones (stone chips)

Looking super clean there col! that polo is a right little minter too! what engines in that again..?

Looking super clean there col! that polo is a right little minter too! what engines in that again..?

Long time , How's thing's and where have you been

Last edited: