Strange Groaning Noise when turning left

scoobyra

It's not f@cking ORANGE!!!!!
Reaction score
As above, at slow or fast speeds, and not on full lock either. Could this be the Power Steering Rack/Pump??

you have to remove the panel that also covers the windscreen wash tank and its under there, with a green lid. I just put halfords powersteering fluid in mine... its all the same

Mine was the same a few months back - odd whine when turning, at any speed. Tried topping it up, but the level was fine. Turned the car on with the cap off and the fluid immediately went bubbly. Turned out the seals around the pump had gone. Was an afternoon job, £200 including the new pump and VAT.

you have to remove the panel that also covers the windscreen wash tank and its under there, with a green lid. I just put halfords powersteering fluid in mine... its all the same

bad advice J! that's going to cost you in the long run. unless you have bought the right stuff and not explained it properly!

VAG power steering fluid is not the same as other cars. Most cars just use ATF, which is about £5-6 a bottle in halfords. VAG stuff is actually mineral based, and if shopping in halfords, you'll need their central hydraulic fluid, at about £14 per bottle!

I put normal ATF in mine a few years ago, and about 9 months later the seals in the rack went.

Green mineral stuff from GSF is only about £7 for 1.5 litres

Someone had placed red ATF in the tdi PAS before I bought it, it used to lock up the steering until I changed and 95% of the problem has gone now, Red ATF is no no for me, eventhough I have heard some garages saying its all the same! comma do a good one.

bad advice J! that's going to cost you in the long run. unless you have bought the right stuff and not explained it properly!

VAG power steering fluid is not the same as other cars. Most cars just use ATF, which is about £5-6 a bottle in halfords. VAG stuff is actually mineral based, and if shopping in halfords, you'll need their central hydraulic fluid, at about £14 per bottle!

I put normal ATF in mine a few years ago, and about 9 months later the seals in the rack went.

Green mineral stuff from GSF is only about £7 for 1.5 litres

Oh really... I'm pretty sure the one i bought was mineral based... but will double check. Not sure if I'd blame the seals going on the fluid... Could be coincidence. Typical Germans