Sportback Strange noise from transmission

GW1

Reaction score
I have had my brand new RS3 for just over a week now and put some 500 miles on the clock. The other day I was in some very slow moving stop start traffic and I heard this strange bang/knocking noise, which sounds like backlash from either a CV joint or gearbox, or propshaft, I would just like to add that I have been driving the car with a lot of mechanical sympathy. I can replicate the sound very easy by, accelerating and quickly lifting off the throttle and quickly accelerating again and then you here the bang come backlash. I have come from a new 2017 S3 which didn’t have any noise whatsoever. I wonder if anyone else has heard this on their cars and I have nothing to be concerned with or is it a trip to the dealership. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Sod that , brand new RS3....... I'd be straight back to the dealership mate

Sent from my Nokia 8 using Tapatalk

If you are concerned then best get it back to the dealer.

At 500 miles everything is still tight and new, mine was a bit clunky for first thousand miles or so, it takes a bit of time to settle down. Dont be too gentle on it, get the oil hot then give it some, get some boost built and some fuel flowing

Reactions: GW1
If you are concerned then best get it back to the dealer.

At 500 miles everything is still tight and new, mine was a bit clunky for first thousand miles or so, it takes a bit of time to settle down. Dont be too gentle on it, get the oil hot then give it some, get some boost built and some fuel flowing
I like your mindset.

Reactions: T-800 and Dan_DJT
...I can replicate the sound very easy by, accelerating and quickly lifting off the throttle and quickly accelerating again and then you here the bang come backlash. I have come from a new 2017 S3 which didn’t have any noise whatsoever. I wonder if anyone else has heard this on their cars and I have nothing to be concerned with or is it a trip to the dealership. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

1. Back to dealer
2. Lift off then back on throttle - how low did revs go? Could be confusing the gearbox as it’s trying to change down itself?

1. Back to dealer
2. Lift off then back on throttle - how low did revs go? Could be confusing the gearbox as it’s trying to change down itself?
No this isn’t the DSG, I have had four Audi’s and never heard this before. I have been out today and even if I drive at say 60 and I lift off and back on again it does it. I don’t think it’s the gearbox, It’s not a bang like I originally thought it more like a clunk. Still it’s going into the dealership so I will ask them to have a look at it.