Strangest mod in history on used S3 has set me back £500 quid

B1GW1L

Reaction score
Well its today was service time for my S3 i dropped it into jkm in portsmouth having only bought it at the weekend.

All seem well apart from some issues i was aware of , that was until i got a phone call to say we've found something......

What was found was a beer can at the front of the car hidden in the front of the engine bay to this someone had altered the engine breather system capping off various pipes and redirecting them aswell if i can ill get a picture up.

However im now setback £500 quid to put it right . Anyone know why some ******* would have done such a thing. Id like to have a stern chat to them!!!!

Sounds like a cheap catch can setup??!! Don't pay the £500 and put some photos up so we can advise you.

Christ, do not pay £500 or you want slapping, itll be a cheap catch can setup, as said post pics and well tell you what needs sorting, itll be £50 more like.

I assume the £500 will be to buy all the vac pipes/valves etc, brand new from audi and put it back as standard...

Easily sorted for around £100 for a more permanent affair....:)

Westy will have your old can if its spare...:happy:

What the hell were JKM gonna do??? I got a quote for them for a head gasket. £800 + VAT, for labour ONLY!!!!
got it done at a third of the price elsewhere.

Id personally go for a proper catch can set up with oil grade hose and vent atmos at rear of the car. You can mount the can by the battery or on the bulkhead depending on if you relocate some fuses.

If u want good oil grade hose try Roose Motorsport in Lincoln they are cheap and they do next day delivery which doesn't cost a packet either.
Olly

Haha beer can? Bluddy pikeys.. Someone had an AH fab catch can for sale somewhere...

Dude, this is the most legendary discovery ever! A beer can used as a catch can, I did proper LOL.

What beer was it? That will tell us a lot about the individual that put it there...

That was Future (Tom) not sure if its still for sale though.

Well Pic's will be up later this afternoon.

I am a little worried that there is more to this than meets the eye, as there is some smoke on start up nothing major but its there. It only smokes when its been left for a long period of time. From having a look i would guess that its oil residue as when the car is hot there is no smoke what soever.

Really hoping someone can help me out with this

Worse case scenario will be you need to do the full pcv delete and do a proper catch can setup which is defo alot less than £500 plus it will help eliminate potential boost leaks too

As Promised here are the pics

Drivers side :

20120907_152333.jpg

Close up :

Untitled.jpg

Engine with cover off:

20120907_152535.jpg

Beer Can:

20120907_152538.jpg

Close up

20120907_152256.jpg

Checking the can it seems pretty full up . Im thinking thats why im getting a little smoke in the mornings? it also isnt sealed correctly.

Also whilst im here anyone know where i can get replacement clips for the engine cover? or even a better engine cover.

Yeh thats a bodgefest, but no need to spend a million quid sorting it.

Follow the guide above about fitting the catch can properly and it'll be fine, you should have change from £100.

My only worry is that whoever murder my poor car has cut too many pipes ? Could i use the current setup with a Proper catch can? or is it best to start again>?

Im sure ill get some more replies

Start again, all you need us some 19mm hose , a t Peice and a couple 90 elbows to go with a catch tank, plus a breather filter, it'l be sorted!

Good to see its not the end of the world,see if any ASN members nearby would give you a hand to fit a can in exchange for beer

Lmfao, that is withot a doubt the most funniest/****est atempt at fitting a catch can i have every seen.

The greedy f@@ker could have used a premium lager...lol
Instead of that f@@kin pish.............. Don't worry pal there are plenty of other things to spend your 1st £500 on.....lol

well your doing the PCV relocation take that right mess of the top of your coil packs called N249 valve just relocated and keep it electrically connected mate...

for your set up.. you need a catch can 19mm oil grade hoses, i used a one way check valve with 8mm silicone hose and used the same set as Sam_ on the forum abit pricey but beats the ****ty Audi plastic pipes they have.

Okay gonna have a look on online for the parts im guessing im going to need a step down from 19mm to whatever the catch container setup uses

any prefrence on catch containers guys?

Last edited:
Okay gonna have a look on online for the parts im guessing im going to need a step down from 19mm to whatever the catch container setup uses

any prefrence on catch containers guys?
Saikou Michi's are 19mm in/out. Expensive but very nicely made.

After seeing that I would check the oil, make sure it's not Asda smart price lard in there lol.

But like everyone has said, its recoverable.

Do not change the carling can to stella though, your car will want to beat up every other car on the road lol.

The smoke could be caused by the full can but thats only if it's still been vented in to the tip, if it's venting to atmos, then prob another issue (again prob nothing major)

Yeah its a full can now emptyed, no smoke :cool: Going to by the Saikou Michi Can and Vent to air also going to put in new piping so like all you guys said its recoverable.

Only question i have is what to do with the hockey puck valve? and the connection to tip.

Ill post pictures in the coming weeks once i have all the parts and im also going to do some improved diagrams to share.

Many thanks to all of you guys you've been a great help.

So let me get this right, you bought the car and took it for a service only to be told THE GARAGE saw this mod.

Did you just look at the outside of this car and thought, that looks nice I'll buy it !
Hope you got the car for a good price, either way I would have taken a few hundred quid to sort this mess out.

Only question i have is what to do with the hockey puck valve? and the connection to tip.

If you're going to vent to atmosphere you just need to block off the hose on the TIP with a 19mm alloy bung and also bin the hockey puck as its no longer needed.

If you look in the catch can thread I did I think it's got all the info of my can install and I'm running a saikomichi can to atmos.

So let me get this right, you bought the car and took it for a service only to be told THE GARAGE saw this mod.

Did you just look at the outside of this car and thought, that looks nice I'll buy it !
Hope you got the car for a good price, either way I would have taken a few hundred quid to sort this mess out.

Nice to see troll's still exist on forums

Not having any real knowledge on Audi engines I did inspect the car and all seemed okay, the beer can itself was hidden by the battery cover with the can concealed in the front of the engine bay.

Thanks to those that have had a laugh and didn’t try to ridicule me.

Westy your guide is fab mate ill bung up the TIP as suggested.

Have you considered a stealth catch can? Ships from Awesome GTI rather than outside the Uk

42 Draft Stealth Oil Catch Can - Golf Mk2/Mk3/Mk4

As Westy said, ditch the hockey puck, then no oil vapour is going back to the turbo! Whilst your at it get a badger5 TIP in there and you'll have a clean TIP in there too. If you need a hand at any point just PM me, I'm local to you :icon_thumright:

Have you considered a stealth catch can? Ships from Awesome GTI rather than outside the Uk

42 Draft Stealth Oil Catch Can - Golf Mk2/Mk3/Mk4

As Westy said, ditch the hockey puck, then no oil vapour is going back to the turbo! Whilst your at it get a badger5 TIP in there and you'll have a clean TIP in there too. If you need a hand at any point just PM me, I'm local to you :icon_thumright:

You Beauty !!!! thats perfect ill be grabbing one of those.

Well the good news is that i did a proper inspection and as it stands the hole pcv delete has been done already just not to a real catch can .... strange.

So the plan is the following , replace all tubing with silcone in red :) fit a new tip and an in line valve rather than the t valve i think its going to look real good and ill post some pics at the end of the month before i go off to the Nurburgring

Thanks for the link Ads spot on mate!!!

Just a last question

In regards to the hosing 19MM and 8MM are these internal measurements need to know so i order the right silcone hoses.

Well Here it is finnally Fitted and all working

Before

20120907_152305-1.jpg

After

DSC_0013.jpg

and a few more

DSC_0015.jpg

Finnally

DSC_0017.jpg

Well thats that.

I'm now going to start a new build thread with my first purchase being a badger5 tip :) thanks again for your help guys

Good job, but I don't understand why people mount them there, when I did mine, I mounted it on the battery cover, looked much tidier. Does it feel any better?