strong vibration on steering wheel when +60-70mph

wxc

Reaction score
Hi

I've searched a bit about the possible reasons behind steering wheel vibration. Ive been told the vibration felt in the steering wheel meant the issue stems from the front NOT rear tires. One thing I could rule out though is the pair of front Michelin tires are only 2 months old and have been balanced properly I would hope.

Are there any other reasons ?

Thanks
Will

How long has it been doing it? Theres alot of things it could be...

Balances fell off or damaged?
Wheels buckled/bent/damaged.

Theres more that could be to do with the steering etc, but its probably something simple!

Bolts on the wheels might not be torqued properly - that will cause your problems big time.

Not sure how long its persisted for, this is a friends a3, its hard to believe the balances would be damaged and the alloys are 16", but I will do a visual inspection tomorrow.

I'll also check the wheel bolts are secured properly just in case.

I thought about getting it in for a wheel alignment tomorrow but not sure if its going to solve the problem, will check the tire tread when I see it again tomorrow and report back !

wheel alignment issues are normally more to do with pulling one way or another, if they've hit a pothole recently then the wheel might be damaged.

Reactions: wxc
Thanks Dave ! The car certainly isn't pulling to the sides, that has saved me a visit to the garage :)

I've got a similar issue on my car. Although it's more prominent 75-85 then seems to ease off.

I've not had the time to look at it yet so I'll be interested to see the outcome of yours. I originally thought it could be wheel alignment or damaged/buckled alloy but had it in the garage and no damage and alignment is ok.

Sure, I'll let you know how it goes. But first thing I'll do is as above, visual check on the alloy and check wheel but bolts

I would say that you need to get the wheel balance checked again. The stick on balance weights they use these days sometimes come off, especially if they don't clean the dirt, mud and brake dust off well enough before they attempt to stick them on.

Cheers. Okay thanks, I'll get them checked again. Nice and easy to do.

Alternative Theory : unbalanced/damaged driveshaft can cause very similar issues.

Reactions: Adam_A3_
I had this problem on more than one occasion. First time, one of the weights fell off. So at higher speeds it would vibrate like mad.

The second time, it turned out to be the inner cv joint. Eventually it would start vibrating at lower speeds then even lower speeds. Get your car on a ramp and have all shafts etc inspected.