Facelift Stuck brake disc

Rs3Life

Reaction score
Hi all,

I used clamps and metal bar on driver side and it popped after a little of pressure but I'm a bit lost as my passenger side brake disc is stuck and I can't get it off.

I have used penetrating WD but now I'm reaching the bending point of the bar :rage:

Do you have any tips? (I don't want to hammer the **** out of disc, just the idea of using hammer does not sound great.)

Is it possible that the hub(wheel bearing) was somehow damaged and I would need to replace that?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Hammer, heat or both I think. Looks like the holes in the hub part of the disc can let in a lot of water so probably corrosion/rust between hub and disc. Sometimes a quick tap with a hammer will break the bond in the rusty surfaces so you might not need to bash it like there’s no tomorrow. It’s unlikely you will damage anything else other than the disc with the hammer, there isn’t enough space there to swing hard anyway.
Have you removed the retaining screw? Not trying to make you look stupid but when you been at something for ages it’s easy to forget about the simple things. We’ve all done that and got that T-shirt :)
Only other option if all else fails is hub off and get it on a hydraulic press.

Reactions: Rs3Life
Hammer, heat or both I think. Looks like the holes in the hub part of the disc can let in a lot of water so probably corrosion/rust between hub and disc. Sometimes a quick tap with a hammer will break the bond in the rusty surfaces so you might not need to bash it like there’s no tomorrow. It’s unlikely you will damage anything else other than the disc with the hammer, there isn’t enough space there to swing hard anyway.
Have you removed the retaining screw? Not trying to make you look stupid but when you been at something for ages it’s easy to forget about the simple things. We’ve all done that and got that T-shirt :)
Only other option if all else fails is hub off and get it on a hydraulic press.
Hi mate thanks I will continue.

Yeah I did check 5 or 6 times if the retaining screw is off as I started having my own doubts heheh :laugh: Hope It will crack after good night soaking in a WD40.

But heating sounds like something that I might try.

Reactions: AlS3BE
Hi mate thanks I will continue.

Yeah I did check 5 or 6 times if the retaining screw is off as I started having my own doubts heheh :laugh: Hope It will crack after good night soaking in a WD40.

But heating sounds like something that I might try.

I’ve had the retainer screw break and leave a bit inside but still enough to hold the damn thing in place. Lots of cursing, drilling, hammering to sort.
Careful with the heat, wd40 is flammable

I’ve had the retainer screw break and leave a bit inside but still enough to hold the damn thing in place. Lots of cursing, drilling, hammering to sort.
Careful with the heat, wd40 is flammable
Hahaha good point :D If I will not message back with a nice picture of changed disc and you will hear about some explosion in estate garage on tv, that will be me :D

I swear by Würth Rost off Ice. https://eshop.wurth.co.uk/Product-c...-Ice/31083008050103.cyid/3108.cgid/en/GB/GBP/

On reassembly clean the hub up and smear with copper grease, makes getting them off in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi mate, I read in many places to not do that: 'smear with copper grease'. I also did get the service manual and they mention only to grease the pads on the break caliper touch points only. Do you have any source of that tip?

Hi mate, I read in many places to not do that: 'smear with copper grease'. I also did get the service manual and they mention only to grease the pads on the break caliper touch points only. Do you have any source of that tip?

No I mean the hub when you fit the new disc.

I always put a thin smear of copper grease on the hub before mounting the new disc.

Never had any issues with the transmission of power or braking.

And makes the removal of the disc next time a breeze.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rs3Life and Count Drunkula
I always put a thin smear of copper grease on the hub before mounting the new disc.

Never had any issues with the transmission of power or braking.

And makes the removal of the disc next time a breeze.

Thanks mate I will do the same.

Good news guys I managed to get it off with a little spins, hammer and more pressure on clamps :D

Rusted as f...

Reactions: Count Drunkula, 8YARWY and AlS3BE
Hammer never fails.
Think it’s a vag thing that hub getting rusty probably doesn’t help on the RS that’s there’s holes around the disc to let more water in. Every one of my vag cars the wheels get stuck on the hub and requires a bit of force to get off and that’s with greasing the hubs before fitting. Never had it on any of my other cars before.

Reactions: Rs3Life