Stuff you dont like or dont need on your RS3

Beebee-one

Reaction score
Had my car a few weeks now (not counting the week the dealer had it recently) and can't remember enjoying a car as much. However, nothing is perfect so I thought I would list a few things that I actually don't like about the options or standard items fitted to the car. Note: this is not about how it drives ie; understeer/oversteer blahdy blah, but just about the fittings and other bits and bob's that we have all paid extra cash for or comes as standard from Audi.

So here we go... a Victor Meldrew moment.

1) The advance key: given the choice I would not spec this item. I had this on my S4 but when you got in the car the keys could be put into a slot in the dash which is nicely out of the way. On my RS3 the keys either ends up in one of the drinks holders/smokers ashtry pot (taking up storage space) or left in my pocket. If the latter, the big bunch of house keys on the keyring start to dig into your body after a few minutes. Would prefer a nice ignition slot for the pop out key.

2) The Stop/Start feature: what the hell is this doing on a performance car anyway, I always switch it off before leaving the drive. If I forget to switch it off, my heart sinks when it stops as I think it is the dreaded cutting out again (see RS3 gremlins thread). Do you switch yours off?

3) Dont like not having an engine temperature gauge - now I know there is an oil temperature in the Lap Timer menu but it justs feels strange not knowing exactly when you can start to use more rpm. Why did they not put it where the boost gauge is located (does anyone actually look at this when you are giving it full throttle?) No doubt on other models this is where the temp gauge is located.

4) Drive Select mode not staying selected when starting the car - it starts up in dynamic and then defaults back to auto (or whatever). To get it back to dynamic you have to re-select it. I can see that this probably helps to protect a cold engine, but when the engine is up to temp its a bit annoying.

5) Manually operated super sports seats - the standard sports seats could be specced with electric adjustment, why didn't the SS seats have the electric option they are not that much different surely?

So there we go. It's not a perfect car, but even with all the above it's still damn good!:yes:

Reactions: pburv and Snake Pliskin
I keep the key on its own in my pocket separate from house keys.

The above combined with the start stop means I never actually stop the car. I put it in park, engine stops itself, I get out and opening the door turns the ignition off. So I quite like the 2 features combined for this reason.

You can VCDS it to put oil temp on the main scroll of the DIS rather than the lap timer so is much more accessible

DS re-selection is my biggest bug bear, first thing I do is cycle the modes when I get in.

Electric memory missing is very annoying as I share the car with the Mrs, so agreed on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good list & I'd go along with most of those too.

I would just add ...

Stereo always turning on every ****** time ... why ????

Reactions: Terminator x
Item 1 - Audi have a fix for that. You can buy a "cup" that slots into the drink holder. But its not a cup, its a key holder and has a special slot that takes the key and loose change. :relieved:

I have another one to add, the section of alcantara on the steering wheel.

I thought it was ok when I first got the car but now I kind of think that I would prefer the whole of the steering wheel to be leather.(an option perhaps)

I can see some plus points, such as it wont burn your hands on a really hot day if the car is parked in the sun, and maybe better grip in some circumstances. But will the alcantara section be worn and shiney in 12 months time?

I have another one to add, the section of alcantara on the steering wheel.

I thought it was ok when I first got the car but now I kind of think that I would prefer the whole of the steering wheel to be leather.(an option perhaps)

I can see some plus points, such as it wont burn your hands on a really hot day if the car is parked in the sun, and maybe better grip in some circumstances. But will the alcantara section be worn and shiney in 12 months time?

Top part of mine is going shiney already after 7 months/7k miles. But proper maintenance will keep it looking good. Mine will be getting some love in July from my detailer.
It's actually pretty simple to keep it plush and soft if you have a Google.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbf it is leather on the bit you touch / steer with, the alcantara is more for show imho.

TX.

Reactions: jimojameso
SSS are a waste of money, the standard seats are better IMHO as they have alcantara on they which provided more grip, my left thigh takes a right battering on track by be trying to stay in the seat :)

Speed limited lift is another I wish I had not purchased, I should have just gone with one of the MTM Cantronic offerings.

@Arcam allegedly the standard car will go through the limiter in 6th and after that you can change to 7th.

TX.

I have done nearly 900 miles now and started to chuck it about a bit through the corners. The overall handling is really great but I have to say that I not too convinced on the outright grip of the standard fit Pirelli's - to me they feel a bit 'squirmy' under heavy braking and through long fast corners. The recent hot weather probably doesn't help either.
I notice that some owners are opting to replace the Pirelli's with Michelin Pilot SS - maybe something worth considering?

SSS are a waste of money, the standard seats are better IMHO as they have alcantara on they which provided more grip, my left thigh takes a right battering on track by be trying to stay in the seat :)

Speed limited lift is another I wish I had not purchased, I should have just gone with one of the MTM Cantronic offerings.

No alcantara here on SS seats.

The standard 8V RS3 seats don't have alcantara in UK. I had alcantara on previous S3 and loved them.

The standard 8V RS3 seats don't have alcantara in UK. I had alcantara on previous S3 and loved them.
My S3 had Alcantara as standard and yes they were good, I have seen 2 RS3 8v recently with stock seats that had 2 panels on the backrest in Alcantara.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Is that in UK Arcam. I think there was a second hand launch model advertised with Alcantara seats so I assume they are available in some markets.

Is that in UK Arcam. I think there was a second hand launch model advertised with Alcantara seats so I assume they are available in some markets.
Yeah in the UK at a recent meet up on 65 plate cars. It was very subtle and I questioned it myself until I felt the panels as they just looked like leather, must admit you have me questioning myself now

Sent using Tapatalk

It wasn't ever an option in the brochure as far as I know... but I did see a used one advertised at a London? dealer with alacantara unless they messed up photography!!

It wasn't ever an option in the brochure as far as I know... but I did see a used one advertised at a London? dealer with alacantara unless they messed up photography!!
Not an option but standard, perhaps someone with standard seats in a 8V could put use right?

Sent using Tapatalk

Full leather seats only in the RS3, whether standard seats or super sports seats - there is no alcantara on the seats at all.

Alcantara is door trim inserts and part of the steering wheel only.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I thought that Snake but there was definately a used one advertised on Audi.co.uk with Alcantara

Im not sure if its alcantara.....

The standard seats in the s3 have a couple of panels in the back rest that are not leather, they are a smooth feeling material....not sure if its alcantara though.....

There was 100% definately one advertised on Audi.co.uk used I believe in London . The words said Alcantara and the photos of standard seats certainly looked like Alcantara!! Mine however is Leather with alc on door panels and wheel.

Stuff I don't like.....the alcantara on the steering wheel. Hate it. A lot. So much so that I will be getting the leather redone on mine.

Electrically adjustable seats! How I miss them.

They are (sorry 'were' I mean) an option on the standard sports seats but were not available on the super sports seats.

Anyone know why the SS seats didn't have the electric option?

Stuff I don't like.....the alcantara on the steering wheel. Hate it. A lot.
I quite like it but I do worry that it's going to look and smell awful fairly quickly due to oils from my hands. So much so that I find myself trying to not touch those bits whilst turning.

Reactions: EdmundVR4
Im not sure if its alcantara.....

The standard seats in the s3 have a couple of panels in the back rest that are not leather, they are a smooth feeling material....not sure if its alcantara though.....

The 2 upper panels on the standard RS3 seats are Velvet same as my lunar silver S3 seats