Subwoofer install (pics)- Audi A4 B8 2011

NethanB

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
For anyone wanting to change the subwoofer in A4 B8, managed to get a 10inch to fit with some patience and finesse

The fabrication on the pillars is held with a few clips which prise off and some fibre glass teeth, take your time!

You only need to remove the right speaker grill to unscrew the stock sub before the parcel shelf can come out and it is very easy to crack so be careful, start in the bottom left corner gently working the plastic to get the clip to release (I used 2 blunt table knives as they were quite thin)
I broke mine and it's like someone in the family died to me lol
The parcel shelf also pops off in the same fashion as the sides do

Stock subwoofer held in with 3 torx screws, 1 underneath and 2 on the top

You can run the amp remote switch from the subwoofer speaker cable

Ground connection is back through the side down under boot arm

I cut sqaure vents in the parcel shelf to keep the amp ventilated and to access controls (not pictured)
Had to cut the teeth off the bottom of the grill so it would sit flush

Silver foil is actually dynamat for sound quality

I had to use a hammer around the inside of the sub to "help it" fit, I used the mdf ring and Allen bolts to make sure there were no gaps for maximum bass (recommend that when you install the subwoofer it is snug or you may get some rattling)

This install cost me my boot light but you can wire a 12v led strip from the cabling (not done yet)

I've got a 2013 A4 BE without a sub, can I just plug one in; is there a hole ready for it, and would it then show up on the MMI? I have the B&O system

Thanks (sorry to hijack thread)!

Or just buy a custom sub box , saloon only.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400448411995?redirect=mobile

A4B8Loon_zps3f069850.jpg

Last edited:
Your DVD player lives there for your satnav

They're perfect , got 1 in a different car , strange how there isn't one for the B8 Avant .

People must choose carefully the 10" sub as it's only a 15L internal volume , polyfill helps , but there are regular subs that out perform shallow mount for the smaller optimal internal volume .

Go in the boot and look up and see if there's a hole already there, can't confirm about the wiring, and I would check you mmi has an option under sound for a subwoofer.

I have the B&O but it needs more sub for me, my 911 was the same alpine do a little active sub that fits under the dash or seats and that is good at filling in.

Reactions: V6 Quatt
Depends how much room you have under your seat and what cabling requirements you have

An under seat/flat subwoofer can cost from £30-40 but if you dont have a stock sub then you need to get an amplifier, power, ground, remote and speaker cables, could be done for around £120 i guess

If you don't have a stock sub, you will also have to take a feed off your rear or front speakers (depending on speaker layout) to get sound and remote without disturbing the MMI, also you will need to run power from the battery to the amp (which you could mount in the boot)

NethanB,

It doesn't have the subwoofer option on the MMI as there isn't a sub, I was wondering if I could fit one into the existing equipment if there was a plug/connection for it, that it would then be recognised and then show as an option on the MMI.

I should think it's the same B&O setup as one with a sub [but without a sub] so would be an easy add-on?

If your adding a subwoofer, you could run a feed off of the existing speakers to get audio to the subwoofer, it wouldn't be recognized on the MMI this way but you can use VCDS to add the subwoofer option; not sure how well this will work though as the option controls the cabling from the MMI to the subwoofer (which wont exist in your case)

Your best bet is to install the subwoofer and amplifier and set the subwoofer sound levels directly on the amp, once you have it how you like it, you shouldnt need the option in the MMI

The proper way to do this with the MMI option would be to upgrade the wiring from the unit to add the subwoofer cabling which i bet isnt cheap