sudden loss of power at low rpm

Aidan1256

Reaction score
hi all, i have a 2010 a3 sportback 1.6 tdi and a new issue as come up, i was driving through town at low rpm and the car suddenly looses all power and starts jerking back and forward like im trying to bump start it, tried to accelerate and the car lost all revs and cut out. i restarted it and it struggled to maintain rpm like a stuck egr on a cold start for a bit before returning to normal like nothing happened. it happened before and i held the clutch in and revved it to try clear through whatever was wrong, it would slowly build the revs to 3k and the problem would go away and id be able to drive on as normal. this has only happened twice but its my first car and only have it a few months and worried its something worse than i think it is but it has never happened before.
the car is remapped and its had its belt changed and a full service about 3k miles ago.
plz help! thanks.

hi all, i have a 2010 a3 sportback 1.6 tdi and a new issue as come up, i was driving through town at low rpm and the car suddenly looses all power and starts jerking back and forward like im trying to bump start it, tried to accelerate and the car lost all revs and cut out. i restarted it and it struggled to maintain rpm like a stuck egr on a cold start for a bit before returning to normal like nothing happened. it happened before and i held the clutch in and revved it to try clear through whatever was wrong, it would slowly build the revs to 3k and the problem would go away and id be able to drive on as normal. this has only happened twice but its my first car and only have it a few months and worried its something worse than i think it is but it has never happened before.
the car is remapped and its had its belt changed and a full service about 3k miles ago.
plz help! thanks.
Who remaped the car sound like something i had with my dodgy mapled bmw 118d

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Who remaped the car sound like something i had with my dodgy mapled bmw 118d

it was a small local tuning shop "automotive solutions", i had a stuck egr valve too and they disconnected it and it works grand and i havent had any other issues with the engine until now. i was thinking on bringing it back to them after the lockdown but i dont know if its their fault with a bad tune or general engine wear and tear. i got it tuned at the start of march soon after i got the car.

it was a local tuning shop in wexford, "automotive solutions", i had a stuck egr valve too and they disconnected it and it works grand and i havent had any other issues with the engine until now. i was thinking on bringing it back to them after the lockdown but i dont know if its their fault with a bad tune or general engine wear and tear.
Was it dyno'd ? If a remap has been done without a proof printout from a dyno then id be worried i had that exact same issue with my bmw my dpf clogged up at the timw couldn't afford a £400 remap so i cut open my dpf gutted and re welded it mates garage new a guy who said he cant get rid of the cel light which was my only concern. But also he'll remap it for 120 lol. Long story short loved it car pulled hard no faults until it cut out on the motorway 3 times 1st time was minor 2nd one was bad whilst the car was rolling it turn off the engine and turned back on and still had to throttle my accelerator was unresponsive also knocked out my abs and stability control id keep pump the accelerator and eventually it would work. Or id have to pull up turn it off and wait before starting the car again. 3rd time this happen at 90mph lost control manage to avoid other cars and smashed into central barrier at about 70
041c17f2eef8153a9d20337edb78387e.jpg

Get the car scanned mate id nothing comes checj your basics service diesel fuel filter etc and if you can have your car reverted back to stock

Reactions: Aidan1256
Was it dyno'd ? If a remap has been done without a proof printout from a dyno then id be worried i had that exact same issue with my bmw my dpf clogged up at the timw couldn't afford a £400 remap so i cut open my dpf gutted and re welded it mates garage new a guy who said he cant get rid of the cel light which was my only concern. But also he'll remap it for 120 lol. Long story short loved it car pulled hard no faults until it cut out on the motorway 3 times 1st time was minor 2nd one was bad whilst the car was rolling it turn off the engine and turned back on and still had to throttle my accelerator was unresponsive also knocked out my abs and stability control id keep pump the accelerator and eventually it would work. Or id have to pull up turn it off and wait before starting the car again. 3rd time this happen at 90mph lost control manage to avoid other cars and smashed into central barrier at about 70
041c17f2eef8153a9d20337edb78387e.jpg

sounds like the very same problem im having at the moment. no it wasnt dyno'd they dont have one in their shop and i wasnt given any sheet of what had been done or proof but i could feel a bit of a diffrence and that was enough for me, being new to the car scene i didnt really know what to expect so i just took their word... think i mightve wasted €350 not going to a proper tuning shop but i will bring it up with them and see what i can do! thankfully it didnt cut out on the motorway and it was only a roundabout but still held up cars trying to get it going again. sorry about the bmw atleast no one was hurt!

Reactions: e9_mustii
sounds like the very same problem im having at the moment. no it wasnt dyno'd they dont have one in their shop and i wasnt given any sheet of what had been done or proof but i could feel a bit of a diffrence and that was enough for me, being new to the car scene i didnt really know what to expect so i just took their word... think i mightve wasted €350 not going to a proper tuning shop but i will bring it up with them and see what i can do! thankfully it didnt cut out on the motorway and it was only a roundabout but still held up cars trying to get it going again. sorry about the bmw atleast no one was hurt!
Yea you will what they do its the turn the boost all the way up to a piont your engine says ooo i like this but keeps pushing for more and then start to back down and say noope. My current s3 also had this done i bought it thinking it was stock but if felt abit hesitant. So i thought id take it to sa tuning just for a dyno atleast id know what i have for peace of mind. Turn out its got a dodgy map power curve is all.over the place.
821d7c4202d5c2ace92467d1f117aa81.jpg

Reactions: aqibi2000
Took it to r tech and he confirmed it had boost and fueling dumped into the engine so he reverted it and start mapping it from scratch and the printout kept a stable reading and a healthy 325 bhp on a stage 1

Took it to r tech and he confirmed it had boost and fueling dumped into the engine so he reverted it and start mapping it from scratch and the printout kept a stable reading and a healthy 325 bhp on a stage 1

impressive numbers for an s3! is there any way i can have the tune removed and put back to stock and get a refund or is it stuck with this bad tune until i pay more money to fix it and get a real tune?

impressive numbers for an s3! is there any way i can have the tune removed and put back to stock and get a refund or is it stuck with this bad tune until i pay more money to fix it and get a real tune?
Like i said get it scanned first if all is clear check you basic maintenance needs are ok fuel filter boost pipes incase you have a boost leak, diverter valve etc as they need to split.

If all is good on this account then it may be an idea to take it to a garage with a dyno preferably local.to you nothing to expensive about 50-75 quid and have a word with your current tuners ask them what they done and what the quoted figures where om the remap stock being 144 bhp for example to 190 and 300 nm torque to 400nm torque and just cross reference. If your dyno read out looks anything like my one from sa tuning the he probably just slapped a generic and ****** map on you car giving you slightly more power and risking the life of car or reliability. Getting your money back part is tricky if you've signed a waver form which most tuners will make you do but I'd still try if its not been done properly. Shouldnt be remapping if you aren't if you dont facilitate a dyno anyone can click a few buttons on laptop and upload a map to the ecu in 15-20 mins with the right software and hardware.

I took my car to rtech in nuneaton the guys knowledge on audis is unreal. 90 mile drovup there but worth it and the drive back was amazing i was scared to go fast he spent about 4 hours on my car doing pre checks make sure everything is healthy, reflashing my ecu back to its original and then mapping the car while its on the dyno in real.time makimg changed and tweaks on every pull. For audis id say he is the go 2 guy (niki), but amd tuning dms mrc etc all these reputable garages are all capable

This is the r tech print out car stock has 264 bhp
That bob the builder remap took its up to 287 but it would decline the hotter the engine got especially after spirited driving its like it was being choked

Thinner red and blue line resemble previous map thicker one are current difference is night and day cant wait until im back there for stage 2 +
6835302892f1947f6472ea6cb3effe7c.jpg

You can take it back to the tuner and tell him to revert it to stock this should be done free of charge but id only do this after getting it dynod, dont wanted you removing your mapfor no reason