Summer Wheels - but which ones ?

Somniac

Reaction score
Give it 4-5 weeks and it will be time to switch back to summer rubber. Since the tyres on the car when I bought it needed replacing and we were in the winter months I ended up putting winter tyres on the original rotors. So I now have a choice of either getting the winters replaced with summer ones (probably F1s) on the rotors or buying new wheels for the summer tyres and storing the rotor/winters until next Nov. For ease in the future I think new "Summer" wheels are the best option. Does anybody have any suggestions for good quality, stylish wheels for the RS3 - I'd prefer to stick to the OEM size/offset etc. The car is misano red so dark colours probably suit best (but not gloss black). If anybody has any pictures of options on an RS3 that would be even better. Thanks.

Stick to standard rims and you'll have NO insurance and/or Audi issue.

Change to alternative rims and your RS3, in the eyes of the insurance man, is a "modified car".

I run 8J front and rear standard rims with winter rubber; and 8.5J fronts./8.0J rear standard (listed option) rims with summer rubber.

Works for me, mine's a non-modified car.

If you can stretch to it buy a set of rotors (19" ) get some decent tyres and store the ones you have on for next winter.
Saves on the worry when taking them to be swapped (some tyre fitters can damage them swapping the tyres in particular the 225's as they struggle getting them off)

I run 8J front and rear standard rims with winter rubber; and 8.5J fronts./8.0J rear standard (listed option) rims with summer rubber.

Me too ... and I would recommend the 8.5J fronts with 255/30/19 tyres if you opt for new wheels. Even with the OEM Contis they provide more grip at the front IMHO than the standard 235's on 8J, with no difference to the ride comfort. With MPSSs or Goodyear F1's they will probably be even better !

Reactions: 45bvtc
Stick to standard rims and you'll have NO insurance and/or Audi issue.

Change to alternative rims and your RS3, in the eyes of the insurance man, is a "modified car".

Thanks John, I'd love to have another set of rotors but at £3.5k with tyres its £1.5K more than I can afford just now (I've only just bought the car). I understand that my insurers may class non-OEM wheels as a modification but as long as they are the same spec then hopefully the uplift in premium should be minimal when I declare them.

I'd have thought that changing the tyres on the back from OEM spec (225 -> 235) would be more of an issue since it could make a material difference to handling ?
Did your insurance company count it as a mod ?

I have 18" winters that match the size audi recommend (on the door card etc) neither of my last 2 insurance companies had a problem with them and nore did my dealership, they even worked on the brake issue with them on

when the temp is 4c or lower handling is better than oem summer conti's which just turn into solid blocks of oiled rubber, however over 7-8c the car will not stop from high speed

cost me about £700 with decent conti winter rubber

however as so far this winter i have only scrapped ice of my car twice (SE London) I have yet to fit them

they look nice as well (although this is not my car)

8551211240513401b.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelza
I'd have thought that changing the tyres on the back from OEM spec (225 -> 235) would be more of an issue since it could make a material difference to handling ? Did your insurance company count it as a mod ?

think.gif
Ah, not sure that I've told 'em that...

I have 18" winters that match the size audi recommend (on the door card etc) neither of my last 2 insurance companies had a problem with them and nore did my dealership, they even worked on the brake issue with them on

when the temp is 4c or lower handling is better than oem summer conti's which just turn into solid blocks of oiled rubber, however over 7-8c the car will not stop from high speed

however as so far this winter i have only scrapped ice of my car twice (SE London) I have yet to fit them

8551211240513401b.jpg

Thanks Dave. They look like the sort of rims I'm looking for. Would you mind giving me a clue as to the make/model please ?

8551211240513401b.jpg

I have these as well and recommend them, the winter rubber is also quite a bit cheaper which is nice