Sunroof and door issues

Tj 0785

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I’ve been noticing a fair bit of moisture on the inside of the car (been stood for a year) noticed drivers headliner beside the sunroof is quiet wet so I’m thinking sunroof seal, are these easy enough to change?

Also when trying to get in the car the door wouldn’t open lift the handle it would open’d the door about 10-15mm but wouldn’t open like the door was catching on the hinge feels like the cable is still attached but wouldn’t open and the door seems to lift and drop afair bit so I’m thinking the hinges might need changing I had to climb through the boot ha

Does the wing have to come off to get and the hinges and do the handle/ latch cable stretch?

Does the cable from the inside handle connect to the same part of the lock module? So if the inside latch work fine it woujudt be the external handle cable stretched and not a faulty locking module

When you open the door it opens barely an inch and just gets stuck in that position.?

Happens to me sometimes that and occasionally my door refuses to close, eventually will after a few attempts,

Yeah like it’s catching on the latch I sometimes i go to open it and it would open like it caught on the latch and I’d release the handle lift again and it would open. I tried for a good 10 mins to open it plulling on it and tried lifting the door up to see if it had dropped that much it was catching never had a problem with it closing

Yeah it's one of those many niggles you get with Old cars, I'm gonna fit a new lock on mine and see if it cures the problem, I'll report back

I’ve enquired about new lock n hinges also so see how much they come to

Tps
Sunrooof deal £75 + vat
Locking module £150+vat
Top hinge £28 +vat
Bottom hinge (bottom is reinforced) £80 +vat
Jesus couldn’t believe the price off the sunroof seal I’ve put in a parts request so I’m hopeful it to be cheaper
Yeah it's one of those many niggles you get with Old cars, I'm gonna fit a new lock on mine and see if it cures the problem, I'll report back

Anyone know if the 2 sunroof drains connect in the headliner ? Or is there 2 drain outlets are they front or back?

660BBBC0 88FD 4441 81CF CAE3EEE02662

This is where the main place the water/ condensation is always but it covers the all off the windows sometimes to the extent you can’t see in the car

I would fire it up, get heaters on full. Let it all dry out

What condition is existing seal in? Might just be heavy condensation causing bad damp condition

The seal looks ok no cracks or anything. Hopefully get my cluster back early next week as had-it cloned and mfa now sold on, so as soon as that’s back i can do that car has not been moved in over a year and bits of mould patches starting on the seat so will get everything clean and try n leave heaters on for a few hours and air it out abit

Windows had always got condensation on the windows in wet weather since I’ve owned it thought it was cause I always had heating on full

to be fair I left my sunroof open (tilt) for about a year (no water ever got in) - but, then the sunroof closes really slowly. try leaving it on tilt for a few days. you will need driving rain to get any in.

I get some condensation on mine and it's around the same place as urs. I have always believed that's it's cause ive had the heat on and the car us really warm when I get out and then the condensation starts.

I've never been a Grocklebinner so can't speak from experience but these have some reasonable reviews...

Pack of 2 x Kontrol Streamline Moisture Absorber Traps on Amazon

Maybe worth a punt at that price as a temporary fix/aid

When you last turned off the car mate did you leave the heater controls on (set to screen or floor,etc.) as my logic if it is just condensation is that the flaps will stay open so there will be an open channel from the outside air through the scuttle panel into the car and the colder the air,the higher the moisture content,so it will be more common this time of year.

If you can turn on the ignition,I would put the heater to 'recirc' then switch off the heater control,hopefully that would shut the flaps and reduce the air passage.Even set on 'recirc' it will allow some air in.

A sure-fire way to test for sunroof/door seal leaks would be to use a smoke machine,our Messiah,Ed China did it with an Aston Martin...

Perhaps you could get a local 'Dave Double-Decks' round to do a gig in your S3 or failing that,grab yourself a heavy smoker and lock him in the car with a few packets of Capstan Full Strength...after a couple of hours he should have produced enough fumes to show up any leaks :blink:

P.S. A cure for insomnia would be greatly received.

hth

I get some condensation on mine and it's around the same place as urs. I have always believed that's it's cause ive had the heat on and the car us really warm when I get out and then the condensation starts.

Yeah I. Can’t help to think it has to be something else also as none of my other cars do it

I've never been a Grocklebinner so can't speak from experience but these have some reasonable reviews...

Pack of 2 x Kontrol Streamline Moisture Absorber Traps on Amazon

Maybe worth a punt at that price as a temporary fix/aid

When you last turned off the car mate did you leave the heater controls on (set to screen or floor,etc.) as my logic if it is just condensation is that the flaps will stay open so there will be an open channel from the outside air through the scuttle panel into the car and the colder the air,the higher the moisture content,so it will be more common this time of year.

If you can turn on the ignition,I would put the heater to 'recirc' then switch off the heater control,hopefully that would shut the flaps and reduce the air passage.Even set on 'recirc' it will allow some air in.

A sure-fire way to test for sunroof/door seal leaks would be to use a smoke machine,our Messiah,Ed China did it with an Aston Martin...

Perhaps you could get a local 'Dave Double-Decks' round to do a gig in your S3 or failing that,grab yourself a heavy smoker and lock him in the car with a few packets of Capstan Full Strength...after a couple of hours he should have produced enough fumes to show up any leaks :blink:

P.S. A cure for insomnia would be greatly received.

hth

I will give that I try with the air vents worth a shot just ordered some strummer wire to put down the rains go see it they are clear seen it done on you tube

Opened car up today, had to climb through the boot to open drivers door because battery disconnected, was like a greenhouse in there now wonder it getting condensation and mouldy spots perfect breeding conditions, drivers door handle doesn’t do anything at all

Anyone know if the a3 or any other
Models Have the same locking module and hinges ?

Last edited: