Super Noisy Head

LostEnigma

Reaction score
Hey guys I did search noisy 20v head and no results came back so hoping someone can help.

Since my initial big turbo build, stilll 1.8, my head has made a funny noise.. new oil pump and pick up were used when rebuilding the motor.. New everything was used once again when I stroked the motor - EXCEPT THE HEAD!

Okay so the noise sounds like you had to put a card between bicycle wheel spokes when it starts up.. It has done this for around 2 years about. In that 2 years I have had the following happend twice: I will be cruising and all of a sudden come to a traffic light/robot and the motor will be stupidly noisy with like knocking sound... if you rev it slightly you will get that card in bicycle card in spoke noise and as soon as you rev it past say 2500rpm the noise 100% disappears... let the car drop back to ide and the knocking sound will start again and same story if you rev it..

Over this weekend, this happened everytime i drove it and now I am seriously stressing about it.. the dash oil pressure light (red oil can) has come on a few times over the years but my glow shift oil pressure gauge is reading at 40psi when that comes on and as soon as i accelerate, the dash warning clears up again.

So on summary:

1) Card in bicycle spokes noise on start up and then quiet
2) When car is warm, the motor starts like a knocking sound in the head
3) Rev it whether in neutral or in gear and that bicycle wheel and card sound comes up until around 2500rpm where the motor sounds perfect again.. Let the car come back to just under 1000rpm idle and in a few seconds the ticking/knocking sound starts again.

We have changed my cam chain tensioner to my old one from before the rebuild which was perfect and the noise is still there!

Please can someone tell me what to look for!

With that title i thought this thread was going in a completely different direction ha

Failed cam belt tensioner? Rev it enough and the belt tensions it self, let the revs drop back down and the belt slackens and you get the noise again? Take the belt cover off and check how tight the belt is.