Super Unleaded (97 RON)

Rockall

Reaction score
Anyone had issues running Super Unleaded (97 RON) in their stock S1? I'm noticing a slight misfire under heavy load, accelerating hard uphill in 5th or 6th. I fear the plugs and / or coil pack(s) are done for, possibly caused by the type of fuel used. I use the same Super Unleaded in the wife's Skoda Fabia 1.2 TSi and that has developed a misfire in every gear but no engine management light. I live on an island and there are unconfirmed reports that our one pump of 'Super Unleaded' is actually standard 95 RON unleaded with an Octane Booster added by the retailer. Also, with little demand for the fuel, there will be little turnover in the storage tank. Any thoughts?

Unfortunately I can only put 97 RON into our S1, but we have never had an issue. It sounds like your concerns over the pump may have something to do with it!

Dropped off the wife's Skoda at a good local garage today. When they took the spark plugs out, the tips had a red hue, matching the colour of Octane Booster. New plugs and a tank of regular 95 RON fuel later and the problem seems to be solved.
20170327 171130

They don't look good. Did the garage give their opinion on why they think the spark plugs looked like that?

Cumulative effects of Octane Booster, Spike. The mechanic told me that the effects of Octane Booster accumulate over time and, when adding Booster to a classic car, you should use a full tank of regular fuel every so often to avoid a build up of harmful effects. If the retailer is adding Octane Booster manually and in large quantities, it will be impossible to regulate these effects, hence the plugs are starting to turn the colour of the Booster. Also quite worrying is the fact that the 'Anti-Knock' variety of Octane Booster, for cars designed for leaded fuel, contains metallic elements which can play havoc with a modern car's Catalytic Converter.

These plugs are from the wife's Skoda. The S1 is exhibiting a very minor misfire under heavy load so plugs are probably going the same way there and I'll have to change them. Needless to say, I'm now back on regular 95 RON Unleaded for both cars!

Posh petrol makes ****** all difference in my S1! Its all well and good if your running a tuned up monster with 300+ bhp that's been set up to run on a high octane fuel. But for a standard car the normal will do

I don't agree, I had my two previous cars remapped and my friend, who owns the garage, told me that he can always tell cars that are running premium or super unleaded. He doesn't sell petrol so he has no interest in making false claims. He told me that use of the Super Unleaded adds a few bhp (amount varies per car) and improves the running of the engine.

If we spend this much money on an S1 10p extra per litre is an acceptable cost for me

Reactions: Ian Whiffen and ryan_lfc_89
I don't agree, I had my two previous cars remapped and my friend, who owns the garage, told me that he can always tell cars that are running premium or super unleaded. He doesn't sell petrol so he has no interest in making false claims. He told me that use of the Super Unleaded adds a few bhp (amount varies per car) and improves the running of the engine.

If we spend this much money on an S1 10p extra per litre is an acceptable cost for me
Mine has been on v power from new when I had mine mapped they stuck a little sticker in the filler cap saying 97+ Ron only

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: lfcrule1972