Suspension harshness

I have just picked up my new A3 1.8t sport, (2001) and find the ride on uneven potholed surfaces very harsh, is this normal?, 17" alloys nothing radical, and standard shocks etc, car is fine on long bends or motorways, A roads etc, but speed bumps (yes I slow down) or pot holes result in thumps and bangs, its a low speed thing.
My last car was an A6 Quattro, and it did not mind going over a pot hole or 2?

How many miles have u done? Shocks may be going, but i think it's the jump from such a large comfortable car to a smaller sportier car, that you can feel the difference.

Also smaller lighter cars tend not to ride aswell as heavier larger, longer wheelbase cars.

Personally i try to avoid potholes as even tho i drive an A6, it's got 18's on it so don't want to kill em! Speed bumps are another killer, too fast = grounding on back end! ouch!

hi, thanks for your thoughts, it turned out to be the anti-roll bar bushes that were well worn, car is fine now, and yes A3 is much harder than the A6, it was a 2.8 quattro with sports suspension etc, I miss the old girl, but needs must.