Suspension: help, my A3 looks like a Landrover

Do not buy that cheap **** and put it on your car. Its cheap for a reason. Simply put its ****.

You would be better off buying a shock and spring combo rather than some "coilovers".

DPM Performance is an ASN sponsor so the stuff will be legit... can't comment on how good it is though

<tuffty/>

Reactions: waggawagga
This has been discussed to death, the cheap coilovers (JOM and FK) are actually of reasonable quality and fine of you just want to go low...

Their main down fall is that they're generally pretty firm but build quality isn't bad at all (think the JOMs come with 2 year warranty) and they're height adjustable so can pick and choose your ride height.

Damien @DPM is indeed the daddy of suspension round here and he will also supply the same FK kit at a similar price:
https://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/ca...-suspension-kita3-8l-16-18-18t-19tdi-fwd-0896

Reactions: DPM and waggawagga
This has been discussed to death, the cheap coilovers (JOM and FK) are actually of reasonable quality and fine of you just want to go low...

Their main down fall is that they're generally pretty firm but build quality isn't bad at all (think the JOMs come with 2 year warranty) and they're height adjustable so can pick and choose your ride height.

Damien @DPM is indeed the daddy of suspension round here and he will also supply the same FK kit at a similar price:
https://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/ca...-suspension-kita3-8l-16-18-18t-19tdi-fwd-0896

Thanks very much. Very helpful. Sorry for going over old territory. Do you think something like these

https://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/ca...ks-suspension-kit-a3-8l-18-18t-19tdi-fwd-0996

would be a better choice than the coilovers? Not familiar with the make but that's about the max for my budget.

I have AP coilovers which are reasonably priced and have greatly improved the ride. The rear doesn't go super low if that's what you're after but it is certainly low enough for me.

One thing to consider when lowering your car is rear tie bars, which are vital if you still want decent life out of your tyres due to excess camber once your car is lowered

I have AP coilovers which are reasonably priced and have greatly improved the ride. The rear doesn't go super low if that's what you're after but it is certainly low enough for me.

One thing to consider when lowering your car is rear tie bars, which are vital if you still want decent life out of your tyres due to excess camber once your car is lowered

Hi there Jenno. Nope, not after super-low so that's cool. Excuse my ignorance about rear tie bars. I'm lowering an A3 (FWD) and can't see any rear tie bars for it. Just for 1.8T and S3. Is this something that would be needed for quattro only perhaps? Thanks for your help.

oh right maybe it's only for the quattro, sorry I don't know the answer to that.

If that's the case happy days

Hi there Jenno. Nope, not after super-low so that's cool. Excuse my ignorance about rear tie bars. I'm lowering an A3 (FWD) and can't see any rear tie bars for it. Just for 1.8T and S3. Is this something that would be needed for quattro only perhaps? Thanks for your help.

Only relevant to the quattro....

Don't forget to get a front alignment done as lowering changes toe

<tuffty/>

Reactions: waggawagga and Jenno007
Jumping in a tad late but I have Vogtland 35mm Suspension Kit fitted, ordered from DPM (ofc) and the kit seems decent quality and arrived quickly. Myself and the garage who fitted was dissappointed by the lack of drop on the rear though. Front seems ok but rear is pretty high still. Probably due to being stripped out though. Few pics in my thread.

Good luck in finding something.

^ thats the problem with a fixed height kit - you can't tweak it to suit your setup.

Coilovers get a bad rep as the vast majority of people buy crap like raceland/ jom / FK (granted marginally better, but not much) then complain about the rough ride. The only purpose these kind of kits serve is to slam the car, pretty much with no consideration to ride quality. Then you'll notice a massive jump in cost for brands like KW (now ST coils), bilstein and H&R - that jump also equates to how many fillings you have left in your head after a long journey!

AP's are a good middle of the range choice as they're made by the same people as KW.

Exactly ^ pretty much wish I'd stumped up the extra and got the AP's.