Suspension on Sline with 19' alloys

metricspaces

Reaction score
Hi folks, just wondering if anyone has any info on what the suspension setup is of these two cars:

1) A4 Sline, facelift (2010 onwards) with 18inch alloys
2) A4 Sline, facelift (2010 onwards) with 19inch alloys

I've heard that the Sline with 19inch alloys out of the factory does not have the same drop as one coming out of the factor with 18inch alloys.

But I'm wondering what exactly is different? Is it just the the springs are different, or are the dampers different too?

I've never heard of this... Thought there was just SE, Sport and S-Line suspension?

There is no set up required on the sline either 18's or 19's? Its same suspension, same set up for both

Had 18's on my 2.0 tdi S LIne 2010 last year changed for 19's and had them fitted at main dealers ,straight swop, no set up required.

I thought the S-Line has 20mm drop, regardless of wheel sizes and the Sports suspension is a 30mm drop.

Had 18's on my 2.0 tdi S LIne 2010 last year changed for 19's and had them fitted at main dealers ,straight swop, no set up required.

I'm sure you can do a straight swap of wheels. But this doesn't mean that the suspension set up from factory is the same for both an S-line with 18's versus one with 19's. Audi may have decided that 19's with S-line suspension (extra drop) was not leaving enough clearance for their liking, so could have altered the suspension setup. Sounds reasonable to me, I just want to know if it is true :)

I've never heard of this... Thought there was just SE, Sport and S-Line suspension?

I heard these three suspension setups mentioned. What's the difference between Sport and S-line - the springs, the dampers, or both?

But I also heard that an S-Line with 19inch alloys out of the factory comes with the Sport suspension. The reason being that the drop with the S-Line suspension is too low for 19inch alloys.

Can anyone confirm if an S-line with 19inch alloys gets different suspension that an S-line with 18 inch alloys?

I just copied this off another forum:

"S Line/BE comes as standard with SPORT suspension or as an option you can have the special only on S-Line lower again option which is an additional xxmm drop from the standard S Line which is in my opinion tooooo low.

The BE is essentially an S Line with a few must have bits so SPORT suspension is standard."

There should be no difference in ride height or clearance between any of the wheels for a given suspension setup. The rolling radius should always be the same from factory otherwise they'd also have to program each speedo to the wheel size fitted. This is only true for standard tyre sizes mind, if you choose different tyre sizes then you'd start to see issues I'd say.

I just copied this off another forum:

"S Line/BE comes as standard with SPORT suspension or as an option you can have the special only on S-Line lower again option which is an additional xxmm drop from the standard S Line which is in my opinion tooooo low.

The BE is essentially an S Line with a few must have bits so SPORT suspension is standard."

Indeed, it's according to spec level and optional spec, not wheel size.

My Black Addition has Sports Suspension fitted ..... I have no idea what that means :)

Interesting ... I asked the garage to email me the build spec for my car today and it does list under suspension - sports suspension .... my car was already built and in the UK when I started looking the only thing I wanted but couldn't find built atm was electric folding door mirrors with the spec I have.

S-Line is 20mm lower, with the Sports 30mm, that what I make out of the Audi litrature

Pretty sure it's the other way round... You have to ask for s-line suspension which drops the car a further 10mm from the standard sport suspension.

s-line 18" and 19" same
same part numbers on both

Interesting there is no mention of 19inch alloys there for the S-line?

Are the electric folding wing mirrors not standard on the S-line?

No they are an option ..... I am getting some fitted soon by NHN he just doesn't know it yet :)

Are all the extra's that are fitted to the car in factory listed in some documentation provided to the buyer?

Reason I'm asking...I'm looking at buying an A4 S-line. I'm in Ireland and will be buying in the UK. So I want to see what extra's were ordered when buying new.

If you can find out what they relate to then there is a sticker in the log book with all the added options codes. Otherwise a call to the dealer I'd say.

Once you locate the option code sticker (PR codes) in the inside of the service book or inside the boot enter them at the link below to see what options were fitted from the factory (...and identify what may have been added since).

AudiEnthusiasts Master

Back to original thread, entering the above codes for my 2008 S-Line Avant shows 19" wheels from the factory and sport suspension, so I can't disprove the the possible "no S-Line suspension with 19s" theory... anyone got 19s from the factory and the lower S-Line suspension listed too?

S Line sports suspension and 19" 5 Arm "Rotor" BE alloys fitted to my avant and listed on the sticker from the factory.

S Line sports suspension and 19" 5 Arm "Rotor" BE alloys fitted to my avant and listed on the sticker from the factory.

Ditto. But I had to spec the springs or I'd have gotten the sports suspension.

Mines got the "1BE - Sports Suspension" option, so that I assume that's the standard "S-Line" 20mm drop.

You must have the Sport suspension rather than the S-Line suspension option as mine is 1BV and I definitely ordered it with the S-Line springs/shocks.

Once you locate the option code sticker (PR codes) in the inside of the service book or inside the boot enter them at the link below to see what options were fitted from the factory (...and identify what may have been added since).

AudiEnthusiasts Master

Back to original thread, entering the above codes for my 2008 S-Line Avant shows 19" wheels from the factory and sport suspension, so I can't disprove the the possible "no S-Line suspension with 19s" theory... anyone got 19s from the factory and the lower S-Line suspension listed too?

Cheers man! That link is dead useful, just the kinda thing I was looking for. Will come in handy when looking at potential cars to buy.

So it sounds like what I heard is true. By default, you will get "sports suspension" if you choose 19inch alloys.

A car I was looking at has the following, and the owner believes it has the "Sports" suspension, not the "S line":

1BV DAE Sports suspension/shock absorption
C8K RAD Alloy wheels 8.5J x 19

What's the difference in terms of ride height between "S line" suspension and "Sports" suspension?
Does anyone know if the "S line" is just different springs or are the shocks different too?

Last edited:
Hmmmm... AudiEnthusiasts Master shows up the same description for 1BE and 1BV...sounds like it's not possible to determine from the codes which cars has "S line" and which have "Sports" suspension?

1BE DAE Sports suspension/shock absorption
1BV DAE Sports suspension/shock absorption

From November 2012 on-wards Audi aren't doing service books anymore which means I don't have a service book to check, haven't checked my boot thoroughly but I assume it's in there somewhere?

From November 2012 on-wards Audi aren't doing service books anymore which means I don't have a service book to check, haven't checked my boot thoroughly but I assume it's in there somewhere?

Audi are still issuing an Audi Servicing Schedule with all new cars. These do not have "blocks" any more for the dealer to stamp when a service has been carried out, just a folder in the back of the booklet to place the service computer print out. The service booklet has the build sticker inside the front cover and is part of the book pack handed to the new owner on collection.

The service booklet has the build sticker inside the front cover .

Would you be able to post up a pic of this? You mention above that your sticker has "S line" suspension listed with 19inch alloys. I'd just like to know what I am looking for, so would be good to see.

Last edited:
Cheers Soot1e. Got your sticker via email, here are your codes below:

You have the same code as my friend for the suspension, 1BV. He thinks he has the "Sports" suspension and not the "S line" suspension.

Confused now...as Daggerit mentioned above that he has the 1BV code and he's pretty sure he ordered the "S Line" suspension.

Sounds like possibly my friend has "S line" suspension?
Or maybe these codes do not allow you distinguish between "Sports" and "S line" suspension?

Could someone who definitely has "Sports" suspension check what code they have?

Taken from the A4 brochure in the options section:

IBE - Sports suspension with stiffer springs and stiffer shock absorbers. Standard on S Line, optional on SE and SE Technik.

IBV - S Line sports suspension lowered by 30mm with more firmly tuned springs and dampers for more direct contact with the road. No cost option for S Line and Black Edition.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Soot1e. Got your sticker via email, here are your codes below:

You have the same code as my friend for the suspension, 1BV. He thinks he has the "Sports" suspension and not the "S line" suspension.

Confused now...as Daggerit mentioned above that he has the 1BV code and he's pretty sure he ordered the "S Line" suspension.

Sounds like possibly my friend has "S line" suspension?
Or maybe these codes do not allow you distinguish between "Sports" and "S line" suspension?

Could someone who definitely has "Sports" suspension check what code they have?

Hahaha, nice of them to differentiate in the description huh?

I definitely have the S-Line setup unless they built it wrong off the build sheet. :)

Hahaha, nice of them to differentiate in the description huh?

I definitely have the S-Line setup unless they built it wrong off the build sheet. :)

So when you got the car from Audi, did you actually get anything in the accompanying documentation that said you have S-Line suspenion?

Not doubting you have S-Line suspension, just wondering if I'm looking at cars how I determine that they have it...can I rely on this 1BV code?

So when you got the car from Audi, did you actually get anything in the accompanying documentation that said you have S-Line suspenion?

Not doubting you have S-Line suspension, just wondering if I'm looking at cars how I determine that they have it...can I rely on this 1BV code?

Just the sticker with the code in the log book.

But I'd seen the build sheet and the s-line spec was on there. If you really want to check then I guess you could just call Audi and they'd be able to provide the info?

On the day I took delivery of my current A4 Avant S Line BE (complete with S Line sports suspension) I parked next to it in my previous A4 Avant S Line BE (with sports suspension) and there was little to see in overall height difference. No doubt the fact that it had been sat on suspension blocks and had not travelled far without them had something to do with this as the suspension had not been "worked". I commented on this to the salesman and we checked both service books and all was correct, correct suspension details on both. Now there is a difference whenever I park next to a standard S Line.

I would go with the build sticker for confirmation, parts are delivered to the production line for each individual build and are usually bar coded and read before and after fitment to ensure correct parts are fitted. The build sticker is produced on build completion from the data taken from the bar code readings during assembly therefore providing accurate information. When my current car arrived at the dealers I happened to be in the showroom and watched the salesman check his order codes against the build sheet to ensure what was ordered was fitted.

If it helps anyone here's mine:

1BE DAE Sports suspension/shock absorption
X23 GKV Suspension range 323