Suspension refresh questions

SimonRX8

Reaction score
Hi all, I hope everyone has had a good Christmas, and a good New Year to come

on my MoT last year my rear springs showed having some corrosion. They said they were fine for now but would likely need looking at again femoral the next one. The car is coming up to 15 years old so I’m suspecting that the springs and dampers could do with a refresh all round

it’s an s-line model (2.0 tfsi Quattro), so the question is whether to stick with s-line kit, or would upgrades be similarly priced? On an old mk4 GTI turbo i once had, I went the eibach springs and bilstein damper (b12 I think) route. I have seen these mentioned in a few posts - are they still a good route? I saw one post suggesting they didn’t ride quite as harshly as the original s-lines, but I remember mine old ones being quite crashy.

anything else that should be replaced at the same time? or would you just replace the corroded springs? I realise a spring and damper refresh will prob set back near on a grand with fitting (at a guess)

I think the brake lines also had some corrosion signs, so will look to swap those out with HEL or similar as there isn’t much difference price wise and they should last better.

any thoughts/opinions greatly welcomed

Simon

I dont have the 4wd so set up is slightly different but I wouldn’t bother going for lowering springs unless you get dampers at the same time, i have eibach super sport springs (think there called that) and the ride is very crashy, some cars feel really nice with just springs but these s lines feel terrible.

A good set of coilovers are only around £600 though? May be overkill for what your after but price wise might make more sense and you get a very good ride quality.

The B12 kit is a very good option and if you're happy with a set height probably one of the best to go for.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Reactions: Charlie Farley and BakPak
Another yes for the B12 kit and upgrade the rear antiroll bar to reduce understeer - you’ll have a magic ride on your hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not tried the full B12 kit as such but do have the B8 dampers with H&R 45mm drop spring allround, excellent package in a fixed height setup.
Makes the s-line setup almost useless in comparison.

What I will say is this and a lot of owners have found out the expensive way, don't touch the front pinch bolts unless you need to strip the front end down to replace more worn parts.
The replacement or rears is straight forward, the front is straight forward aswell as the work can be done without touching the dreaded pinch bolts.

just a heads of really chap, unless you are replacing a shed load of worn suspension components don't even consider removing those bolts, and if a garage says they have to , get the quote in writing as a quote is binding , an estimate can vary, and 9 times out of 10 the bolt snaps and causes a real headache of a job and the cost goes through the roof , when it need not have.

What I will say is this and a lot of owners have found out the expensive way, don't touch the front pinch bolts unless you ned to strip the front end down to replace more worn parts.
The replacement or rears is straight forward, the front is straight forward aswell as the work can be done without touching the dreaded pinch bolts.

just a heads of really chap, unless you are replacing a shed load of worn suspension components don't even consider removing those bolts, and if a garage says they have to , get the quote in writing as a quote is binding , an estimate can vary.
+1 on this i had to replace my front two at my expense because they “couldn't do it without touching the pinch bolt” even though i said do not touch it! Safe to say they got told to eff off and i didn't pay the labour but i was still down about £300 all in

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Yep me too, should have known better, not to worry though TPS got me out of the sh*t with a nice new shiny replacement knuckle at £315 with trade discount!!

That being said, i have to disagree with Ricky and say my eibach sportline reduced the crashiness over stock S line. But thats just my 2 cents

Yep me too, should have known better, not to worry though TPS got me out of the sh*t with a nice new shiny replacement knuckle at £315 with trade discount!!

That being said, i have to disagree with Ricky and say my eibach sportline reduced the crashiness over stock S line. But thats just my 2 cents
Maybe my dampers are shot then mate? Theres this specific bump i drive over every day and since lowering it its twice as bad more on the front tbh and the mrs car even that being lowered glides over nicely even after we got it lowered so i think ill look into the dampers if yours is smoother now.

Maybe my dampers are shot then mate? Theres this specific bump i drive over every day and since lowering it its twice as bad more on the front tbh and the mrs car even that being lowered glides over nicely even after we got it lowered so i think ill look into the dampers if yours is smoother now.

I wouldn't say mine is smooth, but smoother than my stock sline setup before springs. I could certainly tell a difference and could feel slightly less bodyroll too but nothing ground breaking. Still wobbles about like a big old barge in the twistys lol

Reactions: Ricky Burrows
I wouldn't say mine is smooth, but smoother than my stock sline setup before springs. I could certainly tell a difference and could feel slightly less bodyroll too but nothing ground breaking. Still wobbles about like a big old barge in the twistys lol
Lol ares must be more different than i thought as mine don't roll that much in the twisties but feels like my engine is going to fall out over anything other than completely smooth roads, maybe fitting the rear springs would stop yours having a wobble on lol.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Lol ares must be more different than i thought as mine don't roll that much in the twisties but feels like my engine is going to fall out over anything other than completely smooth roads, maybe fitting the rear springs would stop yours having a wobble on lol.

It might do, its on the todo list this year, a nice set of stiffer arbs might be going on too

Reactions: Ricky Burrows

I didn't realise you only changed the fronts Alex, that wont be helping you really as the oem and aftermarket will be different spring rates and add that to the poor s-line dampers .
just get a nice new set of B8 dampers and some rear springs and enjoy the massive difference.

Body roll is something my old bus most certainly does not suffer from , almost flat around all but the sharpest bend

That why the recaro's are such a bonus now, hold me snug as a bug..

I didn't realise you only changed the fronts Alex, that wont be helping you really as the oem and aftermarket will be different spring rates and add that to the poor s-line dampers .
just get a nice new set of B8 dampers and some rear springs and enjoy the massive difference.

Body roll is something my old bus most certainly does not suffer from , almost flat around all but the sharpest bend

That why the recaro's are such a bonus now, hold me snug as a bug..

Yeah, to be honest Rob my intentions with the lowering springs were purely aesthetic, closing up that huge front arch gap was a must, which the spring have achieved perfectly i my opinion.

I never fitted the rears as it seemed to sit low at the rear already, and having to load the old girl up every now and again didn't want to cause and bump stop contact issues. That being said, now the fronts have settled in nicely now, the rear seems to have raised slightly so i think its time for the rears too.

A nice set of bilstein shocks are on the to do list as well as some stiffer ARBs as said above, when i get round to it, unfortunately the car is taking a backseat while the race boats are getting some attention!

what's that, your B7 is taking a backseat, that's just wrong …..now go and wash your mouth out with soapy water..lol
Best not let the car hear you say that or it will start playing up big time.

Reactions: AvantAlexB7 and Ricky Burrows
Hi brothers this is my avant
I want to buy on ebay Eibach Pro Kit Federn 30/30mm please tell my how much be a down plase sent some picures with 30/30mm with 17,18 wheels

Attachments

• 20200118_112549.jpg
    20200118_112549.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 74