Suspension: System Fault - Magnetic Ride Fault

TobiasS1

Reaction score
First of all a big hello to everyone on this forum. On Friday I took delivery of my Audi S1. I purchased it off a friend who is a racing driver and as you can see from my signature he worked his magic on it. I previously had a Mercedes A45 AMG and before that an Audi S3, both of which had been tuned and modified.

My problem is this morning driving to work I have noticed a squeak from what I believe is coming from the magnetic ride system. Half was to work I then got the error message Suspension: System Fault. I spoke to the previous owner and he said it can be something as simple as one of the connectors on the dampers coming loose. Has anyone else had this issue? Any help would be much appreciated.

I assume you bought Jonnie Crockers' car.

In terms of mag ride malfunction, it definitely could just be one of the plugs. If you lift up the bonnet and look at the top of the struts, you should be able to see the connectors coming off the top of the dampers. I would first check and see if they are tight, maybe blow some air make sure there is no debris in there.

The rear damper connectors are hidden up inside the rear arch through a grommet in the inner arch, you should be able to follow the wire from the top of the rear dampers, through the grommet and you will find the connector there.

However, being as the car is just lowered on springs, it could be the case that the dampers have received some sort of damage due to bottoming out a lot more often as the car is now lowered more than it was on stock springs. I would check the connectors first before you start worrying about that though.

Scott

Reactions: DTYME83
You are right it is Jonnys' car.

Thank you very much for that detailed reply Scottien. I have had a quick look at the front damper connections and they all look ok. I will check the rears shortly. Strange thing is the error message is not constant. Sometimes it comes on and other times the car thinks its ok.