Suspension upper arms

VrX

Reaction score
Just failed MOT on offside front (front) upper suspension arm ball joint cover gone.

Quick couple of questions...

Anything griefy to watch out for changing this? Seen previous articles about avoiding a pinch bolt? Is that the top one? As obviously it will need to come out to swap this arm out.

Is it OK to change just the one arm (will most likely do both sides) but will I need to think about replacing the front (rear) arm as well?

And finally is it under pressure from the spring? (e.g. will I need to compress that or is it OK to just remove with foot off the floor?)

Cheers

The pinch bolts are an ****. If they're anything like on a b6. Head ache. I would say whilst you're in there. Do both tops.

Just ordered a complete set both sides, was trying to do it on a budget but thats when things normally end up costing more lol, from euros with their current discount £110 for complete upper both sides so not too bad I guess.

Well least it is not too bad a place to get some heat and a breaker bar on... the rear bolts look an absolute **** if they are going to play up, doubt I'll even get a ratchet on those.

What brand did you get? It's one of those jobs you want to do once only.

Just the cheapest (Starline???) TRW's were almost double the price. As long as they last a few years (and barely do 5k a year now) I'll be happy lol

Yeah that pinch bolt was horrendous! A lot of heat done the trick though, one side I couldn't even turn the bolt with a ratchet without heating up the leg first, was totally seized. Can relax now for a year and 3 weeks (did it early for a change).

Reactions: GAS MONKEY