Swap my S4 or just sell and buy another?

MFM

Reaction score
So I've had my S4 for a little over a week and I love the car to bits. I originally looked for one in white with the s-tronic box but since I didn't have time to wait around too long I found a mint one in black and with manual gearbox.

Although it looks amazing in black, it's just too much of a pain to keep clean as I have serious OCD issues and it actually makes me enjoy the car less(we all have our problems!). Plus the fact that I got so used to the auto box in my BMW, I can't seem to get on with the manual on a day to day basis.

So is there any scope in seeing if anyone would like to swap cars? A bit of a strange request I know, or is it better to just put it back up for sale and go through the whole process of waiting for the right car to come along?

Wow, that’s gotta be a record!

On a more serious note, there’s nothing worse than buyer’s remorse. I’d personally suck it up for a few weeks or so and see if you can get used to it. I’m sure after a few weeks you’d probably find yourself happy enough stirring the box again. That being said, if after a few weeks you still weren’t happy then I’d see about selling it and finding what you really want…. Life’s too short!. Only downside is that you may lose money selling so quickly, especially if selling privately as most buyers would be sceptical that you were selling up after only a few weeks.

Swapping MAY be an option, but I would have thought that the manual is less desirable than the Stronic (certainly based on sales and the fact they've removed the manual from the facelift cars) and thus you'd be waiting for someone who really wanted to go back to a manual car. I've got the stronic and although i miss the manual every so often, I dont think I'd change back.

Wow, that’s gotta be a record!

On a more serious note, there’s nothing worse than buyer’s remorse. I’d personally suck it up for a few weeks or so and see if you can get used to it. I’m sure after a few weeks you’d probably find yourself happy enough stirring the box again. That being said, if after a few weeks you still weren’t happy then I’d see about selling it and finding what you really want…. Life’s too short!. Only downside is that you may lose money selling so quickly, especially if selling privately as most buyers would be sceptical that you were selling up after only a few weeks.

Swapping MAY be an option, but I would have thought that the manual is less desirable than the Stronic (certainly based on sales and the fact they've removed the manual from the facelift cars) and thus you'd be waiting for someone who really wanted to go back to a manual car. I've got the stronic and although i miss the manual every so often, I dont think I'd change back.
I actually got the car for a very decent price plus it has a full Milltek system fitted which the seller didn't know about. So I'm sure I could actually make some money on it if I sold it again. As for skeptical buyers, the car has 44k on the clock with a full Audi main dealer service history and really is in stunning condition so I doubt it will be a problem. But I do get where you're coming from.

I could just do without the hassle. My biggest problem going the selling route is that I don't have a spare car in the meantime and would have to rely on a company car which I don't really want to do.

Could you not trade it against an S Tronic?

Could you not trade it against an S Tronic?
Never actually thought of that. Last thing I want to do is spend more money getting the same car though. And you know how inflated dealership prices are.

Sell the exhaust / swap with money your way for a standard one. That should give you a little extra cash to put toward another.

Reactions: TahirS and xpoweruk
Stick it out for a while and see how you feel. In all fairness dealers aren't that inflated however trade in prices are crap so I reckon you try find the one you want and then advertise yours, try do a deal with the seller that suits you. Shame you can't hack the manual I have a manual and boy it goes like stink. I think tbh though it doesn't bring out my most civilised driving. I think the manual is hard to drive slow but it's not my main car so who cares. Although it suits the baby seat I didn't buy it to carry the family in I bought to see off M3s and it does that! If it's your main car dealer would be a good route just for the warranty on the auto box, just saying.

Reactions: xpoweruk
Stick it out for a while and see how you feel. In all fairness dealers aren't that inflated however trade in prices are **** so I reckon you try find the one you want and then advertise yours, try do a deal with the seller that suits you. Shame you can't hack the manual I have a manual and boy it goes like stink. I think tbh though it doesn't bring out my most civilised driving. I think the manual is hard to drive slow but it's not my main car so who cares. Although it suits the baby seat I didn't buy it to carry the family in I bought to see off M3s and it does that! If it's your main car dealer would be a good route just for the warranty on the auto box, just saying.
You're right, it is a little bit of a challenge to drive it slowly, especially in stop start traffic. But I am getting used to it so it might be a good shout to stick it out for a while.

Agree with TahirS. If you went down the dealer route, they will aim to make 4K-4.5K on your trade in if they retail it.
If they don't it will be auction value less auction fees.I am sure an S4 with 44K would retail though !
I am also sure you wouldn't have any problem selling a manual S4 privately, as it's quite a rare beast, and there will always be die hard manual fanboys that will want one (especially in great condition with a Miltek).

Reactions: TahirS
there will always be die hard manual fanboys that will want one
Agreed. I ideally wanted a manual but ended up in an S-tronic, and I really do miss the control and involvement of a manual gearbox.

Sadly for you MFM I've gone way too far down the modding road to consider a swap now, but you won't have any problems selling/trading the Milltek so that should help ease the blow if you really do decide to sell up for an auto.

I think my fears about the car
Agreed. I ideally wanted a manual but ended up in an S-tronic, and I really do miss the control and involvement of a manual gearbox.

Sadly for you MFM I've gone way too far down the modding road to consider a swap now, but you won't have any problems selling/trading the Milltek so that should help ease the blow if you really do decide to sell up for an auto.
Cheers bud. Your car's been ragged around on track days though where my engine has barely been run in. :p

And in any case, I don't want to get rid of the Milltek!

:screamcat: The cheek of it! :grinning:

It may see the track but it gets interim services and regular inspections at Audi and MRC - a vision of health and performance don't you know :smilingimp:

Reactions: TahirS
:screamcat: The cheek of it! :grinning:

It may see the track but it gets interim services and regular inspections at Audi and MRC - a vision of health and performance don't you know :smilingimp:
I was only messing bud. I know you look after your car. ;)

I'm seriously thinking of selling the S4 and getting another BMW E39 5 series sport. I miss it dearly, and as an everyday car it was great.

I just can't justify putting so many miles on the Audi.

I just can't justify putting so many miles on the Audi.

Fully understand everyone has different wants/requirements/expectations from a car and depreciation can be a consideration........but an S4 is built for driving dude, don't feel guilty :grinning:

Fully understand everyone has different wants/requirements/expectations from a car and depreciation can be a consideration........but an S4 is built for driving dude, don't feel guilty :grinning:
I totally agree, but I do 20k+ miles a year!

Straight swap for my red 2.0TFSi Quattro Avant with S-Tronic & Revo Stage 1. :whistle2:

Straight swap for my red 2.0TFSi Quattro Avant with S-Tronic & Revo Stage 1. :whistle2:
Thank you for the brilliant offer, but I think I'll decline. :sly:

Reactions: xpoweruk and mancdan
There's a cheap auto avant on ebay in blue. Might be worth a look if you can get down there by tomorrow, it's a repossession but a 1 owner car so should have been looked after. I'd be looking at that but the only way forward for me now is to get rid of two cars a get one for everything. Might be the c6 rs6 as it represent such good performance to the £ while retaining comfort features.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=400930822010

There's a cheap auto avant on ebay in blue. Might be worth a look if you can get down there by tomorrow, it's a repossession but a 1 owner car so should have been looked after. I'd be looking at that but the only way forward for me now is to get rid of two cars a get one for everything. Might be the c6 rs6 as it represent such good performance to the £ while retaining comfort features.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=400930822010

No V5? Eeeek.

That's normal for a repossessed car, you would naturally verify all these details before handing over any money but this company are pretty decent except if you lend money of them and they then take away your , that's gotta be bad...

Reactions: scotty76
Car now up for sale in classified section.