Swapped my S3

ACWKGYTO

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Ive swapped my S3 for a BMW 340i touring shadow edition....Its a pre reg and had 28 miles on it, got about a 20% discount and is the most expensive car Ive bought so far. It has everything on it that I need, plus I bought a winter tyre and wheel set to go with it....got back into the golf, thats the game not the car so went for the 3 litre with a decent boot ! Very smooth indeed and it so different driving a rear wheel car, very different to the M135i I had a few years ago, different engine, and it was a manual gearbox. Must admit the S3 was a bit cramped, but I did enjoy the pace of it and all the haters, used to get a lot of attention... although the S tronic gearbox didnt feel like it was going to last that long. Car was a bit whiney especially in sport mode. But generally a nice car, just didnt suit my needs anymore. Really enjoyed the three S3's I had although they sometimes came with a bit of trouble, they are ****** quick cars for the money, in an ideal world I'd still have at least one of them.
1128360 BJ68VJL ae4ba2f26adfff454b2f49b37d25f43a 1

Reactions: RK10, Jcbmally, kpm278 and 11 others
Love it, fancy the 335d xdrive myself.

Reactions: ACWKGYTO
Very nice looking car mate practical and very sporty

Reactions: NevMan, oli356 and ACWKGYTO
Alex, that is a very nice car. Enjoy it. :) x

Reactions: NevMan
Why thankyou Jassy, Im a refined gentleman now you know !
Lol most folksl know prefer the shape of touring over the saloon you also got another thing right with it.. . You didn't get in Estoril Blue.... man that colour Is so so popular

Reactions: NevMan and ACWKGYTO
Lol most folksl know prefer the shape of touring over the saloon you also got another thing right with it.. . You didn't get in Estoril Blue.... man that colour Is so so popular

They are hard to find cars whatever the colour, with all the options, such as sunroof. I like the concierge option, something that Audi should do, maybe they do and I never knew about it. Its gonna look a bit gangsta with the matt black winter wheels Ive got for it, although they are 18's not 20's !

Reactions: Jassyo06
PS I better get off this forum before I get an i

Thanks Sandra... keep up the good work :)
Thank you Alex. I shall probably still be here on your return, don’t be a stranger. :)

Reactions: Jassyo06 and ACWKGYTO
I'm not normally into estate cars but that actually looks pretty good. :)
Very stealthy in black. :sunglasses:

1128360 BJ68VJL 3d270a0348654ad8f383c85b69b9267b 12
1128360 BJ68VJL 053305c2dfc9f9034542f0064de1fadd 2
1128360 BJ68VJL 4d406c9f8e7d5dddddf2d50319a8b403 10
1128360 BJ68VJL c7ca02e501da6b1a4caddf16ab468c4c 11
1128360 BJ68VJL 7c2c6761f966375bd3e86cd6766f8bd7 4

Cars often look even better IMO without number plates.....also notice the handbrake....not had one of those for a while !

Reactions: mfl, Jcbmally, Chris43 and 2 others
Looks very smart. Always liked the 3 series touring though I do love Estoril blue :p

Enjoy!

Lovely car but I never understand why BMW persist with a manual hand brake.

Reactions: Pook
I never understand why BMW persist with a manual hand brake.
The majority of drivers prefer a traditional hand brake rather than the awful electronic ones that are being forced upon us.
So I say well done BMW. :thumbs up:

Reactions: Jassyo06 and rvtb101
I think for the new 3 series they will be going to an electronic

I think for the new 3 series they will be going to an electronic
In that case I say bad BMW for following the rest of the sheep. :(
The real reason that electronic hand brakes have become so common is to make things idiot proof following the reported problems with slipping hand brakes caused by certain drivers not being able to use them correctly.
Give me a traditional hand brake any day!! :)

Reactions: Jassyo06 and NevMan
The majority of drivers prefer a traditional hand brake rather than the awful electronic ones that are being forced upon us.
So I say well done BMW. :thumbs up:

Majority of drivers, Are you sure?

Each to their own I guess but what's your objection to the electronic hand brake. Coupled with the hill hold assist my view is that it's a great system.

Reactions: Pook and NevMan
In that case I say bad BMW for following the rest of the sheep. :(
The real reason that electronic hand brakes have become so common is to make things idiot proof following the reported problems with slipping hand brakes caused by certain drivers not being able to use them correctly.
Give me a traditional hand brake any day!! :)

Old school, but must admit I am a fan of electronic ones.

Reactions: Pook
Old school, but must admit I am a fan of electronic ones.

Just to make that clearer, I am saying @Ron240 is old school. I like the electronic ones. Wife’s JCW has manual, but then car is manual too, so nice to have storing and manual in house

Reactions: Ron240
Yes I am definitely "old school" in many ways.....I understood what you meant @q5man :)

To explain a couple of things I don't like about electronic handbrakes.......
They have 2 settings - off or maximum pressure on. With a conventional hand brake the driver can control the pressure he wants to apply.
The auto release with an electronic is far from ideal and can be a bit jerky particularly when wanting to make a quick getaway on the flat or pretty much all times on a hill. No such problems in this respect with a conventional hand brake.

I think this subject has a lot to do with what age you are and what you grew up with.
If you were used to conventional hand brakes then in most(but admittedly not all) cases you will always prefer them.
There has been many advancements and changes in motoring technology with the vast majority being for the better, but I know I am not alone in thinking the electronic hand brake is not one of them.

Reactions: Jcbmally, Jassyo06 and NevMan
I agree it can be a bit jerky sometimes, which I find gets worse when the boot is full.
I took my test in the 1980's so I learnt how to hill start the 'proper' way with a manual hand brake but I think I still prefer the auto version now

I agree it can be a bit jerky sometimes, which I find gets worse when the boot is full.
I took my test in the 1980's so I learnt how to hill start the 'proper' way with a manual hand brake but I think I still prefer the auto version now

Same for me, also in the good old 80’s.
Just the ink cars look so much neater with electronic, but agree manual much more adjustable and quicker to release.

Yes I am definitely "old school" in many ways.....I understood what you meant @q5man :)

To explain a couple of things I don't like about electronic handbrakes.......
They have 2 settings - off or maximum pressure on. With a conventional hand brake the driver can control the pressure he wants to apply.
The auto release with an electronic is far from ideal and can be a bit jerky particularly when wanting to make a quick getaway on the flat or pretty much all times on a hill. No such problems in this respect with a conventional hand brake.

I think this subject has a lot to do with what age you are and what you grew up with.
If you were used to conventional hand brakes then in most(but admittedly not all) cases you will always prefer them.
There has been many advancements and changes in motoring technology with the vast majority being for the better, but I know I am not alone in thinking the electronic hand brake is not one of them.
If the electronic handbrake is coupled with Hill-Hold assist (which most are going that way), you never need use the handbrake other than when you are getting out, and this situation you would want maximum hold. The hill-hold release is silky smooth and consistent, and coupled with little niceties like when you turn off the ignition the handbrake turns on, I really cant see any benefits of a manual handbrake anymore. Just personal preference but for me I’m glad the manual is being confined to history

Reactions: Tej13 and oli356
I never use the hold assist because it illuminates the brake lights for the duration of the stop, and I am aware of this being potentially quite annoying for a driver immediately behind.

This hand brake conversation deserved a thread of its own so as not to hijack the OP's news about his new BMW....sorry about that. :flushed:

Last edited: