Switch 6 CD Changer for iPod/Aux Connection?

BibbsOnTour

Reaction score
Have been looking for aux kits and other options to get an aux input in my A3 as constantly changing the songs on my SD cards is a pain...

I did buy an Pure Bluetooth Kit from GTA Car Kits which would have been great except for the fact all the plugs on the back of my RNS-E are wired completely differently to your average one and rather than them being 6 or so individual plugs which would have been compatible with their kit it was all hardwired into one big plug that covered all the sockets on the unit... I showed one of the guys in customer services at GTA and he said none of them had ever seen anything like it so I had to send the kit back!

Unfortunately that dilemma rules out a load of my options for this which is a right ache.

After looking through the spec book of the car out of pure boredom I noticed that one of the options instead of the CD changer is an 'iPod Console' which is 'for playing/charging iPod in the car...' so I would assume, correct me if I'm wrong, that this has an aux input?

Back to the main question of this thread anyway! Is it possible to buy one of these consoles and do a retrofit style switch of the two units?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Have been looking for aux kits and other options to get an aux input in my A3 as constantly changing the songs on my SD cards is a pain...

I did buy an Pure Bluetooth Kit from GTA Car Kits which would have been great except for the fact all the plugs on the back of my RNS-E are wired completely differently to your average one and rather than them being 6 or so individual plugs which would have been compatible with their kit it was all hardwired into one big plug that covered all the sockets on the unit... I showed one of the guys in customer services at GTA and he said none of them had ever seen anything like it so I had to send the kit back!

Unfortunately that dilemma rules out a load of my options for this which is a right ache.

After looking through the spec book of the car out of pure boredom I noticed that one of the options instead of the CD changer is an 'iPod Console' which is 'for playing/charging iPod in the car...' so I would assume, correct me if I'm wrong, that this has an aux input?

Back to the main question of this thread anyway! Is it possible to buy one of these consoles and do a retrofit style switch of the two units?

I've seen those but only with the old style Apple connector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen those but only with the old style Apple connector

Ahh damn, no use for me then...

Was hoping for an aux connection as I have an Android.

Thanks for the info though :yes:

No worries am hoping to find something myself my A3 has the earlier Navi unit in it so if I put the Navi disk in I can only listen to radio as I don't have the 6 disk changer

It's such a minor thing to leave off but causes such annoyance!

It's such a minor thing to leave off but causes such annoyance!

Yep, can't decide on whether to get the 6 disk changer, upgrade to the newer RNS-E or ditch it and go aftermarket. The aftermarket option is nudging ahead as it would give me Bluetooth hands free, dab, navi etc etc and can still be made to work with my steering wheel controls

Would you be interested in a Pioneer double din App radio 2 that has Android and Apple connectivity swap for your RNS-E ? The Pioneer has a parrot kit built in and you use Google maps for navigation ? I also have the trim panel needed to fit to an A3

Would you be interested in a Pioneer double din App radio 2 that has Android and Apple connectivity swap for your RNS-E ? The Pioneer has a parrot kit built in and you use Google maps for navigation ? I also have the trim panel needed to fit to an A3

At the moment I'll stick with what I've got as I don't want to go changing anything like that just yet, was looking for a more simple fix in the meantime before going ahead and changing the whole unit, thanks for the offer though!

Also not sure if it'd be compatible with the weird plug I have at the back as this one fits the RNS-E perfectly so if the Pioneer one you have is even slightly different it won't work!

I'll keep looking to see if any type of aux solution pops up and if one does I'll post it on this thread if it helps you!

there is a conversion loom that goes to from the factory wiring inc the "wierd" plug to the Pioneer. I have since found a German company that makes a kind of breakout box that connects to the cd multichanger socket on the rns-e which gives you aux and theres a bluetooth add on to that which gives you bluetooth audio streaming and i think phone connectivity was just under £150 shipped for both parts but would only work if you have a standard cd multichanger socket on your unit

there is a conversion loom that goes to from the factory wiring inc the "wierd" plug to the Pioneer. I have since found a German company that makes a kind of breakout box that connects to the cd multichanger socket on the rns-e which gives you aux and theres a bluetooth add on to that which gives you bluetooth audio streaming and i think phone connectivity was just under £150 shipped for both parts but would only work if you have a standard cd multichanger socket on your unit
Sounds very similar to the GTA Kit I had, pricing and all...

Like I said, I'll keep an eye out for alternatives in the mean time and pop it on here if I find one :)

Cheers

Reactions: TF_Si
Check Xcarlink

Sent from my LG-H950 using Tapatalk

Reactions: BibbsOnTour
Will do!

Thanks for the info :)

Check out 'Grom Audio'

As said above it would plug into the cd changer port on your rnse and it gives you Bluetooth telephone and music streaming capabilities whilst also being able to be controlled from your multi function steering wheel if you have one. About £120 all in if I remember right

Check out 'Grom Audio'

As said above it would plug into the cd changer port on your rnse and it gives you Bluetooth telephone and music streaming capabilities whilst also being able to be controlled from your multi function steering wheel if you have one. About £120 all in if I remember right
Great, thanks for this :)

I've had a look and unfortunately these are all wired the same way the GTA Car Kit bluetooth kit was!

As of now the only alternative I can find is this, which sadly doesn't mean I can use the multifunction wheel with it but certainly is a cheaper alternative in the meantime!

Also I've found some pictures I took a while back when I returned the old bluetooth kit of the "weird" plug alternative I have going into my RNS-E, hopefully this should give you guys a better idea of what I'm working with and might even be able to shed some light on what it is!!

GI5YPbp.jpg

GvQtDzl.jpg

Hey mate,

Any idea on that plug I have as per above post?

Cheers

I've got it on my PC at home so will upload it later today :)

Cheers

Can you take me a pic of the back of the unit ?

Picture of the back of the unit as promised...
8Icb7FH.jpg

Not sure what caused it to flip on it's side all of a sudden but at least the numbers are there as point of reference as to which way round it should be!

Also now I realise that you may have meant the whole back of the unit... Will take another if necessary!

Cheers

Picture of the back of the unit as promised...
8Icb7FH.jpg

Not sure what caused it to flip on it's side all of a sudden but at least the numbers are there as point of reference as to which way round it should be!

Also now I realise that you may have meant the whole back of the unit... Will take another if necessary!

Cheers

This weird plug you are referring to and the connection on the back of your rnse unit are perfectly normal it's called a quadlock connector it's what these cars use for rnse/symphony/chorus units.
The solutions people have suggested to you like the grom audio that I suggested don't require that connector to be removed, that connector stays in. There should be another spare space on the back of the unit for a cd multichanger to plug into unless you already have one plugged in and that is where the grom audio or other device would plug into.

Reactions: BibbsOnTour and TF_Si
This weird plug you are referring to and the connection on the back of your rnse unit are perfectly normal it's called a quadlock connector it's what these cars use for rnse/symphony/chorus units.
The solutions people have suggested to you like the grom audio that I suggested don't require that connector to be removed, that connector stays in. There should be another spare space on the back of the unit for a cd multichanger to plug into unless you already have one plugged in and that is where the grom audio or other device would plug into.
Ahh...

Is the CD multichanger plug the same as the plug used on this aux kit?

Do you have any other sockets on the back ? Should be another where you plug in a CD changer as said above, I have a new Bluetooth adapter that plugs into this that I'm now not going to use if that's any good ? £40 delivered

Do you have any other sockets on the back ? Should be another where you plug in a CD changer as said above, I have a new Bluetooth adapter that plugs into this that I'm now not going to use if that's any good ? £40 delivered

I'll post a pic shortly, the cd changer plug is a double row of pins

2b86496de1c7860752f805238f9abc3e.jpg

2b86496de1c7860752f805238f9abc3e.jpg

That's the the one! You plug that into the quadlock connector on the cars loom in the picture further up the post then plug it back into the rnse and should be job done

Reactions: BibbsOnTour and TF_Si
That's the the one! You plug that into the quadlock connector on the cars loom in the picture further up the post then plug it back into the rnse and should be job done
Yeah this is the same plug as the kit I had before but the big plug I have takes up all the slots on the unit... I can't unplug individual ones or so it seems...

Unless you guys know a way round it?

All the plugs that are usually individual are all wired into one big one that takes all the slots, as pictured here:
Oy4byOb.jpg

Yeah this is the same plug as the kit I had before but the big plug I have takes up all the slots on the unit... I can't unplug individual ones or so it seems...

Unless you guys know a way round it?

All the plugs that are usually individual are all wired into one big one that takes all the slots, as pictured here:
Oy4byOb.jpg

Yeah I see what you mean now, looks like it's been rewired or something. It'll cost you a quite a bit more but you might be better off just buying a new radio/headunit, one with Bluetooth etc built in.

The wiring on mine is covered in black loom tape right up to the connectors

Could you cut that black plug with a Stanley knife ? Cut off the bit that's not used to free up the space to plug the aux in ?

Yeah I see what you mean now, looks like it's been rewired or something. It'll cost you a quite a bit more but you might be better off just buying a new radio/headunit, one with Bluetooth etc built in.
Yeah, might be worth considering in the long run...

Would need to get one with the majority of the RNSE's features too as well as bluetooth etc so as you say... Would be a bit pricey :blue:

Could you cut that black plug with a Stanley knife ? Cut off the bit that's not used to free up the space to plug the aux in ?

Might be worth giving this a go... Would be a decent (and much cheaper!) fix if it works and if not it'll prompt me buying a new head unit!!:haha:

Might be worth giving this a go... Would be a decent (and much cheaper!) fix if it works and if not it'll prompt me buying a new head unit!!:haha:

It's what I'd be doing so long as you cut it off cleanly you can always go back if you need. The Bluetooth module I bought for £40 works very well, just need to upgrade my Basic sat nav to an Rns-E

It's what I'd be doing so long as you cut it off cleanly you can always go back if you need. The Bluetooth module I bought for £40 works very well, just need to upgrade my Basic sat nav to an Rns-E

Have you got a link to your one?

Just for reference and to broaden my search if I end up doing the same! :)

I have the iPod (30pin) connector in my glove box, it sucks. Haha! Been looking to replace it but as it's a 30pin and the new iPhones are lightening cables I bought a adapter (30pin to Lightening) and it doesn't work. Can't get it to connect or anything so I don't know if it works or has ever worked. And no, it doesn't have Aux.

Here's my cheap alternative for now....

Bought the aux kit I linked a while back and wired it like this:

AhBvB5q.jpg

Run the wire back from the RNSE and up and round to the left and had it come back on itself just outside the housing of the RNSE and down into the little pop out tray as you can see in this picture:
osH5zkP.jpg

And then it sits there nicely just like this:
ZMPCTdm.jpg

Unfortunately it does mean I have to have the tray open when it's plugged into my phone, could make a little cut out in the side of the tray but for what it's worth I'll just make do how it is!

Just need to get an aux option coded into my RNSE now as I forgot to get it done beforehand!

Anyone know anybody who can do it relatively local to Chelmsford, Essex?