Switching from a S4 B9 petrol to a new S4 B9.5 diesel (or RSQ3 or A6) ...thoughts please

monkey66

Reaction score
Ok so I have never been so indecisive. I had settled on an S3 but have changed my mind.

I do 15-17k per year, mainly motorway with a bit of London and weekly country roads to enjoy. The S4 has been brilliant over 4.5 years and 72k miles. I have to order another Audi as I have left this too late and need to extend the current lease. Either way it looks like 6-12 months before I see a new car

My considerations at the moment:
S4 vorsprung - all the toys, cheapest to run, cheapest to buy.
RSQ3 vorsprung - Silly car, great engine, most expensive to run
A6 50TDI, Blackpack, C and S, Tour - Most elegant to cruise, least fun in the corners. All touch heater controls is a big negative for me.

Has anyone made the switch, will I still enjoy the S4 in the corners like my current one? I have read about the lag but understand this has been improved somewhat. The petrol is similar in so far as you need to nudge it into sport at most junctions.

Reactions: SiPie
Can only help on the S4 comparison side of things…
I test drove the S4 diesel saloon (whilst still owning the B9 S4 petrol avant) and struggled greatly, could see the appeal if I did a big mileage and could use that torque for motorway overtaking etc. Tried it (admittedly) briefly in the twisties and didn’t feel inclined to do so again. Never felt like the car was designed for that…. It’s a ‘motorway pulveriser’. For your mileage it’s probably a good compromise to make, looks good, nice toys etc
I think you’d grow to like it and bond with it over time but you’d miss that early Sunday Morning drive ‘just for the hell of it’.
This is the predictable bit where you know I’ll recommend you buy a 2nd hand B9 RS4 and accept your fate ;)

Reactions: NevMan
Can only help on the S4 comparison side of things…
I test drove the S4 diesel saloon (whilst still owning the B9 S4 petrol avant) and struggled greatly, could see the appeal if I did a big mileage and could use that torque for motorway overtaking etc. Tried it (admittedly) briefly in the twisties and didn’t feel inclined to do so again. Never felt like the car was designed for that…. It’s a ‘motorway pulveriser’. For your mileage it’s probably a good compromise to make, looks good, nice toys etc
I think you’d grow to like it and bond with it over time but you’d miss that early Sunday Morning drive ‘just for the hell of it’.
This is the predictable bit where you know I’ll recommend you buy a 2nd hand B9 RS4 and accept your fate ;)
I hear you but with my millage it is a very, very expensive option. I would only want to run an RS4 with warranty so that means getting a new one, that means big money.

Reactions: NevMan
I hear what you are saying
I looked for one that was a year old and it just so happened that the original buyer had bought the 4 year warranty option.
Appreciate they are still pricey but you mention a RSQ3 Vorsprung so there really isn’t much in it

Yup. The RSQ3 is right at the top of my budget and a RS4 tops that again so it is a no go.

Also that is a Vorsprung spec RSQ3 against a low spec RS4.

Interesting selection - any reason for not including an S5 Sportback which would give the same performance as the S4 and more practicality of the RSQ3.

I swapped a TTRS sport for my current S5 and have no regrets. would I have another TTRS yes but only as a weekend car. When pushed there was very few cars that could keep up with it but I quickly came to the conclusion only place to really enjoy the cars full capabilities was on a track.

The S5 (which I’d assume is pretty much identical to the S4) is much more a GT type of car. if you do a lot of motorway driving you won’t be disappointed. It won’t have the out and out performance of the RSQ3 and the mild hybrid system adds to the overall weight of the car which you can feel when you push it hard through the bends.

that said it ain’t slow by any means and it’s pretty frugal even when driven reasonably hard - coming back a couple of weeks ago I averaged 70mph over 265miles and got 43mpg which I think is pretty good from a car with 350 bhp.

The Vorsprung will come with all the toys (except the storage pack) and given the milage your doing, you’ll definitely get the benefit if these.

Reactions: Sibmets
The main reason I'd the significant price premium for the S5 over the S4, otherwise it would be high on my list.

Why do they charge such a significant premium, at vorsprung level the kit is the same but the S5 is £4-6k more than the S5 advant.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

The main reason I'd the significant price premium for the S5 over the S4, otherwise it would be high on my list.

Why do they charge such a significant premium, at vorsprung level the kit is the same but the S5 is £4-6k more than the S5 advant.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
Fair point - suspect the main reason is to differentiate them / target slightly different markets- can’t believe 5be cost of making them is much different albeit the a5 range will produced in smaller no‘s the A4.

S4 Avant is a smashing car though - have had a couple of them before and wou not say no to another one.

alternate option miight be to look for a pre registered or near new one - manchester Audi have got a fully loaded one currently in stock -3. O thx old with 3500 miles on the clock for £60k

Reactions: monkey66
So I have ordered a RSQ3, Vorsprung, Daytona. Daytona was the only grown up colour and lets me pretend that it is not a silly car.

Delivery sometime in the future, who knows but probably May 2022.

In the meantime I continue with the delightful S4.

Reactions: spartacus68, elpeterol, SPIKE_ and 1 other person