Symphony ii to a Symphony ii+

thejordy2005

A4 Sport
Reaction score
Hi, Can anybody help me please.

I am sorry if this has been covered but I've looked at loads of forums seen loads of pictures but cannot get a definative anwser, fitting guide or part numbers but alot of these forums suggest its possible.

I am trying to find out if it is possible to upgrade my HU from a Symphony ii to the newer Symphony ii+ (out of an A4 2007) ? My original HU is non Bose and with no other connections. Also is it a straight forward swap other than the adptors and will it be Plug n Play?

If it is possible which Harness adaptor and antenna adaptor do people recommended, I have asked Kufatec.de about their kits but they have said they do not sell them but a kit they sell Product No:34521 seems viable, is this not the case.

Any feedback would be most appreciated before I end up reselling my symphony ii+ HU.

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited:
hi there i would think you can as i just chaned mine from an old chorus tape player from a 2002 to a corncet cd player from a 2006 with no bother at all.
if its a single din going to the same i had no probs and the guy i got mine from had just put a sat nav one in his and thats a duble din so.
i would think you can but im no expert. hope it helps a bit

Last edited:
Simon2004

Many thanks for your info, both my new and old headunits are double din, but the old unit is ISO and the new one is quadlock and I need to connect the two different connections, also I need to do this for the arerial. I am sure people have done this but I am just trying to find out the part numbers and companies for these.

did you call audi try them in parts they are good there

oh well they will not help at all then lol its a long shot but did you try halfords for it they have most wier blocks there for most change overs

Simon2004

Many thanks for your info, both my new and old headunits are double din, but the old unit is ISO and the new one is quadlock and I need to connect the two different connections, also I need to do this for the arerial. I am sure people have done this but I am just trying to find out the part numbers and companies for these.

If the new Symphony II+ is Quadlock, as per the the RNS-E, you will need one of these I believe Ebay Item Link Here for the power and speakers. For the aerial connector if it's like RNS-E then one of these Ebay link here, although these are pretty pricey!

Ebay search "Audi RNS-E".......
Or this kit and sell the GPS antenna separately? Ebay Link Here
Or this kit Ebay Link Here

Last edited:
ok iv seen them in halfords not sure if the price is any good though

If the new Symphony II+ is Quadlock, as per the the RNS-E, you will need one of these I believe Ebay Item Link Here for the power and speakers. For the aerial connector if it's like RNS-E then one of these Ebay link here, although these are pretty pricey!

Ebay search "Audi RNS-E".......
Or this kit and sell the GPS antenna separately? Ebay Link Here
Or this kit Ebay Link Here

many thanks, I have been looking at these from Kufatec though. Can you tell me if you have done this retrofit?

many thanks, I have been looking at these from Kufatec though. Can you tell me if you have done this retrofit?

Went from my factory fitted Single DIN Concert II CD/Radio to Double DIN Symphony II to RNS-E over several months. The RNS-E required the cable adapter and aerial adaptors which was supplied by the shop I got the 2nd hand RNS-E unit from.
I have BOSE and I found the adaptor was a non-BOSE - but fixed this by adding the missing wires for the BOSE boot amp.
Done all the retrofits listed in my sig.

Went from my factory fitted Single DIN Concert II CD/Radio to Double DIN Symphony II to RNS-E over several months. The RNS-E required the cable adapter and aerial adaptors which was supplied by the shop I got the 2nd hand RNS-E unit from.
I have BOSE and I found the adaptor was a non-BOSE - but fixed this by adding the missing wires for the BOSE boot amp.
Done all the retrofits listed in my sig.

Hi Woorlord

Many thanks for your reply, can you tell me the company who did the retrofit fit for you? Also I am quite new to the site and I presume you are telling me to go to "Done all the retrofits listed in my sig", what does that mean? I don't suppuse you can provide a link if I need to go there to have a look. Sorry if I am being abit thick.

Hi Woorlord

Many thanks for your reply, can you tell me the company who did the retrofit fit for you? Also I am quite new to the site and I presume you are telling me to go to "Done all the retrofits listed in my sig", what does that mean? I don't suppuse you can provide a link if I need to go there to have a look. Sorry if I am being abit thick.

Perhaps I should have been clearer - I have done all the retrofits in my signature text - quite a bit around the audio system / phone / video etc.

Perhaps I should have been clearer - I have done all the retrofits in my signature text - quite a bit around the audio system / phone / video etc.

Can you tell me who did your retrofit?

Also do you have any thoughts on . . . . . . . if the RNS sat nav uses the diversity system or the twin HF like on the newer cars, the reason I ask is I have read that people who have changed to the symphony ii+ have reception problems and I was wondering if the double Fakra adaptor with diversity input addressed this issue, as I believe on the old adaptors people did not reconnect the diversity lead.

I (that is Me - aka Woorlord - nobody else) have done the following Retrofits ......... GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, Xenon 'Slimline Ballast' HID's & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping Rear View Mirror, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, Audi NAVPlus RNS-E with Video i-pod + Aux inputs, Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth, Rear PDC
:banghead:

Also do you have any thoughts on . . . . . . . if the RNS sat nav uses the diversity system or the twin HF like on the newer cars, the reason I ask is I have read that people who have changed to the symphony ii+ have reception problems and I was wondering if the double Fakra adaptor with diversity input addressed this issue, as I believe on the old adaptors people did not reconnect the diversity lead.
Woorlord done his own retro fit .

I (that is Me - aka Woorlord - nobody else) have done the following Retrofits ......... GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, Xenon 'Slimline Ballast' HID's & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping Rear View Mirror, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, Audi NAVPlus RNS-E with Video i-pod + Aux inputs, Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth, Rear PDC
:banghead:

Sorry, I understand what you mean about your signature text now. Can you tell me where you got your harness and adaptors from for the retrofit or did you do these yourself as I know that some guy in the US has done them?

Also do you have any thoughts on the aerial adaptor issue and quality of reception?

thanks

I've got the Sym II+ It's a great unit but you will lose AM and diversity I'm afraid (it's a twin HF aerial). The FM reception is slightly worse on weaker stations but the MP3 playback and better sound more than make up for it. Looks much better too, I mean I had my Sym II for 3 years and it never played one cassette!!! :faint:

Go for it, you won't regret it :thumbsup:

Sorry, I understand what you mean about your signature text now. Can you tell me where you got your harness and adaptors from for the retrofit or did you do these yourself as I know that some guy in the US has done them?

Also do you have any thoughts on the aerial adaptor issue and quality of reception?

thanks

I have given you a load of Ebay links in thread #7 - click on the "Ebay Link Here" text. Also they sell all the adaptors at www.Kufatec.de, which is also listed in this thread.
Where I got mine? - they were part of a package with an RNS-E SatNav unit I bought - can't recall the shop name off hand but somehwere up in Leicester - was a couple years back now.

As far as the SymphonyII+ - have never played with one in or out the car so can't comment. Try the B7 forum - I guess they are standard on these at some point?

I've got the Sym II+ It's a great unit but you will lose AM and diversity I'm afraid (it's a twin HF aerial). The FM reception is slightly worse on weaker stations but the MP3 playback and better sound more than make up for it. Looks much better too, I mean I had my Sym II for 3 years and it never played one cassette!!! :faint:

Go for it, you won't regret it :thumbsup:

Many thanks for your comments, can you tell me where you got your Harness from? Also is your fakra adaptor the one with the diversity plug?

thanks

I have given you a load of Ebay links in thread #7 - click on the "Ebay Link Here" text. Also they sell all the adaptors at www.Kufatec.de, which is also listed in this thread.
Where I got mine? - they were part of a package with an RNS-E SatNav unit I bought - can't recall the shop name off hand but somehwere up in Leicester - was a couple years back now.

As far as the SymphonyII+ - have never played with one in or out the car so can't comment. Try the B7 forum - I guess they are standard on these at some point?

Sorry I didn't realise there were links on there (just getting used to posting and reading on the great forum site). Many thanks for your help, I will just buy one and try it out and if its no good I can always put it on ebay.

many thanks for your thoughts

Sorry I didn't realise there were links on there (just getting used to posting and reading on the great forum site). Many thanks for your help, I will just buy one and try it out and if its no good I can always put it on ebay.

many thanks for your thoughts

Try here, there are lots of references to what you want to do http://audiforum.us/cables-adapters-antennas/