Tail pipes.

J0N

Reaction score
I've been noticing the tail pipes that some of you have on your Avants and was wondering what the way forward is? Are they, trims? Welded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a lot of us have opted for stainless steel weld-on or clamp on tips, and in a few differing styles but on the same theme, you need to cut off your exisiting section and then replace with your choosen tip...a lot to choose from and some better than others.
I have 90mm slash cut stainless tips and they have been on for a while now, holding up well with no sign of nastiness etc....
Tip6
Tp2
Tp4

Reactions: 344bigal and J0N
a lot of us have opted for stainless steel weld-on or clamp on tips, and in a few differing styles but on the same theme, you need to cut off your exisiting section and then replace with your choosen tip...a lot to choose from and some better than others.
I have 90mm slash cut stainless tips and they have been on for a while now, holding up well with no sign of nastiness etc....
View attachment 122208 View attachment 122209 View attachment 122210

That's just the sort of thing I'm looking for, they fill the diffuser really well. Are they clamped or welded??

weld on , but you can clamp them on if you wish with decent clamps.

Reactions: carlcall and J0N
the 80mm special ed black tips were a bit tired so the replacements were a good upgrade.
Tp5
Ex4

Reactions: J0N and jamie_a4
Those Stainless tips look excellent. Just what I need to replace my black tips which look identical to yours above.
How much for the stainless tips and where from?

Haha...do tell, Rob??

Reactions: quattrogrip
.......and with a 58mm inlet diameter, are these a good fit? (After a bit of butchery).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A direct fit over my existing pipework and a little persuasion with a rubber mallet!

Reactions: 344bigal and J0N
got mine from Halfords £20 each.....
IMG 0406

Reactions: DieselJake and J0N
Were these a direct fit??

Were these a direct fit??

i just cut the down turned ones off with a grinder (mines a 170 tdi) and fit these over the existing straight piece of exhaust what was left and went straight on

Reactions: J0N
Some difference its made in the photos of the cars!

Something I definitely need to do, mine are well beyond saving. May start looking through Fleebay now for some nice ones. What size properly fills the gap?

From people's posts it seems that 90mm outlet fills the diffuser nicely on the 20tdi 170. The outside diameter of the standard pipes is 55mm.

Reactions: 344bigal
mine are 90mm and do fit the diffuser cutouts perfectly.

Reactions: J0N and 344bigal
That's decided it for me then, if 89mm fits the diffuser that's what we want.
I did wonder if 101mm would've been a bit big, even though it's only 1/2" or so bigger.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My worry is that I don't want exhausts that look like they don't belong, if that makes sense??

90 mm is the way to go then.....a nice compromise ,big enough to look good but not too big that they look like rocket launchers....

Subtle yet stylish..

Jon, what ones do you like....I think that's the most important thing....whatever works for you chap.

Reactions: 344bigal
Ordered.....should be here in the morning too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chrome or stainless, straight cut or slant , rolled lip or flat.....

nice, yep you'll be well chuffed with them...

Best looking tips IMHO Jon.....not that I'm biased as I have the same on mine

you only buy the best carl....nice tips and 1st class quality, I have slightly different ones but from the same seller, still as good today as when I first put them on.

Same here Rob.....they are really good quality as all I have to do is hit them with the pressure washer and they are clean with no pitting. I've known others start to look a little crap