Tailgate gas struts

KrisKrk

A6 C6 4F 2010 LeMans Avant
Reaction score
Has anyone managed to upgrade their C6 tailgate gas struts to lift open the boot?
It can be unlocked from the key/remote but can the tailgate be lifted by simple struts replacement/upgrade?
It does require some strong gas struts. Where to source anything like it?

Right, had recommended by Alex (@DJAlix from VAG Car Coding, site sponsor and awesome car coding magician) to search for these:

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-brand/ecs-tuning/ecs-tuning-hatch-pop-kit-mk6-golf/

Send them an email with pictures of joints and mountings and all data I could read from the pistons and they replied that "it is not possible from a Golf any mk as the fixing points are different and tailgate is way heavier on A6 as to Golf".

Anyone might have another solution?

Any stronger aftermarket pistons?

I am not certain, but I think if you look carefully at the positions of the two ends of the struts when the tailgate is closed (or at least as nearly closed as possible while still being able to see into the gap) you will find that the strut actually goes very nearly "over dead centre" that is the end on the opening part is as close to the body as the end attached to the body.
If this is the case, then it will be physically impossible for the strut to open the tailgate no matter how powerful, since its efforts will not be pushing in the right direction.

marsmail

I am not certain, but I think if you look carefully at the positions of the two ends of the struts when the tailgate is closed (or at least as nearly closed as possible while still being able to see into the gap) you will find that the strut actually goes very nearly "over dead centre" that is the end on the opening part is as close to the body as the end attached to the body.
If this is the case, then it will be physically impossible for the strut to open the tailgate no matter how powerful, since its efforts will not be pushing in the right direction.

marsmail
Got confused.com with this:blink:
Meaning the piston itself is too close to the body and therefore, it is impossible to replace them with stronger ones, right?

marsmail

I'm pretty sure that you are correct and the only way to do what Kris is after will be to retrofit the power tailgate motors.

It's not just the strength of the gas struts, they need to be pushing in the right direction to pop the tailgate open.

From what I've heard, pistons are the same with electric tailgate. It's the motor what gives all the power.
@B5NUT have retrofitted it to he's A6 and doubt the pistons were any different to standard ones.

If they are different, meaning stronger somehow, I would not achieve same result with them pistons only and no motors compare to the Golf boot pop kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistons are different, not sure if they are stronger, but they are a different part number. I fitted the pistons before the motors, and they did not lift the tailgate. The only way you are going to achieve this on the A6 is to retrofit the electric motors.

Reactions: KrisKrk
KrisKrk said "Meaning the piston itself is too close to the body and therefore, it is impossible to replace them with stronger ones, right?"
Sorry I probably did not explain very well. I meant that the two ends of the strut would be so nearly in line with one another and the bodywork of the car, that any force the strut could apply would be in more or less a straight line along its own length, rather than pushing the tailgate away from the closed position.
I would have to agree that to do what you are asking will need you to plant that money tree to fit the motors.

marsmail

Reactions: KrisKrk
Thanx guys for the confirmation.

Met a guy who sold me "magic seeds" and said it is the money tree seeds but it turned out they were beans. Not even magic ones to grow into the sky and to Giant's house with a gold egg laying goose. They just ordinary beans. This b@start lied to me!

With no funds for the electric tailgate, this position had to be removed from my "to do" list.

@marsmail, now I get you.