B9 Tailpipe titivation.....

Reaction score
As I mentioned in another thread i'm picking up my RS4 next week. One thing I did notice was that the tailpipes were filthy and don't look like they've ever been cleaned. On my S3 I used Autosol. But they were polished metal. I believe the RS4 sports exhaust tips should be gloss black? I'm just wondering if anyone has had the same issue and the best way to restore the gloss black finish.

Don't worry......Found a thread about his......Looks like I'll be painting them!!!

Hi Nick, please can you post a link to the thread that you have found on this.
My 2018 B9 RS4 has the sports exhaust. The black paint on the inside was flaking off and Audi replaced the tips under warranty. They are welded but can be replaced.
The outside is black chrome and I haven’t had any problems with this.
I wash them with soapy water when I wash the car and every few months give them a proper clean.
I use Auto Smart “Tardis” to remove tar and rubber deposits that stick to them, then polish with Autoglym followed by a coat of Poorboys wheel protection to help stop the crap sticking to them. I also apply Poorboys to my red brake callipers and believe they stay cleaner for longer.
However it would be nice to know what others have found to work.

By the way, I was spraying ACF50 into my exhausts to prevent the valves from sticking which has happened before. This may have caused the flaking mat paint inside my exhausts, so I don’t clean inside anymore or spray anything. I do grease the shafts top and bottom from time to time.

Cheers Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Nick, please can you post a link to the thread that you have found on this.
My 2018 B9 RS4 has the sports exhaust. The black paint on the inside was flaking off and Audi replaced the tips under warranty. They are welded but can be replaced.
The outside is black chrome and I haven’t had any problems with this.
I wash them with soapy water when I wash the car and every few months give them a proper clean.
I use Auto Smart “Tardis” to remove tar and rubber deposits that stick to them, then polish with Autoglym followed by a coat of Poorboys wheel protection to help stop the **** sticking to them. I also apply Poorboys to my red brake callipers and believe they stay cleaner for longer.
However it would be nice to know what others have found to work.

By the way, I was spraying ACF50 into my exhausts to prevent the valves from sticking which has happened before. This may have caused the flaking mat paint inside my exhausts, so I don’t clean inside anymore or spray anything. I do grease the shafts top and bottom from time to time.

Cheers Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Paul. The thread I found was a few owners basically in the same boat as us. The outer part of the black finish pitting and flaking. Some have had theirs replaced like you under warranty. Others have struggled to get this done from their Audi dealers and one or two have painted them. As mine is literally a month out of warranty (picked it up Thursday last week) this isn't an option for me. So I've decided to paint them. I'll put a post up in here with pics and info once I've completed them.

So as you can see from the pic my 'gloss black' tailpipes were not so glossy......In fact they were rather pitted and corroded. So after some elbow grease, a wire brush drill attachment and some gloss black heat proof (up to 500c) paint I'm rather please with the results. They were never going to be as new but they look much better in my opinion.

Attachments

• 20210424_153633.jpg
    20210424_153633.jpg
    543.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 20210501_142622.jpg
    20210501_142622.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 121
Reactions: IDontLikeSpeedCameras and SiPie
There is a technical product update for this problem. TPI number 2052722/9.

Production changes were made from 4th quarter/2019 onwards, so if your car is older than this - have a another chat with your dealer.

Reactions: IDontLikeSpeedCameras