Talk me into (or out of) an S3 Sportback

The Cardinal

For the love of cars
Reaction score
I've currently got an A3 2.0TQ, which has performed admirably in its role of a small family wagon that is zero hassle, classy and able to raise a smile.

We live in a city centre and despite having a baby and aspirations to at least one more, it makes sense to stay with a medium-size hatchback. We do around 7k miles per year, mainly on holidays and my wife doing short trips around town, so fuel economy etc aren't major considerations.

I've recently been hankering after a performance car as a second car, but the compromise could surely be an S3 Sportback - only one set of running costs, a family wagon, discreet? I can afford it, but I'm slightly put off by the prospect of buying a new car as it approaches replacement. It also seems that used S3 Sportbacks are rare / expensive...

Talk me into it - or out of it!! :blush:

Just remap your current car and save your money!

Actually your current car is Garnet red so I take it back. Get an S3 in Sprint Blue!

Second the remap option, if your just going for a stock S3 then there is not that much difference between it and what you have.

yeah but he's not gonna get the car for free is he? or even for a straight swap...

Technically sticking the turbo from the s3 on the 2.0T and getting a remap would also see over 300bhp (as would the suggestion to get a stage 2 on it)
Have you had a go in an S3 yet? If you want an S3 for more power you can get it from what you have now, if you want it because it's an S3 then your current car will always feel lacking no matter what you do to it.

yeah but he's not gonna get the car for free is he? or even for a straight swap...

who said he needs it free or a straight swap?? hes clearly mentioned he was looking at purchasing a 2nd car but an alternative is changing his current car for a better one?

I think if you have the funding, like the car and want a change then why not. If you were ordering new then I think there are some delays but certain S3 combinations are priority builds at certain times - Your dealer will advise on this. The S3 has recently undergone some small changes in equipment and hence is now more expensive as a base car, such things as Sat Nav, Bluetooth and AMI are now standard.

You should get good money for your current car and you are already familiar with the SB so no issues there.

I think if you have the funding, like the car and want a change then why not. If you were ordering new then I think there are some delays but certain S3 combinations are priority builds at certain times - Your dealer will advise on this. The S3 has recently undergone some small changes in equipment and hence is now more expensive as a base car, such things as Sat Nav, Bluetooth and AMI are now standard.

You should get good money for your current car and you are already familiar with the SB so no issues there.

totally agree..:thumbsup:

What I would say be careful of is the spec of the car when you buy it. Some dealers will likely have some MY10 cars in stock or on Demo, make sure you are happy with the changes between MY10 and MY11

I think the S3 has a little while yet before replacement, maybe mid to late next year.

buy the s3 i would if i had the money
they are much better cars than the 2.0t A3 and i have a A3 2.0t q lol
do it you only live once

I have the S3 Sportback and have similar circumstances to you.

Fits the bill perfectly, is practical and still puts a big grin on my kipper when I go out for a blast without the little ones in the back.

They seem expensive but there are deals to be had if you shop around and are a haggler. I managed approximately 11% off mine although that was last year.

Do it :)

I have yet to get my S3 but when looking I was choosing between the S3, 2.0t q, and 2.0tdi q 170. I ruled out the Diesel (I know the 170 is quick) but I decided I wanted something quicker and petrol was the way forward. After speccing up the S3 and 2.0t I found that lease prices were very similar (especially as I had to add extra to the 2.0t that was standard on S3). I beleive there was about £2000 difference in purchase price which is quite a lot when buying but not much on a lease.

Nick

if you don't mind the expense, by all means get an S3. but i just feel like considering you've got the bare bones of an S3 already you might as well tailor your current car to exactly what you want it to be, and that way you'll save some money in the process. a big turbo project can be a lot of fun if you have the time and you'll get a right monster out of it at the end

Interesting.

I'm quite interested in the "project" approach - i.e. something like adding S3 bumpers and skirts, plus engine mods. I've had some cars like that in the past, but I don't have a large amount of time on my hands these days!

If there was someone in the Bristol area that I could simply hand the car over to and simply get the finished article at the end, I'd be fine!

Technically sticking the turbo from the s3 on the 2.0T and getting a remap would also see over 300bhp (as would the suggestion to get a stage 2 on it)
Have you had a go in an S3 yet? If you want an S3 for more power you can get it from what you have now, if you want it because it's an S3 then your current car will always feel lacking no matter what you do to it.

You can't just stick the K04 on a K03 engine and nothing else, you need a set of S3 injectors as well, a custom turbo outlet pipe, DV relocation , new intake and downpipe,HPFP and of course new mapping so he would have change his software to someone who does a k04 map.

A k04 conversion is not as simple as a straight turbo swap.

Yea I realise its not a straight swap, it was more aimed at the comment that remaping an S3 gives over 300bhp, which is obviously still do able with a 2.0T. sub39h definetly made my point better with suggesting a big turbo project.

I wouldn't change because I can see the new A3 coming out at the end of next year so you'll have the old model in no time at all.

Yea I realise its not a straight swap, it was more aimed at the comment that remaping an S3 gives over 300bhp, which is obviously still do able with a 2.0T. sub39h definetly made my point better with suggesting a big turbo project.

I was /am thinking the same about going BT...but P/Xing for an low mileage S3 and going stage 2+ which is very simple,and not too expensive or time consuming, is beginning to sound more appealing. BT would be v fun , but if you want a BT kit ( not K04) you can only go for a GT28 series with the standard internals, and that only puts out 340-360 bhp max at the fly, which is only the same as a stage 2+ S3 , but for a lot more hassle. The s3 also has a lot of little things missing from the 2.0T such as better bushes, short throw box, FBMFSW etc as well as better internals and FMIC etc so its a lot of work when an S3 already comes with everything.

Last edited:
I was /am thinking the same about going BT...but P/Xing for an low mileage S3 and going stage 2+ which is very simple,and not too expensive or time consuming, is beginning to sound more appealing. BT would be v fun , but if you want a BT kit ( not K04) you can only go for a GT28 series with the standard internals, and that only puts out 340-360 bhp max at the fly, which is only the same as a stage 2+ S3 , but for a lot more hassle. The s3 also has a lot of little missing from the 2.0T such as better bushes, short throw box, FBMSW etc as well as better internals and FMCI etc so its a lot of work when an S3 already comes with everything.

finally someone typed what i couldnt be bothered to! nice one akash..:icon_thumright:

I wouldn't change because I can see the new A3 coming out at the end of next year so you'll have the old model in no time at all.

but i also agree with this... ive been toying with the idea of ordering a new s3 but the next gen does make me worry a bit..

finally someone typed what i couldnt be bothered to! nice one akash..:icon_thumright:
Haha..would be a fun project but no point really... after being taken for a long, MENTAL drive in Muneeb's car on the motorway and country roads, it showed me stage 2+ S3 is pretty much all I need, and its less hassle!

Haha..would be a fun project but no point really... after being taken for a long, MENTAL drive in Muneeb's car on the motorway and country roads, it showed me stage 2+ S3 is pretty much all I need, and its less hassle!

should be me by sept... should have my Apr pump next week, then just got to sort my TBE out... :drool:

ive been really driving my car lately and its strange cause ive fully got used to it.. it almost feels a bit boring now.. so time for some engine upgrades.. not gonna bother with stage 2 just gonna go straight to stage 2+ then try n make my clutch last :blink:

Damn, your now starting to put me off a BT project! Seen a lot saying you should be able to get more like 440 from the engine but am guessing they are all referring to the S3. It's still about 17k for a decent 3dr s3 (dunno bout 5dr) and the 2.0t is only worth about 10k so it's a big difference

yeah but a2.0t turbo will always be wort 20-30% less than a S3 if not more!
be daft not to buy the s3

yeah but how much will it decrease in value once the model changes?

cheapest S3 SBs on the 'Trader are £25k, and that's with a couple of years' worth of mileage on. imagine what you can do to a 2.0T for your hypothetical £15k. i mean i've just had all the work priced up for a 2009 facelift to my 2006 car and it's coming in at just under £4k so you could do your big turbo conversion, your S3 facelift bodykit conversion, get buckets, get a big brake pack and respray the whole thing for that with money left to spare.

tbh i think you should wait for a new model to come out. if you're unhappy with this one and have some money burning a hole in your pocket give it a CAI, exhaust and intercooler upgrade and a stage 2 remap to take it to 300bhp-ish

still dont changed the fact if you chuck 10k at a 2.0t you might aswell be giving it away.
at least you will recoupe more money due to the fact its a S3!
just dont make sense at all doing a turbo upgraded on a 2.0t a3 the insurance will prob be more than on a tuned S3!

cheapest S3 SBs on the 'Trader are £25k, and that's with a couple of years' worth of mileage on. imagine what you can do to a 2.0T for your hypothetical £15k. i mean i've just had all the work priced up for a 2009 facelift to my 2006 car and it's coming in at just under £4k so you could do your big turbo conversion, your S3 facelift bodykit conversion, get buckets, get a big brake pack and respray the whole thing for that with money left to spare.

tbh i think you should wait for a new model to come out. if you're unhappy with this one and have some money burning a hole in your pocket give it a CAI, exhaust and intercooler upgrade and a stage 2 remap to take it to 300bhp-ish
Hi sorry but you wont get 300 BHP from those mods, even with an uprated FMIC, that will help with heatsoak and keep boost upunder prolonged load but wont add that much power. Even with those mods + uprated FMIC & HPFP you would get 280 ish max. the KO3 is not big enough to make 300 bhp.
Contrary to what a lot people on here thought you need a HPFP for best torque and power gains on a ko3 engine esp in the mid range where the standard one .struggles

Last edited:
Of course the current model will depreciate when the new model comes out, but that applies to the OP's 2.0T in question as well as a potential brand new S3. What will depreciate VERY quickly is a fcuked around with 2.0T made to look like an S3 which it clearly isn't.

When the new model is launched it will take a while to appear in SB S3 format anyway I think so no big deal about that. You can keep on waiting forever worrying about depreciation, or you can buy a car now and enjoy it.

If you try to mod a 2.0 BWA engine to make it up to 270/280 hp (Which is realistically what you'll see as a max before spending some serious dollar) then the insurance companies will bend you over and insert a dry/un lubricated item into your rear orifice. It's just a constant battle chasing the last couple of HP/lbft- I know, I've been there.

As I said earlier if you have the funding for the S3 then go for it. If you want a little more fun then stick some Stage 1 software on it, an APR fuel pump and Miltek DP & CAT (The OEM rear section is not a problem) you'll see a good 330hp and loads of torque.

im sorry but you just wont get it will you!! if he spent 10-15k on his A3 2.0tfsi... how much will he get back when he comes to sell it?? it will be a totally molested car.. unable to go back to normal..

buy the s3.. put as many parts on it as you like.. all are worth money when taking off and when you do take them off you have an S3... simple as that..

basically s3'ing, BT'ing, buckets, BBK, would all be a total waste of money... buy an S3 or wait till MY12 end of...

Well said - Exactly my point.

A 2.0 TFSi will never be an S3, simple as that. Mod it silly and the insurance companies will roll with laughter when you phone them up and it's resale value is severely compromised.

I would buy the S3,it sounds like you need a change of environment, so why spend on your current car, if you spend on your current car it is just dead money and it will never be a S3 at the end of the day. The S3 will also hold its value better and will put a big grin on your face.

I have recently been informed the new A3 is not due until 2012.

Mark