Tank filler emergency release - where is it?

topcaten

Reaction score
Hi,

My emergency tank filler release isn't were it's supposed to according to the manual:

img_9752_2_47debb6fc733681c6d39caef4c0d6e979c583219.jpg

This is what I see - nothing:

img_9753_72034d15a21eea9008f21e758416eb5ea3538302.jpg

When looking into the corner I see something white(?), might this be the emergency release? It feels like plastic anyways..:

img_9751_da83b5821eda2ad50de7df7ea14e5f1ebac3fecf.jpg

I guess mine is hidden/in a wrong place since a mechanic a while back changed a fuelhose and didn't put this back correctly (these covers was removed at that time)..

-> Can anyone show me how it's supposed to look like? Very preferably how it's supposed to 'drawn' in the compartment so that I don't break the damn thing if I'm forced to use it..

Many thanks in advance!

It's a red plastic cable.

It will have fallen. Mine when I needed to find it was a complete pain in the ***

You're looking for this

Obviously the other end will be attached, but the red ring pull end if what you're after
S l16001

like this, they tend to get tucked just behind the panel, have a rummage around.
IMG 3172

Thanks all - I've found it!
Quite unclear why the mechanic decided that it was a good place to fasten it to the screw for the tail light, especially since it was above the clip - doubt it would've moved if I've just loosen that plastic bolt..

IMG-9761.jpg

It also seems to work - you pull it and the lock gradually opens.
I'll check with VAG if I can get the white plastic to secure it correctly, right now it just free in front of the sub.

Reactions: tr7
That's not a bad spot to put it btw.

Very easy to remember and to undone.

Will never fall away.

The original OEM way isn't great, hence everyone who needs to find it while under pressure like yourself struggles.

I'd leave it as your mechanic put it

Maybe not, but if one should leave it this way, make sure that the 'wire' goes to the left, not to the right as mine - it will be hard to remove/operate if it's fastened by the clip which it is if 'drawn' as mine.

I needed to use it the other day when the fuel filer flap didn't open. This didn't open it either !!!!!!. Had to remove the fuel filler flap & pull the plastic bar that covers the fuel cap to get access, loads of WD40 & light oil & the release pin has been fine since. Bit scary when you have 90 miles left in the tank & can't re-fuel !!!.