Taxing a new vehicle

joinerman

Reaction score
My boys just bought a new car today & needed to tax it online, he has not got credit/debit cards so i have done it for him, the new system does not ask who now owns the vehicle or do any ins or mot checks, it just gives a reference number confirms i paid & says the vehicle is now taxed, don't seem right to me.

When I bought my car from a dealer recently, he told me that he could tax it as normal at the Post Office when registering it in my name.
I was quite surprised at this, as I thought it was only available through phoning the DVLA tax hotline.
Seems that not a great deal has changed but, it looks to be open to worse abuse than ever.

My boys just bought a new car today & needed to tax it online, he has not got credit/debit cards so i have done it for him, the new system does not ask who now owns the vehicle or do any ins or mot checks, it just gives a reference number confirms i paid & says the vehicle is now taxed, don't seem right to me.

The idea is, you have just purchased the car, and you need the green bit to tax the car. In order to get this bit, the seller would have needed your name and address(your details) during the transfer of sale.

I did mine at the post office near the dealer ship and they fill out a new keeper form to go with the tax

JoJo, yes he has the green bit, that's what i taxed it from, what I'm saying is they did no check whatsoever to confirm he was insured, it must have been processed on the previous keepers ins therefore there's a flaw in the system.