Taxing car at post office

bawbaws

Reaction score
Hi all .went tax my car this morning .couldn't find my mot.found out I could get one at any mot station.as long as I had my reg documents (vc5).got a copy and went to tax car.post master then told me I no longer need to produce any insurance / mot documents as the post office will check this .any one done this as can't find anything online to back it up.

It's done electronically, so all you need is the V5C.

I bought tax around 4 months ago on my previous car and I had lost my motor insurance certificate but the tax ran out on that day....

I went to post office anyway and they checked it online much like doing it online does and I walked away with the tax.

Went and did mine on 31st December, printed off my insurance got MOT ready.

Walked in presented it at the counter and they literally just stamped the document they needed took my cash and sent me on my way.

They didnt even open up the other documents which i had took with me

It is easier online but it's ridiculously more expensive which annoys me when I don't like paying that damn thing anyway lol.
I'll be glad when they do away with the tax disk and I've read you'll be able to pay monthly, 6 monthly or annual.

By that I meant that its ridiculous that it's more expensive not that's it's ridiculously more expensive lol

Andy what do you mean its more expensive??

Its the same price, whether you buy it online or in the post office.

If you pay by credit card online you get charged for using the card, but if you use a debit card it's the same price. Never done mine by card at the Post Office so don't know if they charge for using a credit card?

Been using online systems for years, did one of ours few days ago & arrived quickly for once.

Think its like £2.50 fee or something. I know it's not much. Bit of a cheek I think though. Like NHN has just said, does come quickly

If you pay by credit card online you get charged for using the card, but if you use a debit card it's the same price. Never done mine by card at the Post Office so don't know if they charge for using a credit card?

Used a credit card to tax the bike 2 months ago in the Post Office and no charge! :rockwoot:

Time is money, so actually going to the PO has its costs in fuel, time, etc, easily more than £2.50 if you take these things in equation, convenience of online is definitely far more worthwhile, to us anyway, but the tax disc is disappearing anyway & it wont be required to display in the next year the dvla say.

Reactions: jdp1962
Online I don't mind - it means you can do it at your own conveinience, not when the PO decides to open! and they're neatly printed rather than scrawled illegibly by some drunken PO master.

but I'd like to get something to display for my £200 odd quid a year, I'm gonna feel even more ripped off than ever with no certificate.

I prefer doing it online, just because its printed and tidy...lol!!