TDI 140 Economy

dan77

dan77
Reaction score
Just got tdi 140 quattro and as far as I can see from lookin around it should do 55mpg on the motorway, I'm struggling to get 50, and I'm driven like a granny, trying some injector cleaner in the current tank so I'll see if that helps, anyone else got an idea or are the advertised figures just really optimistic?

there is a number of factors that can do this tyre presures down, climate control on all the time , overdue service, dirty injectors etc.. but my guess 50 mpg isnt that bad

lol.striggling to get 50??? my 140 struggled to do 37, and my 170 cant get past 35...normally 32.Count yourself lucky mate!

Depends how fast you're driving... In mine if I average 70ish I get about 50mpg, doing 80ish I get between 46-48mpg, however I find a good hard drive usually helps clean her out and boosts mpg for a bit...

Depends how fast you're driving... In mine if I average 70ish I get about 50mpg, doing 80ish I get between 46-48mpg, however I find a good hard drive usually helps clean her out and boosts mpg for a bit...

Might out for a blast tomorrow before the commute back to work see if that helps,

photo-20.jpg

After 30 mile drive stuck behind long line of lorrys 20 miles A roads 10 town roads. Average speed of 50 - 55mph

Usually at 70 mph can easily return mid 50s

photo-20.jpg

After 30 mile drive stuck behind long line of lorrys 20 miles A roads 10 town roads. Average speed of 50 - 55mph

Usually at 70 mph can easily return mid 50s
i think i'll start driving behind lorrys from now on lol a while ago i drove at 55mph just to see how much it would go up to and my car when up to 59mpg not bad for a petrol car eh normally its around 48-50mpg

Depends how fast you're driving... In mine if I average 70ish I get about 50mpg, doing 80ish I get between 46-48mpg

Yeah thats more or less how mine is too. If you drop your average to about 55-60mph you can achieve 60 mpg.

The thing is I never end up driving like that all the time so over a tank get an average of about 55mpg which is still good.

check coolant sensor readings in measuring blocks via vcds.........if its reading below 80 deg C then its faulty and will be running on choke.:p

I couldn't tell you my average mpg but I can tell you that I get about 500mi before the fuel warning pings.

I drive mainly on B roads and on single carriageways A roads.

Hopefully after my long awaited service it'll improve.

I was getting about 47mpg on my 140, fitted a dtuk box at christmas, now gettign around 60-65 mpg. Not too bad I think.

i always get high 40's and into the 50's with varied driving and roads

I have a 140 on FWD and i average about 44mpg... but if i do 80 (naughty i know) i can average about 49mpg? Very weird? Ive never had the patience to find out the most economical drive :(
Try giving the car some of the ultimate diesel and a nice service using the lovely Longlife oil :)

I avg 60mpg on motorways - avg 70/75mph 2.0tdi tdi sport

There seems to be a much wider variation of MPG amongst 2.0TDI owners even when they claim the same driving style...
Having watched this forum for a few years, I think there really is a fairly wide difference between cars of the same type being driven in the same way - seems to depend on the particular car you have....

Firstly - the DIS display can be widely inaccurate. Mine over-reads by 10-15% so even though it says I'm getting 50 on a good 420 mile motorway run, when I brim the tank at the end, its really only been 43 or 44.

Next - tyres - they can easily make a 10% difference between brands, before you start changing the pressures...
And I can see a marked difference between new tyres and worn tyres - again, I assume the rubber on new tyres "moves" a bit and increases rolling resistance because when I change tyres (for identical replacements) I get less MPG with the new tyres than when running on the worn old ones.

And then there's tyre pressures. My 2004 model says run at 33psi front and 30psi rear for 18" wheels. Later models have much higher recommended pressures - why? who knows - but if I up my pressures to match the latest recommended pressures I get much better MPG but the ride really deteriorates....

My DIS says that I've averaged 49.5mpg over 42000 miles and five years...
The spreadsheet that I've kept which I've updated after brimming every tankful says that I've really averaged 43.5mpg - and have spent £4,700 on fuel since I bought the car....
Worst tankful came out at 36mpg, best tankful averaged 51mpg - that's calculated accurately from brim to brim, not using the DIS....

Last edited: