TDI exhaust options?

Nostromo

Reaction score
After hearing Bastets exhaust, i'm wondering if I can do anything with mine to sound a little less like a clattery diesel apart from the obvious of buying a petrol Avant. His is the 2.5TDI, mines the 1.9 (130). Just wondering what I could do and still meet emissions? I'm not even sure how many boxes I have in my exhaust system but assuming theres a couple, could I reduce it to one and increase the pipework diameter? Would it still run ok assuming I'd be reducing the amount of back pressure? I'm not too bothered with performance gains - I don't want to lose any either but a nicer sound is desirable.

Turbo diesels don't need back pressure to run properly, the less pressure the better. Unfortunately you won't get a 4 cylinder diesel to sound anything like a 6. The standard exhaust pipe diameters are good to around 200bhp. Getting rid of the cat and the rear box usually releases a better noise and a bit more power.

Karl.

Reactions: kanecullen89
Thanks for that Karl. Suppose I could always just keep the cat and standard pipe for MOT time. WIthout the boxes i'll get a fair cloud of soot out the back on hard acceleration won't I?

You haven't got a DPF on your car so it won't make any difference, You are likely to get less soot as the turbo will spool quicker and earlier putting more air in.

Thanks for that Karl. Suppose I could always just keep the cat and standard pipe for MOT time. WIthout the boxes i'll get a fair cloud of soot out the back on hard acceleration won't I?

As desertstorm said - mine still soots, but I have the faint idea that it's less than before. Do note that the 3" has been on there for almost a year now and a lot can happen in 20K miles that might change sooting. The turbo spools easier (noticeable), sounds more eager and blowoff sounds are much more audible.

I'm now running a center resonator (a straight through model with perforated sidewall + wadding + exterior wall) and it's changed a LOT of the exhaust note. The vid I recently posted was with that resonator. Without it, it sounds much more screechy, and WAY louder.

That said, I haven't really heard of a good sounding 1.9TDI exhaust.. they are either too turbo-fluttery, or they're simply too boomy. The 1.9 PD will probably always sound very diesel-ish.. As recommended above, I'd start by removing the mufflers one by one, replacing them with simple pipes.. check what you like after a week of driving, and see if it needs redoing. If you build it with flanges, you can easily swap parts and try different combinations (with/without center/rear/cat). I'd recommend getting a thick downpipe, as that will truly help your turbo spool quickly and will give you some more 'belching' and a 'throaty' sound. If you make muffler replacements pipes with flanges, you can combine different setups easily and see what you like best.

How is your MOT for diesels? In NL, only petrol cars have to be measured by a 4-gas system to measure CO, CO2, NOx etc... They all have a mark on their registration that says a cat has to be present.. Up until 2006 that is - after that, it's all OBD controlled/checked. For diesels, there's only one check: soot. Until 2006, you have to pass a soot check (from idle to redline at 60+ deg. oil temp, where the driver needs to floor it within one second (so no calm revving)... soot is measured and that's it). Pass the soot = OK. So for me, no need for MOT cat/downpipe, and no need for swaps..

Thanks guys, your input is appreciated. My issue is that I have no welding/pipe bending skills so its not the sort of thing I could just knock up then adjust as I feel like it. That being said, I've mentioned to one of my mates who has a welder that i'd like to try to build an exhaust and he's interested to help. Just need to find a decent source for getting hold of some stainless pipe, joiners, etc...

Bastet, what is your profile pic? It looks like a really muscly bald cat...

My 1.9tdi with both rear silencers removed and a de-cat pipe. Only the standard centre silencer still in place.

Is that something you made up yourself Greeny? I imagine with just one pipe it'd be quite boomy. Certainly looks the part and sounds pretty good to me. What diameter pipe have you used?

Had it made up at Demon Tweeks as I used to work there. I've kept the standard pipe diameter for ease of fabrication. It is marginally more boomy, but its barely noticeable in the car.

Reactions: adamss24
Bastet, what is your profile pic? It looks like a really muscly bald cat...

Haha you're the first one ever to question my avatar ;) . A friend of mine has two utterly small and adorable hairless cats (Sphyx). It's the right one on the first pic, and I think the left one on the second.

427199 10200729955230136 330716070 n

625676 10200866266277827 1769783960 n

@Greeny233 - that does sound good for a 1.9TDI. A bit too much flutter-like for my taste, but still, loads better than stock!

Reactions: Greeny233