Temp gauge help?

Sam H

Reaction score
when I drive the temp gauge doesn't move but after turning off and on the gauge reads correctly. I will then set off where it sits at 90 for a while then slowly drops and goes back to 0, I had it plugged in to a diagnostics tester and a 'major coolant fault' came up along with a code number but I can't remember what the code was. Is this the thermostat or temp sensor or something else? Thanks in advance :)

Reactions: sirbobalot and Sam H
Make sure you buy genuine! Mine was doing exactly as yours was, swapped it out for a new, non oem part, was worse.
But the bullet and went to audi, £32 later (if I remember rightly) and now perfect

when I drive the temp gauge doesn't move but after turning off and on the gauge reads correctly. I will then set off where it sits at 90 for a while then slowly drops and goes back to 0, I had it plugged in to a diagnostics tester and a 'major coolant fault' came up along with a code number but I can't remember what the code was. Is this the thermostat or temp sensor or something else? Thanks in advance :)

How long is the car left between turning the car off and on and seeing the temp gauge read correctly at 90°C? If its literally seconds then I would think the CTS was dodgy but if its a few minutes, enough time for heat soak, then I would guess at the stat tbh

Stat has failed and is stuck open -> car never heats up because the coolant is always diverted to the radiator -> turn car off - temperature increases because there is now no air flow over the radiator (it heat soaks) -> turn car on and see a hot engine at 90ºC -> drive the car again with air flow over the rad and it all cools down again

So I changed the sensor but didn't solve the problem had a look today and the thermostat was indeed stuck open just clearing up for anyone else with the same problem