Temp Guage not working - coolant temp sensor changed

Johnboymason

Reaction score
i bought my audi a4 1.9 tdi 130 se a few weeks back and the mpg is terrible round doors about 27mpg on a run about 38mpg and my temp never ever goes past 55 so ive changed temp sensor and its still the same with crap mpg just put £20 in yesterday done about 80mile and its gone, but it seems to vary off £85 at £1.39.9 a litre i only got just short of 400 miles and advice or has any1 had the same problem???? im going to change the thermostat tomorrow hopefully that works and d.i.y tips on how to change

Last edited:
If the sensor hasnt fixed it the the stat will

tips yes watch the back of the alternator it will still be live and if you touch the wiring with a spanner you will get sparks!!

when you come to put the new stat in put the new seal and stat on to the housing and rotate the stat 90 degrees the housing has two prongs inside it to hold the stat while you place it in to the hole in the block

dont drop the screws they fall between the engine mount and are a pain in the *** to get out

get some coolant to top it up

It's behind the alternator if you follow the bottom hose from the rad you will find it

cheers mate ive had enuf of it now im taken it back to the garage lol

Dude its a piece of cake to do as I just did mines too today. The top screw is a piece of cake to get out and the screw on the bottom is a bit of a fiddle because of all the wires are there, however both are do-able if you have a medium length extension for the ratchet. Both screws are size 10.

Honestly for me it was like an air filter change.

Dude its a piece of cake to do as I just did mines too today. The top screw is a piece of cake to get out and the screw on the bottom is a bit of a fiddle because of all the wires are there, however both are do-able if you have a medium length extension for the ratchet. Both screws are size 10.

Honestly for me it was like an air filter change.

i cant find mine im useless lol