Temperature gauge

Kris6383

Ze germans are here
Reaction score
Hello everyone, when driving home from work yesterday I noticed my temp gauge was sitting between the 90 and 100 mark, it's happens a couple of times before, what could cause this?
Cheers

On my golf mk4 i experienced this. Common fault with the coolant reservoir. The sensor for temp is inside the reservoir and is common to failing after many years. Part only cost £15 or so and resolved the issue.

Im not saying it definitely is this however worth an investgation...

Khm no the temp sensor sits in the coolant flange on the right side of the engine. The sensor in the coolant reservoir is a level sensor. But yes if you get erratic readings it could be the temp sensor on its way out. If its fine than maybe the thermostat or water pump. Scan it first to see if you have any faults. When my temp sensor went it was constantly giving erratic readings like showing 70 degrees when car was cold and next second 50 and so on.

Does it cool down as you increase speed, and warm up when you slow down? If so, could very well be your thermostat is stuck open a bit.

My temp gauge sat between the 90 and 100 mark again this morning, whilst I was driving, I turned the ignition off for a split second when driving, and started up it again and the gauge read 90 smack on, and didn't move what could case this?

Cheers

I reckon faulty temp sender I've just replaced mine as some days temp was sat bang on 90 and other days temp was up and down on the gauge

No fault codes, are the temp senders easy to fit? Where do they go?

Cheers

Dead easy to fit it's literally a 5 minute job.
If you look on the right hand side of the cylinder head you will see a plastic Union bolted to the head with hoses connected to it, the sensor is in there it's just a matter of removing the wiring connector pull out the plastic clip that holds the sensor, then remove sensor make sure you lube the o ring up on the new sensor

Dead easy to fit it's literally a 5 minute job.
If you look on the right hand side of the cylinder head you will see a plastic Union bolted to the head with hoses connected to it, the sensor is in there it's just a matter of removing the wiring connector pull out the plastic clip that holds the sensor, then remove sensor make sure you lube the o ring up on the new sensor
cheers dude il change it the weekend see if it works, how much are they?

I think it was about £30 from Mike the parts guy off here