temperature gauge

D

DEMON JAMS

i have a 1.8tsport (163) everynow and again whilst im travelling and the car is warm, all of a sudden the temp gauge drops back to minimum as if the car has only just been started:uhm:, AND NO ITS NOT BECAUSE THE FAN HAS COME IN, im not that daft :jester:honest, it will only do this perhaps once every couple of months or so:shrug:. does anyone have any ideas or has this happened to anyone else, any help would be grateful:sos: cheers lads

Hi. This happens to me exactly as you explained and has progresively got worst. Its now more like: its twice a week that it starts to go back up to 90 on the gauge.

Its gone in for a service 1st thing in the morning and have told him to wiggle around where the sensor connects as its probably a poor connection. I'll keep you posted.

if its the sensor or wiring it should have logged a fault code, the other possibility is the guage itself, thye have been known to stop working in a similar manner.

I agree - I suppose it should throw up a fault code it they diagnose it. Got mine back today. He said he usually just replaces the sensors cus they are prone to faults. He charged me £25 +vat and half hour labour.

We had so many problems with my wifes A2 when we bought that. Thank fully they were all sorted under warranty. The temp gauge was a baffling one all the same as they must have looked at it 4/5 times with no error codes coming on until i had the tech come out with me until it did it. They eventually replaced the gauge and wiring under warranty:)

If your'e out of warrenty the odds are it will be a dry joint in the back of the gauge. The temp and fuel gauge are easy to remove and check. I did mind and it fixed it. Slopppy soldering by Bosch!!!

Hi Marko - I have the same issue. Sometimes the gauge works ok, other times it doesn't go any higher than 50, and other times it only drops as far as 50 with the engine off and keys out, but goes up to 100 when at normal temp. Has to be the dial, as I heard a noise almost like cog wheels trying to engage but just missing. Any pics or info on how to remove said gauge to check? Cheers