Tempsender Lifespan?

Ro55

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
When i first got the car back in february,first thing i noticed was temp inbetween 50-90.
so i replaced with a genuine sender.

Tonight its back inbetween...

But 4 months old its failed? i checked on VCDS was showing 68.9 so thats after a good 40 mile drive at 60mph
in 25 degrees heat.

Am i missing something?

If it's reading cold and the sender is good your thermostat is probably stuck open...

Thats new as well,replaced at the same time.
But how do I know the sender is good?

So if VCDS and the gauge read the same its good?
A new thermostat it is then.

Jumped the gun on the title lol :blush:

Last edited:
That is the theory and should be the case if temp was checked with VCDS

Temp was checked again today.
sitting in traffic it reached 90...on a run it was inbetween again.
got home got the VCDS out and i got this

If the temp gauge went up when not moving or going very slow in traffic then it is def your stat that is stuck/at fault.

Mine did this once and when I took the stat out, I discovered one of the locating prongs had broken off and got stuck in the stat preventing it closing to allow the engine to get up to temperature, so running cool all the time.

I would be taking the stat out and checking it.

If you bought the parts from TPS they come with a 24 month guarantee off the top of my head.

I ordered a stat housing picking that up today, what worried me was the vcds reading to the sensor.
Ill do the stat first this time it's cheaper too.

I read that the gauge in the car is really quite imprecise - apparently it can read 90 when the temp is actually between low 80's and almost 100. I would think that as long as it's not fluctuating then the stat is probably more likely.

When the temp sender on my old B5 started playing up the gauge was jumping between 70 and 90 very quickly.

From whats been said im pretty sure my stats at fault.however when i replaced it the 1st time,i dont remember these tabs inside.
It looks like the tabs are there so the o-ring and stat are held in to aid fitting?
if this is right then my original housing never had these and was very fiddly...do these pics look right?

Yes spot on mate, not uncommon for the Prong's to be broken off if it gets stuck when being removed.

****** car is going to be like new when im done.should have bought a b7 s4.
Ive had to go to whsmiths today to get plastic wallets and a ring binder for all these reciepts.
And ive filled it i kid you not.

It had broken off,its wedged in there,but i replaces it all now.
All sorted many thanks,good advice as always cheers all!!!

ADMIN change title please to avoid confusion.

No problem and same as me, but I just boiled the stat on the hob in a pan ow water to open it up and take the prong out......been perfect ever since