Terminal 58s Error - Dash buttons not illuminating

***DK***

Reaction score
Hi guys

B8 S4 issue.

For a long time i've had a Terminal 58s error showing against Central Electrics but it never really caused an issue. Then suddenly this week I noticed that some of my buttons and air vent dials are not illuminating.
Buttons i've noticed not illuminating are:
Parking Sensors
ESP
Parking Brake
Ring around cig lighter in ash tray

and all the air vents front and back

I've noticed when I turn the light switch so the buttons light up, the overhead dome ambient red leds flicker and then die.

From what I can read its pin 31 of the T32 connector in the J519 comfort module that sends the signal to the buttons and dials. I checked the pin today and its all in fine. I can't see any obvious breaks in the wiring anywhere.

I tested voltage on that pin 31 when all plugged in and turning the light switch on/off, it seemed to climb up some volts then fall back down to zero.

The wire goes to/from the headlight dimmer as well which oddly does still work for the other buttons that are lighting up.

Anyone had this issue and managed to work out what it was?

Thanks

Last edited:
Case closed - I pulled the MMI DVD unit out and retraced my steps with wiring I had done for the Drive Select Switch retrofit. Unwrapping some of my wire tape I saw that the 58s signal wire had some exposed wires where I had attempted a splice in the past. That was touching a slightly exposed earth wire splice I had used for the switch. I should have shrink wrapped properly but did it in a rush and this was the result, hours of wasted time. Lesson learned.. do the job properly first time!
Anyway, all working now, code cleared for good.

In case anyone else needs useful info on the wiring of the Terminal 58, see a detailed reply from a member on Audizine - my duplicate post here