Test driving the Q5 tomorrow...

A3 on stilts.
Never sure where these smaller SUVs fit in?

I agree, especially in the Audi range.
You can already buy a quattro A3.
You will soon be able to buy an A4 allroad.
So the Q5's normal USP of 4x4 is completely negated.

It doesn't apply to other small SUV's, like the X3/CRV/RAV4
They are often the only 4x4 option in that manufacturer's range.
So one can see the point of them there.

As a rival to the X3 and as a more upmarket alternative to the CRV/RAV4.

I rather like the look of it and it is on my list for my next car.

To me, it's Audi's equivalent of the Golf Plus.
No advantages over other models.
Just a bit higher, with the disadvantages that will bring (handling).
I'm not anti-SUV.
I like the CRV and I like the look of the new Volvo XC60.
But I can see the point of them in their ranges (only 4x4 option).
Driving them's a whole different ballgame.
I had a 2.0D X3 for 2 months, loaned to me by the dealer while they waited for my Alpina.
I hated that thing with a passion.
Awful thing to drive.
The wife loved it though.:keule:

To me, it's Audi's equivalent of the Golf Plus.
No advantages over other models.
Just a bit higher, with the disadvantages that will bring (handling).
I'm not anti-SUV.
I like the CRV and I like the look of the new Volvo XC60.
But I can see the point of them in their ranges (only 4x4 option).
Driving them's a whole different ballgame.
I had a 2.0D X3 for 2 months, loaned to me by the dealer while they waited for my Alpina.
I hated that thing with a passion.
Awful thing to drive.
The wife loved it though.:keule:

I dont like the X3 either, one of the bosses used to have one. I thought there was far too much engine noise and its really quite a bland car. He has a 520d now, miles better in every way!

Volvo XC60 looks smart... I'd have one of those.

I'm genuinely curious as to why anyone would be interested in a Q5.
What advantages do they perceive it has over an A3/A4 quattro?
It's miles more expensive than either of them, for the same engine and running gear.
Take the Q5 170bhp 2.0tdi S-line.
It's a whopping £ 31435.00.
The equivalent A4 saloon is £ 27405.00
The equivalent A4 Avant is £ 29305.00
The equivalent A3 sportback is £ 24385.00

I can't see the Q5 offering any more interior space than some of the above.
They can't seriously claim offroad capability, it's going to be useless.
So it can only come down to styling.
Mental.:scared2:

For me none of mentioned make sense.
If I want something bigger I will buy an A4 or 3series.
If I want bigger again I will buy an A6 or 5series
If I want to transport loads of kids about, I will buy an MPV.

I dont need Off road capabilty. (How many owners Do ??!!) So I just dont get the SUV thing.

IF I moved to the sticks and did need Off road capabilty at some point, I would probably buy one of MEGA cheap big SUVs that litter the market at the minute.
I would never in a million years stick a brand new 30odd grand through the muddy stuff.
Part of what make AUDIs attractive is the sublime interiors.
Not a place for muddy boots !:motz:

I had a Cherokee on hire last year for 2 weeks . Great in the quarry where we were working, pointless on the road.:think:

These little SUVs are a niche too far IMO.

cheer
Paul

These little SUVs are a niche too far IMO.

I don't agree with this entirely, as some people want 4x4.
They might not want to go offroad, but they want it for snow etc.
But in a range that already offers plenty of 4x4 alternatives, it is definitely a niche too far.:tocktock:

We have the VW Tiguan at home because mom didnt want to wait for the Q5 to be launched here, but if it's anything the same, it's a really really sweet car! The driving is just like a lifted S3 with much less power.

It may look big, but it's not that much heavier than the golf/a3 it's based off.

For it's size & shape, I've averaged 8to9 l/100km on a nice highway cruise, or 13 when I'm gunning it (very illegal speeds in the uk). City driving consumption is all over the place because I drive like a ****, and mom takes it easy.

I don't agree with this entirely, as some people want 4x4.
They might not want to go offroad, but they want it for snow etc.
But in a range that already offers plenty of 4x4 alternatives, it is definitely a niche too far.:tocktock:

With the exception of this year, much of the UK gets very little snow.
I live in the North of England and we havnt had any level of snowfall to justify a 4x4 SUV for 3 years!

I actually agreed with your previous view on this:

"Of course, you get all the 4x4 smartasses using this as justification for them dragging around 150kgs of unnecessary metal for the other 360 days of the year.:blahblah1:"

Like I said, I just dont get the small SUV concept at all especially the Q5, for the reason already stated.
Why not have just buy an A3 Sportback?
Workmate of mine lives in the sticks, tows his sailing boat around, carries mountain bikes, and his A3 SB 170 derv does it perfectly.

I respect those who choose to have one, its just not for me.

cheers
Paul

I guess if they ride better than the hatches they are based on then thats a good enough reason depending on where you live.

The roads are pretty crap here, full of bumps and potholes. Quite a few people have Discovery's or similar for that very reason! Not sure if the smaller SUVs like we are talking about ride as nicely though?

I guess if they ride better than the hatches they are based on then thats a good enough reason depending on where you live.

The roads are pretty crap here, full of bumps and potholes. Quite a few people have Discovery's or similar for that very reason! ?

Exactly, we already have loads of SUVs that will do this very well, and have the space advantages too.
But I bet most Q5 customers live in the City anyway.

And for the fashion conscious city folk, its not like its even a proper status symbol.
The Q7/X5/Cayenne/Range Rover fills this space.

(Sounds like Im on a right old rant here :))

And for the fashion conscious city folk, its not like its even a proper status symbol.
The Q7/X5/Cayenne/Range Rover fills this space.

Why so much hatred towards the Q5/Tiguan/CRV here?

It's much smaller than a range rover, q7 or the likes, and hell lot more easier to park and maneuver as well.

I do not like "tall" cars when I'm out of the city, but I can see it's allure in town. You just ride over the bad roads, you get to see much further, and it's nice to never scrape the car when going through a speed bump or steep ramp.

We always get sudden downpours here and with a crappy water dispersion, there's always quite collection of water on the road..like a mini pond. It's super fun driving through them in the tiguan (and the q5 too I expect) so as long you do not splash at pedestrians/cyclist.

<yes, I'm trying to justify the reason we have tall cars in the family>

Why so much hatred towards the Q5/Tiguan/CRV here?

It's much smaller than a range rover, q7 or the likes, and hell lot more easier to park and maneuver as well.

I do not like "tall" cars when I'm out of the city, but I can see it's allure in town. You just ride over the bad roads, you get to see much further, and it's nice to never scrape the car when going through a speed bump or steep ramp.

We always get sudden downpours here and with a crappy water dispersion, there's always quite collection of water on the road..like a mini pond. It's super fun driving through them in the tiguan (and the q5 too I expect) so as long you do not splash at pedestrians/cyclist.

<yes, I'm trying to justify the reason we have tall cars in the family>

Dont hate them, just dont get the concept.
Its like the car makers have `created` a gap to fill.

Im all for progress, but we seem to have niches within niches these days.
The X6 is another good example of this.

Anyway, if you need a small SUV to have a laugh hooning around in puddles then thats good enough justification for me !:)

cheers
Paul

No hatred here either.
I've already said I like the CRV and new XC60.
I just don't see the point of the Q5 in an Audi range already full of 4x4 cars.
Especially when it's no bigger, but miles more expensive.
If it was the same price as an equivalent A4 quattro, fair enough.
Just choose your preferred bodystyle and buy away.
But there is no justification for the Q5 being thousands of pounds dearer.:no: