tfsi (all) intake leak fix, I thought should be shared

Davill9

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Just thought I’d share this with people in case it is not well known and stumbled across this by accident when trying to order a dipstick gasket at TPS yesterday.

They sold me a yellow whole unit rather than just the o ring at top, as an inlet smoke test the other day showed smoke & hissing from my original.
To start with, I was annoyed they sold me the whole unit but on looking, it is identical apart from re designed top seal section as you will see in picture.

I fitted, and has stopped rough idle, chugging like a diesel when pulling away slowly, made the car (driven slowly) run so much smoother and so on.
I am about to try and add pictures of the 2 side by side to show failings and differences along with vwag sticker

Bear with, as I am new to forms full stop so may struggle to add my first pics

Attachments

• 858D8BCD-7BBE-4B80-89F3-A1F47EE18DE2.jpeg
    858D8BCD-7BBE-4B80-89F3-A1F47EE18DE2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Reactions: LEE69
Yeah you need to keep the pcv sealed, that worn dipstick wouldn't be keeping it sealed

It won’t let me post other pictures as it says file too large but the above pic shows everything needed.
Sorry people, you will have to zoom in.
I’m sure I will work it out but posting is all new to me. Sorry everyone

Last edited:
Yeah you need to keep the pcv sealed, that worn dipstick wouldn't be keeping it sealed
It absolutely did not mate that’s for sure.
just thought I’d let people know..... if they don’t already that is.
I bet the majority of un changed ones won’t be sealing pcv thus on idle giving slight un metered intake air leak

Last edited:
Reactions: aqibi2000 and LEE69
Hi everyone,
Just thought I’d share this with people in case it is not well known and stumbled across this by accident when trying to order a dipstick gasket at TPS yesterday.
They sold me a yellow whole unit rather than just the o ring at top as an inlet smoke test the other day showed a smoke machine hissing from my original.
To start with, I was annoyed they sold me the whole unit but on looking, it is identical apart from re designed top seal section.
I fitted, and has stopped rough idle, chugging like a diesel when pulling away slowly, made the car (driven slowly) run so much smoother and so on.
I am about to try and add pictures of the 2 side by side to show failings and differences along with vwag sticker

Bear with, as I am new to forms full stop so may struggle to add my first pics
So to clarify, this part is exactly £10.45 + from TPS and the old one , I would imagine never properly seal as it allows the o ring to slide all the way up to the top and requires constant hard downward pressure on it to make it seal

the new one has a captive groove to lock the o ring in place lower down and actually seal properly.
Hope it helps anyone that doesn’t already know this and pic shows exact part number.

my car is 2008 BHZ s3 8P but I’m sure all positive crank case ventilation engines will have same issues which is why it’s in general not 8P section !

This can throw your idle fuel trim adaption right out on both short and long term,
Look like a boost leak, pcv fail, lambda fail, cat fail, even seem like a dual mass just about starting to fail etc potentially,
as it gets more air than metered until pcv shuts off, so send ecu signal to over fuel causing knock on affects inc misfire on live data block 32/33 I think from memory.

so may save people money on un necessary replacements to track down faults.

N.B. Just double check part number is still same for your vehicle if it’s not s3 8P

all the best everyone.

Last edited:
This dipstick is a common issue by the looks of things (check the sticky preventative maintenance).

I recently had to replace mine as the plastic just feel apart as I pulled it out to check the oil level.

Sent from my M2007J17G using Tapatalk

Reactions: nluk100 and Davill9
This dipstick is a common issue by the looks of things (check the sticky preventative maintenance).

I recently had to replace mine as the plastic just feel apart as I pulled it out to check the oil level.

Sent from my M2007J17G using Tapatalk
Just had a look now and seen it already listed on there, along with some other very useful information too.
fair play to the other poster for that guide. !

sorry for re posting same thing twice, I am very new to forums and haven’t had a proper look through yet
Hopefully the list of symptoms may still help others add that bit more info too if they aren’t able to do smoke/pressure tests

I would say yours snapped the lower part of, hence the o-ring not seperate & why your o-ring is at the top,, hence why its not sealed, just checked mine & its designed as per your new one & mines year's old, so its the same version, but a different colour.

I would say yours snapped the lower part of, hence the o-ring not seperate & why your o-ring is at the top,, hence why its not sealed, just checked mine & its designed as per your new one & mines year's old, so its the same version, but a different colour.
Fair play mate.
obviously my issue is fixed now, changing to new yellow one.... but if you can be bothered that is, I am interested more than ever now after re - looking at my photo. It does look snapped.
I would like to try and match yours up with my part number to mine if I can’t physically see 100% if it has snapped off just out of interest really as I always like to see exactly how and why things fail and I had just put it down to a vag fault and revised part was a cure to the issue but although it snapping off would still not be great, and still a fault in manufacturing, it would be better than them putting the seal right at top with no chance of ever sealing from factory as the orange one is in pic

Is your one orange?
and is part number where the part has snapped off on my one?
I’m going to go and have a look at my one now to see if I can tell what has happened.
love it when someone throws a spanner in the works, cos that’s how you learn more
And thanks for taking time to reply. Much appreciated input !

My old TT had intake leaks, turned out to be down to the dipstick.

Reactions: Davill9
The PCV has also been updated with a revised part so you may want to think about replacing this too.

Reactions: Davill9
The PCV has also been updated with a revised part so you may want to think about replacing this too.
Hi mate
Yes I have fitted the genuine revised one already before going further with pressure:/smoke testing
cheers though for advice
Much appreciated.

My old TT had intake leaks, turned out to be down to the dipstick.
Yes I had a look the other night and it has definitely snapped off and the previous owner, rather than fixing, obviously thought it to be ok to just stretch o ring to the top in the hope it sealed (no chance there)