Thanks Audi

Steve_N

Derv Power
Reaction score
Had the car MOT'd on the freebie from Audi, and the it passed with only a couple of pick ups. One being the the rear pads and disks are close to being 100% worn. How easy is it to change these or is there some special tool needed because of the handbrake connection. I know from when i had the LCR you had to have a special tool to wind the piston back in are the Audi's the same. By the way its a 2004 1.9TDI Sport.

Should be very easy. Not sure of the back brake design but even if you need to do what you said there. You dont need that tool. You can just use a chisel/screwdriver and a hammer and work the piston round until it goes back enough to get the new pad in. The tool just makes it easier.

Chisel Screwdriver & Hammer....:faint:...What you telling him to do ronnie, Smash the Discs off!!lol...;)

Make sure the cap is off the reservoir and I used a rubber coated bar to prise the pistons further apart, dont need much pressure at all...Thats how to be a Gentle Butcher!!:respekt:

You don't need the special tool mate, I've found two easy ways of doing it:

1) Use a large G clamp, as you wind it in it winds the piston in.
2) Use a pair of circlip or snipe nose pliers and just wind it in.

Eeeeeaaaaassssyyyy!

You don't need the special tool mate, I've found two easy ways of doing it:

1) Use a large G clamp, as you wind it in it winds the piston in.
2) Use a pair of circlip or snipe nose pliers and just wind it in.

Eeeeeaaaaassssyyyy!

I didn't have a G clamp so got the tool for about £7. Takes 20 seconds...

Chisel Screwdriver & Hammer....:faint:...What you telling him to do ronnie, Smash the Discs off!!lol...;)

LOL.:rockwoot:

Wasnt sure if it was the twist style pistons on the back or not. Thats the way I have done loads in the past like that. But as you said if its the easy type. Essentially all you need to do is force the piston in one way or another. Remembering to take the cap of to allow the fluid to be pushed through the pipes. Be careful with the brake fluid. I would put a cloth round the reservoir just incase the fluid comes out as you push the piston back in.:salute:

Had the same advice, anybody know what the tool is called and where i can get one for that price?
Also I've never tried it before but am willing to have a go. Anyone have a writeup on the procedure or where i can find one?
Cheers

I just used some needle nose pliers when i did ours, they should easily wind in with those.

I dunno if it will actually need new disks though, unless they are really badly grooved i'd just replace the pads.

Procedures in the haynes manual, probably easiest way to find out what your doing.