That poorly designed Audi RS key................

Mike.46

Reaction score
I switched the 'Open all windows and sunroof function off after I twice came out to find all the windows and sunroof wide open on my car. (someone else on here also has done the same)

Today I opened my electric roller shutter garage door and thought WTF is wrong with that? as it cluncked evey second or so whilst opening................only to find the hatch partially open and the noise was the garage door slats tring to wear the paint off the bottom edge of the hatch.

The windows opening and now the (electric hatch ) opening has never ever happened in my whole motoring lifetime, therefore logic is telling me it's the keys silly modern design fault.

Any thoughts or fixes out there?

• Wow
Reactions: 3vans
I switched the 'Open all windows and sunroof function off after I twice came out to find all the windows and sunroof wide open on my car. (someone else on here also has done the same)

Today I opened my electric roller shutter garage door and thought WTF is wrong with that? as it cluncked evey second or so whilst opening................only to find the hatch partially open and the noise was the garage door slats tring to wear the paint off the bottom edge of the hatch.

The windows opening and now the (electric hatch ) opening has never ever happened in my whole motoring lifetime, therefore logic is telling me it's the keys silly modern design fault.

Any thoughts or fixes out there?

I’ve had the rear hatch open once while I had the key in my pocket, luckily there’s nothing above it in our garage.

I’ve actually programmed the rear hatch not to open right up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had the rear hatch open once while I had the key in my pocket, luckily there’s nothing above it in our garage.

I’ve actually programmed the rear hatch not to open right up.

It only partially opened in our garage until it hit the roller shutter door.

I was going to look into vcds and see if I could stop the key operating it all together, it could have been so much worse, it has hardly marked the hatch lid at all, it could have easily dragged the hatch up wards :scared2:

Ill just add it's also a PITA if I'm hoovering the boot area out......beep, beep, beep, and the f*cking hatch whacks the back of my head

Reactions: kayemill and itsbigyellow
Had the boot open a couple of times when I first got the car. Assumed it was the key but not happened since.

Is not a Generic styled key that all new S/RS models get.....???
Not sure to be honest, it just seems too easy for the various buttons to be pressed/activated when it's in you pocket

Not sure to be honest, it just seems too easy for the various buttons to be pressed/activated when it's in you pocket
I think it is the same fob that was on my TTS ....l put my key in a Faraday pouch because of this very reason

I think it is the same fob that was on my TTS ....l put my key in a Faraday pouch because of this very reason

Lika dis

e5c2af3c9a141e3029d62789c0dc7e9c.png

Yes ...you've got the RS logo on the other side have you not? TTS on my key fob
Yup that was just a crappy online picture i could find quickly as i'm not near my keys.......

Reactions: Jassyo06
I agree with everything said above.

I had to unset "windows open when unlocking option" as it was just too dangerous

I have also had to get out the car and close boot twice as the "open mechanism" has been activated. But @mike46 as my car is standard trim it only does partial release and the boot lid doesn't flip up. I am really sorry to hear yours opened fully (or as much as garage door would allow). I really hope it hasn't damaged he paintwork.

I have been waiting for a smart alex to say, well if you have so much trouble with it take it out your pocket when you get in car. But that defeats the object of having keyless go (or keyless entry if fited).

I never had any door/window opening shennagins with my VW keys.

Reactions: Mike.46 and Jassyo06

I had to unset "windows open when unlocking option" as it was just too dangerous

I have also had to get out the car and close boot twice as the "open mechanism" has been activated. But @mike46 as my car is standard trim it only does partial release and the boot lid doesn't flip up. I am really sorry to hear yours opened fully (or as much as garage door would allow). I really hope it hasn't damaged he paintwork.

I have been waiting for a smart alex to say, well if you have so much trouble with it take it out your pocket when you get in car. But that defeats the object of having keyless go (or keyless entry if fited).

Never had any issues with the old key on the 8V.

It's the electronic gremlins in the car @Mike.46 ?

No it’s the ease at which the buttons can be pressed whilst in a pocket.
Never ever had it on the 8V.

Power tailgate is a liability, especially if you have low garage roof or electric door.

Exactly as regard the VW keys and as I now cringe when I think back as the door went bump-bump-bump as the slats rode up my hatchback and my thoughts where ''What the f*ck is wrong with the garge door'' ................I know better now, luckily no damage at all that can be seen, amazing and very lucky.

I believe in 'Lucky' and 'unlucky' cars, this one is starting to fall into the later category, I'm very tempted to 'get rid' I have had more than a few 'thats it, it's going' moments, my main gripes are..........

Very little theatre, still too quiet but better with ASR controller
Stupid key, I find my self checking the phone app as I get about half a mile away to see if I activated something as I walked away
Audi 'Pre Sense' comes up as regular as it did on my my first Mk7 Golf that had it, probably once a week, twice yesterday with someone turning left in front of me
Panoramic roof that is just too noisy to ne open or tilted at anything over 30mph
Leather seats, (never been a fan) *** VW Golf R can have them and they're vented/air conditioned
Not convinced at all with Audi's Magna diff programming and needing bigger front wheels/tyres (why is it only 10 seconds quicker around the Norschliefe than a Golf 8R??) come on it's nearly an 8 minute lap, in reality that means 2 seconds quicker around most circuits
Paint that's so soft and needs someone standing there with a bucket of water watching like a hawk for any bird poo

Exactly as regard the VW keys and as I now cringe when I think back as the door went bump-bump-bump as the slats rode up my hatchback and my thoughts where ''What the f*ck is wrong with the garge door'' ................I know better now, luckily no damage at all that can be seen, amazing and very lucky.

I believe in 'Lucky' and 'unlucky' cars, this one is starting to fall into the later category, I'm very tempted to 'get rid' I have had more than a few 'thats it, it's going' moments, my main gripes are..........

Stupid key, I find my self checking the phone app as I get about half a mile away to see if I activated something as I walked away
Audi 'Pre Sense' comes up as regular as it did on my my first Mk7 Golf that had it, probably once a week, twice yesterday with someone turning left in front of me
Panoramic roof that is just too noisy to ne open or tilted at anything over 30mph
Leather seats, (never been a fan) *** VW Golf R can have them and they're vented/air conditioned
Not convinced at all with Audi's Magna diff programming and needing bigger front wheels/tyres (why is it only 10 seconds quicker around the Norschliefe than a Golf 8R??) come on it's nearly an 8 minute lap, in reality that means 2 seconds quicker around most circuits
Paint that's so soft and needs someone standing there with a bucket of water watching like a hawk for any bird poo

Lol yer getting as bad as @Snake Pliskin and me for having gripes……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/USER]

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Mike.46

Re paint, yep, way top soft. Used to have leighway with bird poo and insect squat, not any more. Even with coatings. I've got some nice etching on the roof edge/bonnet edge from insects, not visible until dusk and will soon come out but still not great.
As for bird poo, I do twice daily laps round the car to check, really paranoid about this, especially with the heat and with it being berry season.

Reactions: 8YARWY and Mike.46

Glad to hear that the boot survived, I think you're right on the lucky car situation. It doesn't sound like a scenario where the car would come out unscathed.

I went microfibre seats and in general I'm very happy with them, it does me the seats do have a little bit of contrast.
Yes, feel the is a liability and from my perspective if it was accidentally unlocked while I was out with it, I would just hope it re-locked after 30seconds and no undesirables had clocked the lights.
Pre Sense actually worked the other week, it didn't need to as my foot was about to apply brake, Clearly RS3 has KITT self-preservation properties. I actually thought it only flashed up to say...sort out your driving mate you're about to rear end that car. For some reason I thought Audi wanted more money for it to actually brake itself (can't imagine why I thought that)
I'm saving the tyres, so I just drive (responsibility in an straight line) and admire the light show on the dash.

Reactions: RS03???, Mike.46 and IanL-RS3