That port in the armrest storage - What does it do?

J4MMYz

Reaction score
Hi guys, hoping someone can shed some light on what the little port/connector/whatever you want to call it does, I only know about the audi phone box, but if that is not specced what is it actually for?

Wanting to know since i'll ask my dealer for an iPhone lightning cable for it if it's any use, if it supplies power to the phone that'd be great!

iOS 8 isn't battery friendly on my iPhone 5 -_-

Cheers!

Its for the AMI cable, yes it charges the phone and you can stream music from it at a better quality than bluetooth.

Its for the AMI cable, yes it charges the phone and you can stream music from it at a better quality than bluetooth.

The light has been shed! I will have to invest in it, especially if it charges the phone, most of the 12V outlet adapters are crap and fizzle out from working after a while...

Is there any proof that it's a lot better than streaming bluetooth? Bluetooth Audio is on the vans at work, and between a cable or audio stream I can't tell any difference.

Hopefully theres not, as i'm a massive OCD with 'the best quality' so i'll have to keep forgetting my phone is plugged into the car instead of keeping it in my pocket :p

Sure mine has "AMI" written above the port......

Sure mine has "AMI" written above the port......

Mine has nothing written above the port because I don't have it yet! I don't think I would've known what AMI stood for anyway. Haha

There's a slight improvement in sound but if its plugged in to charge the MMI will automatically switch from bluetooth to AMI. The cable is free and comes with a standard USB adapter too, make sure you get the lightening cable with a yellow collar as thats the most recent and features like album artwork are displayed on the screen proving the picture is the right size.

Reactions: Helifella
There's a slight improvement in sound but if its plugged in to charge the MMI will automatically switch from bluetooth to AMI. The cable is free and comes with a standard USB adapter too, make sure you get the lightening cable with a yellow collar as thats the most recent and features like album artwork are displayed on the screen proving the picture is the right size.

Woah, let me just gather what you said there -

*FREE*?

Holy cow, your lying aren't you? :p - cheers for the info, will make sure I get that one!

The light has been shed! I will have to invest in it, especially if it charges the phone, most of the 12V outlet adapters are **** and fizzle out from working after a while...

Is there any proof that it's a lot better than streaming bluetooth? Bluetooth Audio is on the vans at work, and between a cable or audio stream I can't tell any difference.

Hopefully theres not, as i'm a massive OCD with 'the best quality' so i'll have to keep forgetting my phone is plugged into the car instead of keeping it in my pocket :p

I almost guarantee its the fuse especially is you're plugging in sat navs, phone chargers from the £1 shop. Cheap fix.

The dealer will give you an AMI lead for free if you ask. I got a yellow Lightning AMI lead for my 5S and the sound from the iPhone is pretty good, certainly better than the SD card which is average.

Reactions: J4MMYz
I almost guarantee its the fuse especially is you're plugging in sat navs, phone chargers from the £1 shop. Cheap fix.

Yeah, what I failed to mention is that I do pay cheap for the adapters to charge the phones... I've got a decent one with me at work which has lasted ages, I can't remember the brand but it's a popular well rep'd one.

Will be handy to charge it in the box, since if I accidentally leave it in there it's not on show for every man and his dog to see.

J4MMYz - If you want the best quality audio then there is so much more than bluetooth vs AMI.

Audio formats/bitrates etc and from your sig you don't have tech pack so won't play FLAC.

Lots of discussion on those on other threads but ~320 kbps bitrate .mp3 or .m4a and either AMI or SD card will be your best option, especially when there is probably only a cheap DAC chip in there……

John.

J4MMYz - If you want the best quality audio then there is so much more than bluetooth vs AMI.

Audio formats/bitrates etc and from your sig you don't have tech pack so won't play FLAC.

Lots of discussion on those on other threads but ~320 kbps bitrate .mp3 or .m4a and either AMI or SD card will be your best option, especially when there is probably only a cheap DAC chip in there……

John.

Yeah, I recently downloaded a live performance of my favourite band and HAD to find a 320kbps bitrate - haha. I think it'd be best to just do something and stick with it, I just know i'll be constantly trying out different methods of playing music in the car, so I think I had best just stick to something and not know the other :p

Remember that you'll probably always get best sound quality from an SD Card as it's a digital platform with no data flow restrictions, so if you have a 320kbps file then it will play at that level. Apple restricts the data flow I believe to 256 which is AAC. AMI is handy and so is bluetooth but if you're a real audiophile then go SD :D