The Avant Project - A Work In Progress.

Like the look of the Audi Sport decal! Have you checked the measurements of the blank plate on your calipers to make sure they'll fit?

I like the Audi Sport - They come in 3 sizes - 2 of the following: 105mm x 9mm, 95mm x 8mm, 85mm by 7mm.

Sure one those sizes will fit nicely, but I'll measure up the plates when I get them back.

I like the Audi Sport - They come in 3 sizes - 2 of the following: 105mm x 9mm, 95mm x 8mm, 85mm by 7mm.

Sure one those sizes will fit nicely, but I'll measure up the plates when I get them back.
Strange that T8ups would give you bulbs that would throw up errors.

I'd def go with the Audi Sport decals if they fit. My plan for the spring it to get the wheels off and paint the calipers and splash guards...

I've just ordered the black coolant and washer caps. R8 oil cap next!

Reactions: RS5 JON
Strange that T8ups would give you bulbs that would throw up errors.

I'd def go with the Audi Sport decals if they fit. My plan for the spring it to get the wheels off and paint the calipers and splash guards...

I've just ordered the black coolant and washer caps. R8 oil cap next!

I bought the LED bulbs knowing that would probably throw up an error, some have fitted them & had no bulb warning though, I'm hoping to get some VCDS stuff done in the next few weeks, so will get them coded out then.

Might order the 'Audi Sport' decals tonight, so I've got them ready for the calipers next week.

I'll post some pics of the H&R ARB's later, now they've arrived!

H&R ARB's

Very nice! They'll make a big difference! How much did the ARB's cost you?

Have you used the Carista app yet? I bought it and an OBD II scanner and have enabled needle sweep, oil temp gauge, fog lights as cornering lights, rear DRLs and chirp on locking...

The ARB's were £270 + Postage.

How much was the OBD II Scanner? Worth getting? You got a link to it?

You'll need to let us know what you think of the ARB's once you've got them installed. Are you running Bilstein dampers with your Eibach Pro springs?

The OBD scanner you need depends on whether you have an Android or Apple phone. I have Android so only needed the bluetooth version and it works flawlessly! Here's a link:
Amazon product

If you have an iPhone then you need to buy the bluetooth and wi-fi version - still a similar price thought. There's a thread on this site with folk recommending some for iPhones.

The Carista App is free to download for iOS and Android but, when you want to make your first mod, there's a one-off £15 charge. You can then make as many mods as you want at no further cost. It's great!

You can also clear fault codes with it as well. If there's an actual fault though, they will reappear.

I'll write up a decent review on the ARB's once their on & I've taken her for a drive.

I've just got standard dampers, but coilovers may be on the shopping list later in the year.

I've just downloaded the Carista App, just need to get myself a Scanner, the Carista one is £32 on Amazon, but will have look about for a cheaper version & have a read of the reviews on this forum.

As we've got the same car, can you list the mods you've done, so I've got an idea of what I can do, Cheers!

The app is really straight forward and the mods are done using "on/off" switches. The mods I've done are:

needle sweep, oil temp gauge, fog lights as cornering lights, rear DRLs and chirp on locking, passenger mirror dip on reverse... You can alter more to do with the lighting and locking, but the ones I've done are the main ones you'll be buying the app and scanner for.

One thing I've been meaning to ask you - my A4 comes up as a Special Edition too, but I'm yet to work out what the difference is with the standard S Line...?

One small mod I'm about to do - I've bought a genuine shark fin from a B7 which I'm going to grind the fixing off, have it painted gloss black and mounted on the roof.
DSC 0004

Reactions: GjrBartlett
Cheers for the info, I'll look into ordering a OBD Scanner tomorrow.

Good Question.... I haven't got a clue what the difference is between the Special Edition & a standard S-Line either!

I'll be interested to see the Shark Fin when fitted.

Gareth/Matt, your A4's are going to be two epic cars when you eventually get done modding. :hubbahubba:
JG

Reactions: matt_cunningham1985 and GjrBartlett
Gareth/Matt, your A4's are going to be two epic cars when you eventually get done modding. :hubbahubba:
JG

Cheers JG, It's appreciated!

Question is, will they ever get finished... I doubt it!

I like the look of those arb's what size are they and what size are the standard ones?

Caliper decals...
I don't really want S5 as not in keeping with the car & not really fussed for the the standard S Line decal either, however, I quite like this...

Or

Thoughts...

Just found out they come in a choice of 58, yes 58 different colours!

I'm thinking White, Black, Silver or Grey...

Friday Night Shift's are looking up, Couldn't pass up this opportunity for a picture...

Boultbee Flight Academy's 2-Seat Spitfire, Absolutely Priceless!!

Reactions: mcwharam and RS5 JON
Just found out they come in a choice of 58, yes 58 different colours!

I'm thinking White, Black, Silver or Grey...

Two sets ordered in White & black, just need the Calipers back now!!

Reactions: matt_cunningham1985
Any update on your calipers mate?

Evening Mate,

Spoke to 'Perfect Paint' this morning, calipers are painted & in with the garage next door for rebuild, so hopefully I'll collect them tomorrow.

Audi is booked in for Service, Brakes & ARB fit next Wednesday. More £££!

Any update on your calipers mate?

Well, where do I start...

Just been to 'Paint Perfect' in Lincoln this morning, after receiving an email telling me the calipers were already for collection.

On arrival I spotted the calipers in a box next to reception, so while the manger chatted to the customer ahead of me, I got stuck in!

What I found, whilst they looked really good, I immediately spotted a caliper badge missing, when I enquired, I was informed that it broke when they stripped the calipers down, I appreciate things break, but nobody bothered to let me know, so I could source replacements!

Furthermore they left one of the badge legs embedded within the caliper & just painted over it! I asked for this to be removed, so they did so & promptly scuffed all the paint around it = repaint!

So I've asked for the other badge to be removed & they'll now need to repaint both calipers, hopefully they'll be done by tomorrow afternoon.

I'll update more over the next day or so...

Feel your pain Gareth, bunch of idiots! :wtf:

No doubt though, they'll get you sorted and will be worth the wait. :yes:
JG

Reactions: GjrBartlett and matt_cunningham1985
Feel your pain Gareth, bunch of idiots! :wtf:

No doubt though, they'll get you sorted and will be worth the wait. :yes:
JG

Hopefully so mate, I'm collecting them next week now, as didn't finish till late yesterday.

On the plus side, had a play with my Carista OBD Scanner this morning, cleared a few fault codes & enabled a few mods..

Needle Sweep on Start | Seatbelt Warning Disabled | Flash Brake & Hazard Lights when Emergency Stopping | Passenger Mirror Tilt | Tail Light - DRL's | DRL's On when Indicating.

So that's cheered me up!

Currently she's booked in for Wednesday 27th Jan for Calipers/ARB fit & Service, but may delay that till the following Monday, whilst I wait for the Caliper decals to arrive & now need to visit my local Audi dealership to pick up some S5 Caliper Badges, I may just leave the S5 badges as they are & fit them.

Some nice mods added with your Carista Gareth, needle sweep was the first mod I done on my A4, just love it, it's so cool.

When you've fitted the caliper badges, give them a couple of coats with clear nail varnish, it saves them getting tarnished.

ARB's are on my to do list, just waiting for your thoughts on how the car handles with them fitted.

JG

Some nice mods added with your Carista Gareth, needle sweep was the first mod I done on my A4, just love it, it's so cool.

When you've fitted the caliper badges, give them a couple of coats with clear nail varnish, it saves them getting tarnished.

ARB's are on my to do list, just waiting for your thoughts on how the car handles with them fitted.

JG

Thanks JG,

Really pleased with Carista, some good little mods, for not much £.

I've got some clear lacquer in the garage, so will spray the badges in that before I fit them, probably will just leave them as S5 for now.

Review of the ARB's will be forthcoming, when I've taken her for a few enthusiastic drives!

Reactions: matt_cunningham1985 and RS5 JON
Off to Lincoln Audi in the morning to order some more caliper badges...

Quick Question, am I right in thinking that the calipers off the S5 are the same as the S4, same B8 platform, same size discs & pads etc..

If so, can I fit S4 caliper badges 8k0698221 as opposed to 8t0698221 on my S5 calipers?

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Yes, as far as I know the badges should be the same size, only difference is whats on the badge, S4 ones will suit better, IMO.

You may get a fright at the price of them mate. :scared2:

JG

Yes, as far as I know the badges should be the same size, only difference is whats on the badge, S4 ones will suit better, IMO.

You may get a fright at the price of them mate. :scared2:

JG

Well that's good, I bit the bullet this morning at Lincoln Audi & ordered a pair of S4 badges & yes I was slightly alarmed at the price, but then again it is Audi! Hopefully collecting tomorrow morning.

Collected the calipers earlier & dropped them off with Just Audi VW, Lincoln for fitment tomorrow.

Sounds like it's all coming along nicely Gareth.
JG

It certainly is!

Calipers & ARB's are fitted, review will be forthcoming on the ARB's in a week or so...

Reactions: RS5 JON and matt_cunningham1985
It certainly is!

Calipers & ARB's are fitted, review will be forthcoming on the ARB's in a week or so...

Looking great, it's been well worth the wait! Looking forward to hearing the reviews of the new stoppers and ARB's. What's your initial thoughts on the drive home?

Last edited:
Looking great, it's been well worth the wait! Looking forward to hearing the reviews of the new stoppers and ARB's. What's your initial thoughts on the drive home?

Afternoon,

Can't really give an honest opinion yet, the drive home was through slow moving rush hour traffic along the straightest road (A15) in the UK & mindful of the need to bed the pads in, so not really tested handling or braking yet! I'll let you know soon.

Looking good, and yes, well worth the wait, and the S4 badges look right at home.

Think you need a set of 19 inch Rotors to finish them off, you know where they are if interested, :whistle2:
may even give you a discount.
JG

Looking good, and yes, well worth the wait, and the S4 badges look right at home.

Think you need a set of 19 inch Rotors to finish them off, you know where they are if interested, :whistle2:
may even give you a discount.
JG

Yeah, pleased I opted for the S4 badges as opposed to S5.

Thanks for the offer on the wheels, but that's my spending done for now, time to stand back & admire for six months! Dont think I'll do much more this year now, busy with work & a few other priorities.

And admire it you should, once the ARB's ect are on, you'll have an A4 that not only looks good but will handle great too.
JG

And admire it you should, once the ARB's ect are on, you'll have an A4 that not only looks good but will handle great too.
JG

Thanks mate,

I'll hopefully take her out for a 'proper' drive next weekend, whilst the wife & kids are away! So should have some more info on the ARB's & the new stoppers.

Theirs still a few bits I want to do, paint rear calipers, RS4 roof spoiler, new summer wheels, led indicator bulbs, but I'm in no rush at the minute.

Yeh, when the wife's away, us car guys get out to play. :racer::racer::racer:

You've done alot recently mate, you can get to the point where spending on the car becomes addictive, and you just buy stuff for the sake of it, I should know, spent a fortune on my previous A4, it did look good though, IMO. :yum:
JG

Took the Avant for a little blast down a few back roads after work this evening, so my initial thoughts...

The car definitely feels a lot flatter through the corners, very little body roll when thrown into a few consecutive 90* bends, so really impressed with the performance of the ARB's, not really stood on the brakes yet, so don't have a full opinion of the S5 set-up, I'm also mindful of the need to bed the pads & discs in, so will give it another few hundred miles...

Right I'm off to the pub now, soft drinks only as I volunteered to drive!