The blue lagoon

S38pkyle-ing

Reaction score
So after years and years of promising myself I’d own my dream car I finally saved enough money to buy one, and I got myself a 2016 RS3…a thing of f’ing beauty if you ask me .

For ages I couldn’t find one for the right price with the dynamic pack (which is the main extra I wanted) and I wasn’t going to pay ridiculous money just for that, I also originally wanted nardo grey and being a stubborn fella wouldn’t even consider anything else…..however, what I ended up getting in my opinion is and absolute stunning colour! Right price, right mileage, right-ish optional extras (comfort, nav, black packs).
C283616F 89F3 4D80 9F03 3BB5FB2C7C73
770C6BA0 7763 4BF1 B84B F51252EB098C

Absolute stunning piece of kit!!
That 5 cylinder sound too…biblical haha. Obviously it would be even better with the upgraded sports exhaust but we’ll come to that.

I won’t lie though, the whole new car experience was tainted by the fact the day after I got it an abs wheel speed sensor failed tripping all my driving aids: hill hold, adaptive lights, parking sensors, stability control and of course the abs ( my dashboard was like Blackpool prom at Christmas). Luckily it’s in under warranty to get sorted this weekend.

So like I said the sports exhaust would have been better so already I’m torn; I don’t want a miltek or scorpion cat back and to be fair i don’t wana touch the down pipe at all, so do I buy a second hand oe sports exhaust or just go secondary cat deletes and cete valve controller ( oh I already have the pipes for the cat deletes, I went oe over miltek or scorpion too)…how much better would the factory sports exhaust be…is it worth the money?
0EC55F3A 75C5 4DAA 99D5 491A8545ADC5

I’ve also already got some springs for for the Girl, I went for the Eibach pro kit. Reason being the arch gap isn’t actually that bad I don’t think, and I’ve heard the sportlines with the bigger drop really sacrifice a lot more comfort then I’m willing to part with. Who knows maybe I’ll hate the subtle drop and upgrade further…only time will tell (and my bank balance).
EBB5B53E CEE0 492E B7DD 1FE99F4127D8

As for other mods in the future maybe a stage 1 mrc map, few bits and bobs from Maxton, and new wheels. But apart from that I don’t think I’ll be going overly mad with mods.
Although one thing I do want is to retrofit cruise control as it is sorely missed on the motorway!

Like I said I don’t think I’ll be going too mad with mods and tuning, money being the overarching factor in this, It really pains me to even process the maintenance costs of the car; services, tyres, brakes, this that and the other.

But yeah…short and sweet, i used to be on here with an 8p s3 and the knowledge and input from everyone on here was invaluable in helping me make decisions and rectify problems, so no doubt I’ll be asking everyone for help again in the future.

peace!

Reactions: Keithm, Mr Freeze, Economist and 6 others
Congrats!

IMHO the OEM sports exhaust is better sounding than any of the aftermarket ones I've heard. I wouldn't change mine unless forced. Thankfully our cars are pre OPF/WLTP ... yay!

Maintenance isn't too bad, just usual stuff. Brake discs are a bit spendy but mine lasted 40k (non ceramic). Other than that it's as cheap as my old 8P A3 to maintain 50k miles in.

Also I have the cete valve controller and it is brill

Reactions: Chris S 1245 and S38pkyle-ing
Congrats!

IMHO the OEM sports exhaust is better sounding than any of the aftermarket ones I've heard. I wouldn't change mine unless forced. Thankfully our cars are pre OPF/WLTP ... yay!

Maintenance isn't too bad, just usual stuff. Brake discs are a bit spendy but mine lasted 40k (non ceramic). Other than that it's as cheap as my old 8P A3 to maintain 50k miles in.

Also I have the cete valve controller and it is brill
Cheers mate.
Yeah the cete is deffo tempting but I’ve seen that BULL-X do one too so that could be an option as well.

i won’t lie I thought I thought aftermarket cat backs like milltek didn’t use the valves but after 5 minutes of actually looking turns out they integrate with the cars normal valves, very tempting.

just out of curiosity mate what discs and pads did you opt for ?

Nice Car. Enjoy.

Reactions: S38pkyle-ing
Cheers mate.
Yeah the cete is deffo tempting but I’ve seen that BULL-X do one too so that could be an option as well.

i won’t lie I thought I thought aftermarket cat backs like milltek didn’t use the valves but after 5 minutes of actually looking turns out they integrate with the cars normal valves, very tempting.

just out of curiosity mate what discs and pads did you opt for ?
OEM discs and Ferodo DS performance pads

Bit of maintenance on the blue lagoon today, decided to swap the standard air filter for a BMC one. When I opened the air box though I found a Pipercross panel filter.
25A299EA 66F1 448C 8217 DA1CEC7A38A4

525C637D 0EF6 4211 81DE 09114CB66D2C

This thing was MINGING, more oil than a chip pan, the paint on the frame had melted and the whole thing proceeded to fall apart when I pulled it out. But cheap but twice I guess ‍♂️

Another fan of Audi sports exhaust here + decat rear pipes. Most mental sounding car I've ever owned.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Update time for the blue lagoon. Fitted the cete valve controller myself the other day, bit of flap but managed it (some very fiddly moments).

Also had the OE secondary decats and Eibach pro kit springs fitted (£537 labour charge i was almost sick) but hey…needs must and all that jazz. I’m sure I’ll have to let the springs settle but so far I’m well happy with the subtle drop and the ride quality seems to be perfect still which is a big bonus, I’ll link some pics below.

As for the decats and valve controller…. WOW WOW WOW I was impressed when I first got the car but what a sound she makes now! On full boost the gear changes sound like lighting striking the ground behind the car while the exhaust pipes roar through the revs! Plus now having the valves fully open through all gears means i get a gorgeous tone as i’m cruising about the estate and town at lowers speeds! I’m hoping it’l put me off getting an expensive miltek cat back (at least for a while!

next thing I’m thinking of is wheels, I really hate the big chunky OE ones, but now I’m torn between some black motec mrc2, or something silver/grey like a OZ racing superturismo LM.

Sitting on the new springs:

63093FEA DE1B 4094 8DB9 7F7CF7CE5C88
B8F7A45C 502E 44E8 8B2F 902DC045D868
6705589E B5E7 44C1 9421 D6DDAAB119CE
5B3154DB 203C 41D8 9D56 C18C8F6B0723

Reactions: Keithm, Alex.S3, Harvey and 5 others
I like the standard wheels but just not blacked out. Thought about getting them diamond cut?