The Cheap Mod Thread!

6000K Xenon upgrade?

£20 on ebay and the bulbs are actually top notch. I haven't done it personally, but did my Bro's X5

Welly you got a link to the bulbs you bought?

No mate, not on the S3. I bought them for my bro's X5 and fitted them on there though. Spot on.

I'm sure someone else will have done this though.

Another cheap mod for pre-facelift owners is the facelift S3 grille badge...

On ebay for less than £15.

It's one I shall be doing....

Just checking to see how they are mate as i know alot of people have problems with aftermarket bulbs.

They not too blue are they?

The 6000K is a really happy medium between visible light and blue colour.

They're the ones I'd go for....

my misus has 6000k on the A3....i personally think it looks more OEM if they were the next ones down the list....as it looks almost S3 like in the dark, except a tad too blue

If you go the VW route then arms with wiper blades and a cap for the rear will set you back £130

Are the bulbs in the links the same for the A3 or does the S3 use different ones? Also, can anyone give me an idea of the cost for a complete set of aero wipers, inc new arms, caps etc?

I'm assuming that the A3 in question has xenons? If so, check this page out: http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/

I checked on there for you, and A3 HID lights also use those D2s bulbs.

in my experience they vary for particular models. best bet is to take each headlight bulb out and have a look on the back.

my a3 1.8tq were x2 h1 and x2 h4 wheres my 1.8t is x2 h1 and x2 h7

in my experience they vary for particular models. best bet is to take each headlight bulb out and have a look on the back.

my a3 1.8tq were x2 h1 and x2 h4 wheres my 1.8t is x2 h1 and x2 h7

Xenon HID bulbs are a little bit different though mate. There aren't as many types as normal glass filament bulbs.

Most of the Audi range in all years use the D2S bulbs.

From talking to a guy off here (troopa) he mentioned that there can be issues with non-OEM bulbs. It sounded as though his needed to warm up before firing into life . . . any experience of this at all Welly?

From talking to a guy off here (troopa) he mentioned that there can be issues with non-OEM bulbs. It sounded as though his needed to warm up before firing into life . . . any experience of this at all Welly?

On the X5 I put one bulb from ebay in, and left the other one with the BMW OEM (£130 each) to compare.

They fired up exactly the same and took next to identical times to get to operation temperature. All HID bulbs, OEM or otherwise have about a minute warm up time before producing 100% of the light they are capable of. All with HID lights anyway should know this - you can see it when you fire them up!

I've got nothing bad to say about them. Yet.

Yeah, sorry lad, not quite what I meant.

Troopa said that he needs to switch the lights on, turn them off, leave for 10 seconds then switch on again and they'll work (which obviously put me off somewhat).

I take it from what you have written, this isn't the case with the ones you've fitted?

Oh, right. No, well not on the BMW anyway. I can't comment on the S3 as I haven't fitted them to one.

I would of thought what would be true of one would be true of all though - so if they work on the BM, I would of thought that true of the Audis.

Maybe the S3 has some kind of problem with the ballast and those bulbs? That said, if true, they wouldn't work at all....

Those were my thoughts exactly. May try this. Not that bothered as a mod though.

Yeah, sorry lad, not quite what I meant.

Troopa said that he needs to switch the lights on, turn them off, leave for 10 seconds then switch on again and they'll work (which obviously put me off somewhat).

I take it from what you have written, this isn't the case with the ones you've fitted?

i bought £20 ebay d2s bulbs i havent had any problems they come on fine

no worries mate just be careful with the ebay sidelights i payed £8 and only one works lol

Fan Style Washer jets from TT

(Mine were £15 for heated ones of Fleabay)

overview of modding link below

Link

Anyone know how much it is for the TT pedals?

Just picked some up from the Stealers for 40£ total. The item numbers are on the first page.

Thanks mate, are the TT pedals same as the LCR pedals?

What sidelight bulbs do we need again?

mine have both blown.

God thats lucky then, just did some impulsive buying and bought some, they are the ones i got haha.

Number plates without holes in them are always a winner. So get some made up, stick them to the car with velcro. Also means useful for removing during pictures, cleaning and putting personalised ones on for meets and events.

Number plates without holes in them are always a winner. So get some made up, stick them to the car with velcro. Also means useful for removing during pictures, cleaning and putting personalised ones on for meets and events.

Is the velcro really strong enough to hold the plates on?

It is fella. A lot of detailers like myself use it as it makes removing the number plates for cleaning/detailing much easier. My old car had velcro'd number plates for 6 years. S3 has run them for 4 months thus far with no issues.

thats a pretty good idea. but i dont go to meets that often anymore.

Do u take em off when u lock up for the night etc?

No, just for detailing and at events. Not been to a meet in the S3 so far, just the Clio, but it was still useful.

ahh k cool id be worried someone would pinch em! even some lil toerag thinking its funny lol